Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My P2K: The Saga Continues
Quote | Reply
My LBS does not stock Cervelo anymore. This is a major bummer. I have a fair bit of loyalty to this store – they are triathlon specific and really know their stuff.

I have been measured and fitted by a Cervelo store, to which I owe no great loyalty but are also well reknowned for their fit skills. They have sized me to a 55cm P2K, and MY tri store agrees (using their previous experience).

Can anyone see any problems with me buying the P2K over the Net (from Nytro, for example) and then using some of the $$$ I would save from the Internet purchase to pay my non-Cervelo/favourite store to do the fitting? I potentially can save a lot of $$$ doing this, am comfortable that I have been given the right size frame and that I can get an excellent fit with my store. But I don’t want to rub anyone up the wrong way, and might need a lesson in authorized dealer politics etc…

Thanks for any advice.
Quote Reply
Re: My P2K: The Saga Continues [Oz Tri-Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Can anyone see any problems with me buying the P2K over the Net (from Nytro, for example) and then using some of the $$$ I would save from the Internet purchase to pay my non-Cervelo/favourite store to do the fitting?"

Personally I see no problem with this since your size has been confirmed. Retailer loyalty is one thing, but retailers do accept the fact that the consumer will go to where the best deal can be had. Sometimes I might be willing to pay a bit more if the service is better at one shop, but there is nothing wrong with the way you're approaching this since it is your money. I'm sure the one shop will still be happy to accept your money for a fitting, after all it's not your fault that they're not a dealer any more.
Quote Reply
Re: My P2K: The Saga Continues [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our local shop organizes rides, races, teaches triathon, MTB and road racing to newbies, Organizes newcomers, Gets biking into the public eye, teaches bike safety at schools, gets bike laws on the radio, etc. What is this worth to you OR is the dollar the bottom line and to hell with whats best for the sports, safety,kids etc?????????
As far as I know no mail order company has helped put on a race in our area!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's nothing wrong with this, in my opinion. I attempt to buy from an LBS (from a few, actually) whenever possible. Both of my Cervelos have come from one LBS. Most of my cycling clothing from another. When I can't find what I want locally, I'll occasionally order online. Seldom for the purpose of saving money, because I do appreciate having shops in the community. If you can't get the bike that you want (and what an excellent choice the P2K is) locally, buy online and continue to shop locally when you can. My 1cent...

Happy owner of a P3 and a P2T (with more to come)...

Daniel.
Quote Reply
Re: My P2K: The Saga Continues [tri_db] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My replay was to cervelo guy. I agree Buy local and expect them to promote the sport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a triathlon bike shop and think what you propose (IMHO) is 100% acceptable. You really gave your LBS a chance and you have still mantained your loyalty to them by shopping there for other stuff. One of the realizations I had to have when I opened a bike shop was that I wouldn't be selling every bike sold in the world. I have good customers who buy from e-bay, Supergo, Nytro, etc. Not a problem. They buy wetsuits from me, pedals, shoes, shorts, etc. Not a problem. Enjoy yur new bike!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: My P2K: The Saga Continues [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bike shop does not stock cervelo either but they were able to get the frame. Cervelo evidently has two levels of dealers stocking dealers and special order dealers. Stocking dealers evidently agree to keep a certain amount of merchandise on the sales floor and get a better price. Special order dealers get the frames one at a time and don't get as good as price. Anyway that was what was relayed to me. Hope I am not giving away a trade secret. The LBS was willing to do this because I have been a supporter for some time.
Quote Reply
Re: My P2K: The Saga Continues [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"My replay was to cervelo guy."

I agree that you should always try to support the local LBS. However he did mention that his regular shop was no longer a Cervelo dealership and that there was no loyalty to the other shop. He'll still be taking the Cervelo in for a fitting to the non dealer shop, so they'll still appreciate the business.

I'm also big into scuba diving and always support the local dive shop. On one occassion I purchased a regulator online because it was not a brand that they carried and I could get it cheaper online than from the other dive shop in the area which I do little business with. However, I take it to them for the annual checkup, so they don't mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would imagine that your LBS will be understanding so long as you are up-front with the owner. Don't just roll in with your P2k still in its Nytro box and ask them to build it up. The real annoying customer is the one who gets a great deal on his Colnago on ebay and then comes to the shop asking for a bro deal on the groupo he wants for his pro bike build. That is a good way to make sure that the shop owner works you over on the next group ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont know how much a plane ticket is to San Diego from where you are but Nytro has a fly and ride program. You fly in, the put you up in a hotel for a night while you ride, test and get fitted for a bike. Then they box and ship it to your home for free. You may want to look into it vice having your LBS do the fitting.

Greg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Our local shop organizes rides, races, teaches triathon, MTB and road racing to newbies, Organizes newcomers, Gets biking into the public eye, teaches bike safety at schools, gets bike laws on the radio, etc. What is this worth to you OR is the dollar the bottom line and to hell with whats best for the sports, safety,kids etc?????????
As far as I know no mail order company has helped put on a race in our area!

two of our local shops are very active in a lot of the things you mention. They sponsor local races, promote and organize trail cleanups, etc etc etc.

They also happen to do a small amount of mail order business. Nytro and Supergo Oceanside.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: My P2K: The Saga Continues [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats great if those big company's help local then buy from them they are local involved shops BUT most people buy from them then expect the local shop to hold races, develop trails, help with the grassroots programs, carry top end stuff, and only buy cables and tune-ups. Oh they will drink the free coffee.
Quote Reply
Re: My P2K: The Saga Continues [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supergo is more than just a local LBS that does a "little" mail order. Supergo is a heavy mailorder shop. They are big time in the business of selling knock off private label bikes like "Scatante" road bikes and my all time favorite..the "Weyless Super Light" which is a blatant rip off of the popular Santa Cruz Superlight frame. Supergo is a huge discount retailer that blows out products such as Cervelo and Ironman Wetsuits off season. They might do some local support in So Cal but they a classic mail order shop that does heavy email promotion. I purchased wheels from them once. Spinergy SPOX for 300 bucks. Great deal on the surface. Then when the rear hub fried after 4 months I had to deal with Spinergy's lovely customer service/warranty repair (not a fun, or inexpensive experience). Had I purchased a set of wheels from my local LBS I might have paid a bit more but wouldn't have had the aggravation of dealing with warranty repair (they would have taken care of it). At the same time, I do take advantage of mail order shops for the purchase of parts, chains/rings, tubes, etc. Paying 100% markup to my LBS for this kind of stuff that I am going to install myself seems money not well spent.
Quote Reply
Re: My P2K: The Saga Continues [chrismaginn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are so right that extra money is not worth it. Mail order!! But what would you pay to stay local and race as opposed to travel? To have new triathletes to train with? To have bike safety promoted in the media? That is what a local shop should do and WE should support it!!! I think our sport suffers from a lack of caring about newbies, grassroot programs, developing a true love for the sport, paying back/forward, What have we/you done this year to promote the sport?????????????????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we're on the same page. I spend most of my bucks at my LTS (Local Tri Shop-Transition Sports) where I purchased my Cervelo. We have a pretty active club and we're involved in providing newbie info, rides and support. As well, we volunteer at local races (me included). However if I am purchasing basic parts that Transition Sports doesn't supply, and the LBS is 50 to 100% higher for parts (like tubes, chains, cables etc) that I will be spending the time to install, then I won't pay retail if I can plan ahead and order online. For those that claim that I should spend every dime I put into the sport buying retail at an LBS that isn't even my primary shop (Transition Sports is), then I respectfully disagree. I think you can balance good fiscal sense and still support the sport locally. Again, as my earlier post describes, I don't advocate purchasing anything more than basic parts mail order. Both from the local support perspective, but perhaps more importantly from the benefits the buyer gets in support and warranty when buying from an LBS.
Quote Reply