Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My picklehead week
Quote | Reply
I am not really sure what a picklehad is, but a while back Dan had an article about doing a swim intensive week and called it "be a picklehead".

So being a non swimmer, I have resolved to really focus on improving my swim for the upcoming season. So I actually got to the pool three times this week (not much but a lot for me) and did 7750 yrds, my most ever. I usually only swim about once a week, and had only done 96K for the whole season, before my three month layoff. The goal is to break 8K next week and 9K the week after. In the new year I will get on a 10K per week plan.

The good new is that I have only been swimming again for three weeks after 3 months with no swimming, but have been able to do as well as I was at any point during last season.

The bad news, well you can read my times below.

On Tuesday, I did 2900 yrds and did a 1000m time trial (1100 yrds). I split 8:45 for the first 500 yrds, 9:02 for the second 500 yrds and finished the 1100 yrds in 19:31. Based on most swimming assessments I have read that puts me as "speed skills impaired" as I swam over 19 minutes. I would have been very close to 19:00 minutes if I had kept up the pace, so partly I think I am lacking some swim endurance.

Easy swim on friday with a few drills.

Today 3000 yrds with a 10 x 100yrds on 1:45, finished in 17:25. I was swimming around 1:39 for most of the 100s. This was not too bad a workout, I often could not complete this during the season.

So the next step is to get some fins and really work on the kicking. I think this is a huge limiter for me. Need to keep reading the Doug Stern posts.

Anyone have any experience with making some big improvements, after spending several months doing over 10K per week? I would like to be able to get close to 60 minutes for an IM swim.

Anybody have any advice, other than do lots of drills.

Be a picklehead.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Last edited by: Tri_yoda: Dec 11, 05 17:20
Quote Reply
Re: My picklehead week [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have two guys doing 40km weeks right now, and another doing 30+ weeks :-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: My picklehead week [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but can they run?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of them is Sergio, who posted the 3rd fastest run split in Kona (yes, that is overall), so you decide...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a swimmer right now... but I don't want to be a picklehead.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You see, I had you as an idiot... but with this Forum needing a lift, I thought I would make my contribution and... contribute. Now I'm, regretting this of course...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone have any experience with making some big improvements, after spending several months doing over 10K per week?
Anybody have any advice, other than do lots of drills.

Be a picklehead.

I have spent the months doing the 10K, but don't have the experience w/ big improvements. I'm pretty sure I have had the lowest return on investment possible, in fact! My 1000y time is just a few seconds slower than yours.

I think the spirit of the picklehead experiment was to go overboard, way overboard. That means real yardage, like double what you'd do even if you were already putting a stronger emphasis on swimming. So for you, like 20K or more. As a fellow slow swimmer, I know how time consuming that can be!

SAssC above is referring to an elite who swims ~50% faster than we can/do. Not applicable/comparable IMO.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: My picklehead week [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You see, I had you as an idiot... but with this Forum needing a lift, I thought I would make my contribution and... contribute. Now I'm, regretting this of course...
Serves you right.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"10 x 100yrds on 1:45, finished in 17:25. I was swimming around 1:39 for most of the 100s. This was not too bad a workout, I often could not complete this during the season."

That's a good workout, threshold stuff, like doing med. fast 800s with 30-40 sec. rest running. Maybe try 8-10x200 a tad slower with 15-20 sec. rest? It would really be something to build up to. Lots of people who do IMs do 4 or 5X500 close to IM pace for their main set on their big days (big days being 5,000+ yards total in 80-90 min.). happy training.
Quote Reply