Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Musselman course - Easy? Hard?
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,
With the announcement of Ironman Musselman next summer I have added it to my list of possible races to do. I was just wondering what the course is like?
I know they are most likely changing the bike course but is the area flat? Hilly? Rollers?
Is there any shade on the run?
Mid July so it’s going to be a hot race.
The swim looks nice. Has it ever been canceled?

Thanks in advance.

Quinner
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman course - Easy? Hard? [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raced this course one time. The lake is cold, but calm. I'm sure others will chime in, but I don't believe it's ever been cancelled. The RD of the former race has posted on this forum and could probably provide some great advice as well. The race has always been run in mid-July. The year I raced, temperatures were very pleasant.

I went over the front of the bike after hitting a pothole, but ventured on and don't remember much of the course.

The run course has several steep but fairly short ascents on the outbound after running along the lakefront path. However, the last 4 miles is virtually downhill or flat. Great support at the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman course - Easy? Hard? [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you read or heard the bike course will change? Wondering myself as there is a 3/4 mile section of dirt and rock that is horrible that needs to change or be repaired. Anyone with any info?
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman course - Easy? Hard? [TryPT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did was in an earlier thread posted in the spring that Ironman would change it. I believe it’s the section that goes through the park? I’ll try and find the link
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wrote this about it after I raced it in July and news broke of IM taking over:

"My first thought was also about that rough stretch through the park on the bike. Didn’t think it was necessarily terrible riding through there by myself but don't know how that’ll go if you increase participation 500%. Also feel like some of the run course isn’t really set up to accommodate that kind of traffic.

This was my first musselman and I enjoyed it but I’m interested to see how ironman manages things next year"

I thought the race was very well produced but that the course was a little iffy. The broken asphalt/dirt access road on the bike and narrow sections of the run were fine for a few hundred people but I wonder how they would handle 2000. Some slight modifications though would take care of it. I enjoyed racing there though and I'll still have it on my radar as an option in the next 2-3 years.

I wouldn't call it easy necessarily, but its not a hard course either. It rolls on both the bike and run, and the aforementioned road conditions slow you slightly, but the potential for heat is the biggest factor.

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman course - Easy? Hard? [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies everyone.
Here was the thread from July that talks about the race and that section of the bike course.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._%5BC2B%5D_P6981038/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious that IM has this race scheduled in mid July. It’s too close to LP to be used as a tune-up race for that. Late June, around the time of the old Syracuse race, would have been better.
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman course - Easy? Hard? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They kept it the same weekend that it always has been before they purchased. Wouldn’t be surprised if eventually that changed. Although moving it to June would put it up against Tremblant. There are already a ton of eastern races in June... the new Virginia race, Eagleman, and Tremblant off the top of my head.

Quote | Reply
It's a perfect tune-up race for IMMT -- 5 weeks out. That's what I'm using it for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband and I are now registered for Musselman! Looking forward to the course and the Finger Lakes area! And not having to fly for this race will be a bonus!!! Hoping it will be a hard course. This is our prep race for IM Wales in Sept!

The course maps are not up yet but both the bike and run sound like rolling terrain from the descriptions. Having been out to the area in the past, it's very pretty with big rolling hills. I also love all the little vineyards and wineries. (no extra time for wine tasting this year)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman course - Easy? Hard? [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it hysterical that they misspelled the name of the race on their main 70.3 page.

It seems like they are keeping to local tradition and holding the sprint on Saturday and half on Sunday. No news on course changes or if the 'double' will be an option.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman course - Easy? Hard? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I find it hysterical that they misspelled the name of the race on their main 70.3 page. .

Looks right to me. You do know it’s named after a sea creature?
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman course - Easy? Hard? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks right to me. You do know it’s named after a sea creature?
---
Sigh- I wish I could take a screen shot from this machine: On the 70.3 page I linked, spelling= Muesselman. Official spelling= Musselman

And, serious question here, did Jeff name the race after that 'sea creature' the zebra mussel?

Quote Reply
Re: Musselman course - Easy? Hard? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s funny. When I just looked it was right.

Yes he did.
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman course - Easy? Hard? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping an older thread, but question didn't need a new thread.

Does anyone know if this race will have 70.3 Worlds slots, specifically to St. George? I can not find any info on the IM website or anywhere else.

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman course - Easy? Hard? [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to the Registration Page (scroll down to the Registration Options--> Please Note), there will be slots available to the 2021 70.3 WC. It does NOT tell us how many slots will be available.

Quote Reply