Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My first DNF
Quote | Reply
I realize I'm a little late to the parade with my post WF post, but as a reasonably active member of this forum, I thought others might benefit from my trying experience:

I had an Ok swim. 32mins on my watch (34mins on the official clock, I think. Prob. due to the long run to the timing mat.) I felt very strong and was excited for the bike. It was pouring rain and I took the time to grab some arm warmers from my bag.

I exited transition and started to head out on the bike. About 1mi or so into the bike, I hit an unmarked, water filled pothole that came after a modest decent. I heard one of the Cal Poly kids yell something that sounded like "All right!" as in "All right, dude!" What he must have been saying was "Go RIGHT."

I flatted my rear tire and, unbeknown to me at the time, cracked my Zipp 909 front rim. I labored trying to remove my tire in the rain. I did. I remounted a new tubular and began the inflation process.

I recently switched my microflate from one with a trigger mechanism to control the airflow to a "Dillinger" type one shot. Needless to say, I blew both my air canisters trying to inflate the new tire. Out of air, I began the long walk back to transition.

I decided to call it a day and not go back out on the course. I don't know why exactly. I'm still thinking about that.

Lessons to take away:
1. Dan is right. Take the time to dress appropriately in transition. If the day calls for arm and leg warmers, then wear them.
2. NEVER, EVER go onto the race course with equipment you don't have intimate familiarity with. The devil is in the details. Something as small as a microflate that I didn't know how to use cost me the race.
3. The Zipp people are really cool and the rep at the race said he would send me a new front rim straight away. No problem.
4. Have something to walk around in transition like sandals or water socks or something. Especially if it's cold and raining. Your feet will thank you.

Congrats to all who gutted it out. See you next year.

;-)

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply