Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Musselman
Quote | Reply
Warning : This is a shameless plug.

Major kudos to Jeff Henderson. Got back late last night from Geneva, NY and the Musselman/mini mussel. Awesome!!!! Great race, great weather, great venue. I highly recommend this race. I only have two complaints, one minor. He advertsied the bike course as flat, I would say rolling hills. Me and this other guy about my size were trudging up a hill, he was riding a Tiphoon with Hed 3s, me on a Saber with a Renn disk. I made a comment about the hill, he said, hills were brutal for big guys, but at least we had cool bikes.

The swim - the shore of the lake was really shallow, everyone was wading several hundred yards out, in search of water to swim. In a sprint distance, I think I swam about 3 minutes. I spoke to Jeff afterwards, he said he needed to work on it for next year.

After the race - fantastic. They had massage therapists and chiropractors working on people, plenty of food, drink, music. This was the first long trip I took for a race and it was a great experience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also had a great time at this race. I didn't think the hills were bad at all, I'm not sure there is any truly flat area near the Finger Lakes. The swim was disappointing but what can you do. Being a first year race I'm sure they will figure it out for next year.

I would definitely consider doing this race again in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman [tower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe how well the day went being its first showing. I was particularly impressed with the energy and helpfulness of the volunteers. When I thought about taking a breather, expecially after that gravel hill between miles 6 and 7 of the run, the volunteers at the next aid station got my spirits going again. Even the kids triathlon brought smiles to everyones' face later in the day. Fantastic.

To top it off, the awards were unique and practical. Natural pain killers will help heal aching legs and cuts from zebra mussels...
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman [hominid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, great race...well organized and fun!

That dirt road climb in the middle of the run was tough and unexpected. My run pace was never the same after that...my quest to break 4:30 continues.

The guy who won the race was flying, I think it was the young Aussie that Jeff mentioned in one of his pre-race e-mails.

I saw one dude blatantly drafting for about five or ten miles on the southbound stretch along Lake Geneva...he had his name written in big stickers on his wheels, but I can't remember it.

Cheers,

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As my first half, I thought it was great. Jeff did a killer job.

Found the bike to be reltively flat, but the run organzier told my the run was flat. That gravel hill nearly killed me, and my entire run time sucked.

My buddy gave the guy who won it (Kane) a ride up, and we hung out with him at dinner the night before and after the race. Super nice guy.

Great post-race, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman [mfreeman72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto on the race organization. It was simply flawless. I was incredibly impressed, and I hope that this race attracts a capacity crowd next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman [tower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey, it's not that the hills were bad, just hills! I hate hills. I'm a flatlander. I thought it was a grat race, really a lot of fun. At one point , though, we turned left and looking at the road to the horizon, I could see that it was a gradual incline. That's motivation. The guy that won, he was a good ten minutes ahead out of the water. That was amazing. But, as I said to Jeff afterwards, its wasn't swimming, it was water aerobics. Now I know why I saw so many people with water shoes on. Even so, I thought it was auniques swimming venue. Everyone had the same issue, so it was fair. My girlfriend said it looked like dolphins leaping in and out of the water, everyone trying to swim, and seeing that it was still too shallow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: frogonawire: Jul 12, 04 14:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a great time. Lots of food, water, gels ,fruit, sponges every mile on the run. Great music on the run .Did anyone see the girl playing violin at the 5 mile mark of the run?This was the most organized race I have ever bin in. Great job Geneva.

Thom
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here was my question. What was the deal with the building we passed on the bike ride -- it looked like a church -- that only had black cars, lots of them, in the parking lot?
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman [dhcrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whare was Lester the Dog ? I was going to stop at the church but my bike is green.
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the race organization was excellent. All details were in fact thought out and well executed. Jeff and the whole town of Geneva should be acknowledged for a job well done, especially for a first time race. Per Jeffs request I will make some constructive comments to his website but will post them here as well.

1) Swim was "unique" given I walked/jogged for almost 3 minutes. Still had a very good time for me (36:00 min)

2) Concur with the other posters that the bike course was not "flat" as advertised but given where I live it was a welcome ride. Rode 2:32 and was happy with that although was shooting for sub 2:30.

3) Run course was very tough. I was 30 seconds per mile slower than planned but could have been the heat . Possibly could have been my nutrition plan too. Not really sure what happened but got off the bike and both quads really were tight and cramping. Never could get my heart rate down either. Ended up finishing with a 1:43 for a total time of 4:54

4) Both run and bike were well marked with plenty of volunteer support.

5) Aid stations were well stocked and appropriately spaced throughout the course.

All in all I will definitely be back next year and will spread the word to help get more participants. Again great job Jeff.

Bob Imbriale
Quote Reply