Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My IMFL experience
Quote | Reply
My Ironman experience. The reason I am writing this is to give some hope to busy people who want to try and do IM. My background in sports prior to triathlon is basically zero. I am married, 34 with 2 kids(1 & 4) and own a business which I work at ~50hours/wk. I have done tri’s on/off for 5yrs with a few sprints, one Olympic and 3 half’s. On the way home today from IM FL I tallied up some numbers. On average over the last 18 weeks I trained 7.8 hours/wk. The last 2 weeks prior to the race all I did was one 3 hour ride (was sick with the flu-caught it from my kids). I am not genetically gifted as you can see from my 12:22 finish time, but I did finish and the race was fairly easy until mile 18 of the run. The only thing that I was consistent with was getting one long swim, one long bike and one long run in per week. Everything else I just filled in when I had the time. Some people can race the IM, but I was just trying to finish. My wife and kids are happy the race is over so we can spend some time together on the weekends. Overall the experience was good and I will probably do the race again in a few years. During the training I would always think about what emotions I would have crossing the finish line, but the only thing I thought was how glad I was to be finished and I wanted to sit down. Good luck in your training. Lurking on slowtwitch for the last few years has been fun, but I am ready for a couple of months break. Thanks for all the help.
Quote Reply
Re: My IMFL experience [slowrob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Some people can race the IM, but I was just trying to finish.

with a 12:12 finishing time, i'd say you did considerably better than "just finish".

nice work. congratulations!

- The Who
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
change your name to fastrob. That time is exceptional with a low (or high) volume of training. well done :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12:22 on your first IM........

......you Rock Dude.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a good article in Triathlete about someone who stopped doing triathlon to spend more time with family and life itself. What he found was that it was the triathlon lifestyle that made him who he was and others suffered for his unhappiness. Not all of us have time for IM's but there is plenty of other events that will keep you sharp and not require the commitment that the IM does. Great job and congratulations on a terrific time. Don't leave us, even for a few months.
Last edited by: u2: Nov 7, 05 11:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work Rob.

That's about my race resume' since kids (well I do a lot more Oly distance races). It's all about the balance and the priorities. Your family should always come first because that relationship, when healthy, is the foundation for everything else you do well.

Take a break and come back when you can.

Cheers!

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Re: My IMFL experience [tim-mech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the positive feedback it is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply