Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Multivitamins and nausea
Quote | Reply
This is a real problem for me. I take a small handful of vitamins each day, one of which is a multi, usually Solgar without iron, but I've tried other brands, too. Within 15-20 minutes the nausea starts. I know it's the multi causing the problem because I can kind of taste it. I've tried taking it on a full stomach, on an empty stomach, with milk, orange juice, coffee, soy chai, water...you name it. Nothing seems to help. Is it just me? Has anyone else had this problem and managed to find a brand that doesn't cause nausea? I'd really hate to stop taking it because whether its psychosomatic or not, I really feel better when I'm taking vitamins.
Quote Reply
Re: Multivitamins and nausea [here&anon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow...I've never heard of that. Are you positive it's the multi (do you take the rest of your handful and not get nauseated?)

My wife is the same way. She can't even take a Flintstone's children's vitamin without making her yak.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Multivitamins and nausea [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get something similar. About 15 minutes after I take a multi-v, I get a wave of nausea and a strange pain around my whole mid-section at about stomach level (sort of bottom of the rib cage). It's miserable for 15-20 minutes, then goes away. It's bad enough that I've stopped taking vitamins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ONly problem I have had..is when I take the E-Caps vitamin pack on an empty stomach and get a burning sensation that goes away after couple of minutes. so I take em after I have eaten and no problems. Not heard of nausea though.

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'm sure it's the multi - they have a particular taste and smell, and I know they're the culprit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have that problem when I took them without having eaten anything. I always made sure I had something to eat with the multi and it seemed to help with the stomach issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without knowing any more info.....you should test other brands.

As mentioned above, as silly as it might sound....Flintstones might be a good option.

Then again, have you had your vitamin/supplement/nutrition plan checked by a professional to determine what you need?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem. It seems tied to time of day as well as what was in (or not in) my stomach. I found I needed something solid as fluids did not help and the later in the day I took them the better. I now only take vitimins after I eat lunch and I don't have a problem. Any earlier in the day or on an empty stomach and I feel just as you describe. If I take one early in the morning after having a cup or two of coffee I hurl.

I drink a lot of coffee in the AM and I always attributed it to that. My "gut" reaction was that the combination of no solid food plus the acidic coffee was making the tablet disolve too fast and overloading my fragile system. No basis for this but that was the thought that ran through my spinning head the few times I had to contemplated how to discretely puke in my office.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The salt form of the vitamin or mineral matters a lot to the amount of gastric distress you get.

For me any kind of zinc I have a hard time with but the zinc chloride is the worst.

Most pronounced for me with magnesium. Magnesium chloride is very hard on my stomach. Magnesium citrate is better and magnesium gluconate the best for me.

So pay attention to what is actually in the vitamin you take. In my experience the zinc and the magnesium are likely culprits. If you want to try a different one, try one that has a different salt form of the minerals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'm not sure how having a particular taste or smell proves that the multi is the culprit. The easiest way to be certain is to take your other vitamins without the multi and see if you still feel sick.

Anyway, here's another thought - maybe you took the multi on an empty stomach a few times and it made you sick. Later when you took it on a full stomach (which seems to work for the other posters) the distinctive smell/taste made you nauseous through a physchosomatic effect. I'd guess the best idea would be to try other brands (especially ones with a smaller sized pill) and always take it on a full stomach. Out of curiosity, what other vitamins/supplements do you take in your "handful"?

BTW, vitamins taken on an empty stomach aren't going to be absorbed well - many of the water soluble ones need sodium present to be absorbed, so at least wash them down with some Gatorade (but better to take them with a meal.)

This absolutely happens to me on an empty stomach, but most often with the non-timed release versions. Try Alacer SuperGramIII for a timed release that seems to not have the same problems.

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MVs make me nauseous as well if taken on an empty stomach. Learned that the hard way a couple times before races (pop vitamins at home and then eat breakfast on ride to race - bad idea).

OT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had that affect (or is it effect) myself. I've got the advantage of being able to try most of the health food store brands, so I've tried a lot of different ones over the years.

Go to your local health food store and ask them for a sample of a product called Source of Life Multivitamin. The brand is Nature's Plus. It's a great vitamin, and it has never made me sick. Most stores that carry it have the free samples that come with it. Sometimes the store charges a dollar or two for the samples.

Also, try to take it in the middle of a meal. Not before, not after, and certainly not on an empty stomach. I've taken this with no problems on an empty stomach, but when you start out, don't take any chances.

I'll bet you will have no problems with this one.

Good luck!!

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, though I didn't say so, I have isolated it to the multi. I have tried several days when that is the only vitamin I've taken, so I'm sure that's the problem. The other vitamins I take are a couple of calciums, extra C & E, folic acid (at my advanced age I'm attempting to get pregnant :-0 - though this will put a damper on my ironman aspirations for '05 if successful) and sometimes chromium picolinate, though I doubt its effectiveness.

You're right, though, about associating nausea with a particular substance - I was taking the vitamins with soy chai for a while because at first it helped the nausea a bit. What I've found however, is that I now don't like soy chai as much as before because now I associate it with nausea.

The suggestions for other brands and tactics are much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same thing with a multi. I thought I was going to have to pull over and be sick on the way to work. I usually have a cast iron stomach so it took me a while to realize it was the vitamins. I switched to Women's one-a-day and have had no problems, though my wife said if I start growing breasts I'll have to stop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep, I get that. I've given up on MVs because I couldn't find a brand that didn't cause it. For me it seemed worse with OJ and coffee, best if I ate a large breakfast with plenty of fat and protein (bacon, eggs, etc). Can't do that every day, though.

I've switched to just taking C & E when feeling particularly run-down, B complex if there hasn't been much meat in the diet, and otherwise just trying to eat right.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In general, the B vitamins are hard on the stomach, especially an empty stomach. I too used to get the wave of nausea after taking the morning MV. Figured out what was causing it and took it a little later in the day when I had more food in my stomach, like with lunch. That worked OK but the B-vitamins were giving me too much energy at night if I took it too late in the day.

Now I use All One Original Formula, a powdered multi vitamin and mineral blend, that blends up great in my morning smoothie with no upset tummie. It blends well in juice too. The good news is that for the first time in years my iron count was high enough to donate blood last week and I know it was because I've been using the All One regularly.

Check out the website www.all-one.com. They have lots of good powdered supplements in different bases. A lot of health food stores carry their basic products.

Quote | Reply
I have had bad luck with Niacin at 100% + ( most people get enough already ) will make you feel flushed & queasy, D with lots of milk and sun exposer can trigger a reaction as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried taking them at night before bed? I know some people say it wakes them up, but when I was pregnant and in the throes of morning, noon and night sickness, right before bed was the only time, because I would drift off to sleep before the nausea.

Quote Reply