Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My Fast is Over! I'm now a FoodSlut!
Quote | Reply
My fast is over! I was going for three days, but I had had enough after two. The second wind I was expecting never materialized. I went downhill the first night and kept plummeting down throughout the second day. I ended it last night at 11 pm with a pretty big meal and promptly went to the bathroom afterwards. I never knew the digestive system could work that fast.

Symptoms included hunger, depression, moodiness, disillusion, sluggishness, the inability to focus and to hear voices, and the inability to engage in an intelligent conversation. This despite my best efforts to keep a positive attitude and to stay alert. It just wasn't working out for me. My roomate was chatting with me last night, and all I could muster were a few grunts, all the while wishing that she would stop talking so my head wouldn't hurt so much. Bless her heart.

It wasn't all bad of course. The first day was a rush because of the boldness of it all. I can see doing one-day fasts on a regular basis. I can also see going on special diets such as juice or raw vegetables for a few days just to mix things up. Perhaps the most valuable lesson is that I can tolerate hunger for an extended period and that I don't necessarily have to reach for food at the first sign of hunger. Extreme avoidance of hunger is as bad as extreme hunger in my opinion.

My pal Claude Winter is still shooting for three days. He said it wasn't a breeze for him either yesterday, but he appeared to have plenty of fight left in him. Another friend from the YMCA successfully completed a one-day fast on Monday.

KestrelKerri, best of luck on your own fast next week. I did it on water, lemon, and maple syrup. But I would advise you to cut out the syrup. It's nothing but a crutch, and it may play havoc with your system as it did mine.

Sojourner, thanks for freeing me of all time commitments. Listening to your body to determine when to end your fast is a good way to go.

Me on Monday night well into my downhill slide.

-----------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: BottomFeeder: Aug 17, 05 6:56
Quote Reply
Re: My Fast is Over! I'm now a FoodSlut! [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why were you fasting?
Quote Reply
Re: My Fast is Over! I'm now a FoodSlut! [BeeHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to see what it was like, to see how tough it was and how I would react to it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd been thinking about you and wondering how it was going! Glad to hear you stopped when your body told you too! :) Not sure when I'm going to do mine, but I'll let you know how it goes! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Symptoms included hunger, depression, moodiness, disillusion, sluggishness, the inability to focus and to hear voices, and the inability to engage in an intelligent conversation. This despite my best efforts to keep a positive attitude and to stay alert. It just wasn't working out for me.
That sounds like me on a good day... I'd better avoid this fasting thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well i tried to warn you ... your body will always have its revenge! Im glad you didnt go past the 3 day mark ... i was a little worried for you!
Quote Reply
Re: My Fast is Over! I'm now a FoodSlut! [paulgraham.ca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of doing a fast after getting back from IMC, since I won't be training, anyway, and to do a little sprucing up of the system...

You were right to listen to your "inner voice," for lack of a better description. Still, often I find that the voice is just bitching at me for not eating because so many of our life's routines and commitments are tied in with meals, and we're just used to sitting down to eat two or three (or even more) times a day. So sometimes that voice of protest doesn't die down until day three, when the toxins getting flushed out and the food withdrawl symptoms diminish somewhat. If you had tried and broken over the hump into day three, you may have found it easier going and even pleasurable.

By the above I'm not trying to suggest your fast was a failure or that you should have continued. Don't second guess the need to stop it and just focus on what you felt and what you might have learned from the experience.

Your post-fast excretion might also have been left over from before the fast, but just pushed out by the new food. A nice thought, I know, but it's common to continue bowel movements many days into a fast as there can be a lot of stuff in there within the digestive tract and its many folds.

For my disclaimer: The above is strictly based on my own experience in many 2-5 day fasts and around a half dozen 7-10 day fasts, plus some reading.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting experience isn't it?...

Not to hijack the thread, but if you can mentally get through the not eating part you get used to the feeling of being hungry all the time. Ask any wrestler or light-weight crew member who needs to cut weight what fasting is really like. Do your remember how you felt after 2 days? Try going 5 days like that and tell me what you think. Then binge for one or two, then do it again, over and over for the next 3 months. That's reality for those athletes (I know, I was one of those in HS), yes, definitely an eating disorder.. and technically not a fast since we would take in some calories, but a fraction of what was needed. The body would eat away muscle, fat, anything to keep the basic body functions going, brain activity moderate, etc.

I would not recommend fasting for any length of time. It can be done, but not sure why you would want to.

Anyways, thanks for sharing, hope you got something out of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can respect that. I was wondering if it was some type of preparation for a race or something. Now I want to do it! But food is my weakness. It's just so damn good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, but how fast are you?

The way you use FoodSlut, one word with second part capitalized, makes it seem like a proprietary, trademarked intellectual product. You should use the TM mark after it.

beyourownsuperhero
Quote Reply
Re: My Fast is Over! I'm now a FoodSlut! [Mookie1986] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Mookie,

I enjoyed reading your perspectives on fasting last week on another thread. I'm sorry I didn't respond to you to say thanks.

You're one hardcore dude! I bet not many people can identify with you, especially when you embark on one of those mondo 7-day fasts. That's hardcore.

Quote Reply
Re: My Fast is Over! I'm now a FoodSlut! [igobackwards] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"yes, but how fast are you?" Probably faster than you as I generally go forward, although I have been known to kick backward in the pool, so I can identify with you somewhat. :-)

I omitted the TM in FoodSlut deliberatedly so AndyPants would come after me. She's hot!

Quote Reply
Re: My Fast is Over! I'm now a FoodSlut! [Ben in WI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd hate to see what happens when you cross a wrestler with a model. The kid would probably crawl out of the womb hating food.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DAMN YOU!!! I insist you provide proper deference to the co-founder of the FoodSlut (TM) brand!

Besides, you'll never know just how hot I really am ;-)

Mwahahahaaaa!!!!

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: My Fast is Over! I'm now a FoodSlut! [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois described to me how hot you are AND scouted about my possibilities of taking out your hubby... I need to put on weight it seems ;-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: My Fast is Over! I'm now a FoodSlut! [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL, yeah I have to admit I wasn't planning on meeting Francois for the first time in a bikini! And yes hubby is a fairly big guy. Better start bulking up baby. ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: My Fast is Over! I'm now a FoodSlut! [Mookie1986] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So sometimes that voice of protest doesn't die down until day three, when the toxins getting flushed out and the food withdrawl symptoms diminish somewhat.

I don't doubt that after day 3 you might feel beter, but what exactly are these toxins that are getting flushed out, where are they stored in the body, and would not eating flush tem from your body?

If everything fails, I can still run faster than him :-p And honey... you BETTER be wearing a bikini when you meet me! ;-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: My Fast is Over! I'm now a FoodSlut! [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I guess I've set a standard now eh? Question is when the hell that will be...

------------------------
Quote Reply