Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Multisport Canada Participants: John Salt tribute
Quote | Reply
As many of you from my neck-of-the woods are aware, John Salt, founder of the Multisport Canada Triathlon Series is retiring and handing over the reins at the end of this triathlon season. Many of us have enjoyed and benefited from participation in his outstanding Ontario races. We will miss his presence at the finish line, where he has welcomed finishers with a smile and handshake year after year.
As a tribute to John, post your memories or favourite races with MSC.
I have done approximately 29 races with MSC since 2003 so there is lots to choose from. Favourite swim was Bala for its beautiful Ontario cottage country lake. Favourite bike course is Barrelman which is fast, flat and beautiful, passing by the Welland Canal, Lake Erie north shore, farm country and the upper Niagara Rapids. Most memorable run was Wasaga Beach 2012 which took place with a cold, driving rain and gale coming off Georgian Bay. I don't know how the volunteers and race crew could stand it. I do remember getting in the car and putting on the heated seats (in September!).
I wish John and Anna all the best with lots of lazy summer weekends in the future. Thanks for it all.
Quote Reply
Re: Multisport Canada Participants: John Salt tribute [niagirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That truly is a shame. Barrelman is honestly one of the best organized races I’ve ever done.

My favorite memory: racing the Rose City triathlon, having come “back home” (went to high school in the area.) As soon as I finished, John came up to me, shook my hand, congratulated me on my race and then asked what I thought or if there was anything that I thought could improve. I am pretty sure he did that for every finisher that day, because I am just some random guy that finished somewhere in the pack. But the guy cares THAT much about the sport that he wanted to genuinely do anything he could to make it better.

Quote | Reply
I had no idea. Anyone that has done one of his races will agree that it's certainly well earned!

Favourite memory? I liked Bala which was my first MSC event, because it was so laid back. Great organization, great people. It was won my Lionel Sanders who raced all the MSC events that year (2014 I think it was?). I know John supported Lionel early on.

But my favourite was Barrelman that year, which was the first one. First time event and from my perspective it was flawless. That says a lot, when you can do something on that scale for the first time but not miss anything. Awesome location. Awesome event. Awesome crew. He's established an amazing event there, and set the bar just a bit higher for other RD's in Southern Ontario.

Congrats John!
Quote Reply
Re: Multisport Canada Participants: John Salt tribute [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 2009 my good friend and training partner Matt died just as he crossed the finish line at Wasaga. He won his age group.

For the following years' t-shirt design, John incorporated Matt's race number.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Multisport Canada Participants: John Salt tribute [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's my understanding that John is still staying at the lead of Barrleman. He is retiring from the MCS series.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all the discussion and ongoing talk about IRONMAN Mont Tremblant yesterday - the spectacular and amazing IM debut of Cody Beals and the tough but still combative day that Lionel Sanders had, it's work noting that both of these great athletes, honed their early triathlon training and fitness a number of years ago, with a lot of racing in the Multisport Canada (MSC) Race Series in Ontario! Both are alumni if you will of the MSC series and have been back periodically to either race or help out in the last couple of years.

Triathletes need races to go to. Few people swim/bike/run for the heck of it. MSC founder John Salt has been putting on great triathlon races for over 15 years. Cody and Lionel have benefitted from the work that John and his team have done to create that great series of races - one of the largest independant triathlon series in North America. John is very modest about stuff like this, but he should be proud of this sort of legacy.

Two other MSC Alumni - more recent - racing yesterday at IMMT in the Pro race were Daniel Clarke and Alex Vanderlinden!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Multisport Canada Participants: John Salt tribute [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great point!

The first time I heard Lionel's name was at awards for a triathlon in Bala in 2014 as he won it, finishing 1 minute ahead of Cody Beals. They were both a force to be reckoned with that day. Awesome job to MSC for supporting up and coming athletes like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Multisport Canada Participants: John Salt tribute [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:
In 2009 my good friend and training partner Matt died just as he crossed the finish line at Wasaga. He won his age group.

For the following years' t-shirt design, John incorporated Matt's race number.

OMG, I was standing next to John when that happened. That was terrible.
John is one of the most stand up people I have known. His races were just incredible and he was an absolute workhorse when it came to every detail. And he TRULY cares about every athlete on that course. Some people say they care, John shows it.
My favourite race of his was Collingwood with a close second being Wasaga. Something about that area I love.

I believe John said he will continue to be involved in Barrelman. I hope he continues to be around for years to come. Hats off to you John.
Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John is one of those guys who oozes passion. He may not always remember your name but he never forgets a face (that's saying a lot for an old man LOL). I recall in my first year of racing I was wondering who this guy shaking hands was at the amazing finishing line in Wasaga. Then I found out it was the race organizer and I was keen to give him some of my views as a new comer. The next time I crossed the line I was ready to give him an answer to his famous question "What could we have done better" but when he said to me "How was today in comparison to the race in Wasaga" the fact he remembered me had me at a loss for words. I just thought he did it for appearances but I believe it was genuinely a pleasure for him to shake everybody's hand at the end of each race.

He is the essence of "Grass Roots" triathlon. Taking an obscure sport in our region and growing it into one of the most competitive series in all of North America. His legacy will last and his efforts always appreciated.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Multisport Canada Participants: John Salt tribute [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recall in my first year of racing I was wondering who this guy shaking hands was at the amazing finishing line in Wasaga.

I've often sited this act/example and thing that John has done, not just a key differentiator for MSC, but generally for any Endurance Sports (Running, cycling & triathlon) race/event. Many races/events have been slow to realize this - they are not in the race/event business, they are in the EXPERIENCE business. However, they do it, they NEED to come up with unique and amazing experiences for their participants.

John was ahead of his time, planting himself just past the finish line of his races, and shaking the hand of nearly EVERY finisher making that a part of the great EXPERIENCE at an MSC race. Many RD's think of themselves as being beyond this sort of thing - or they have far more important things to do! They are wrong - at the MSC races, THIS as I noted is a key part of the experience for the participants!

Last edited by: Fleck: Aug 20, 18 17:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember when John set out to set up the MSC series. A lot of Ontario triathletes thought he couldn't make a go of it, going head to head against the established Subaru series, which had been going since the 80's. John and his team have earned a loyal following because of his leadership and attention to detail. When I think of a race director and crew doing all the little things to be great I have a fond memory. Driving the 30 min from London to the Lakeside race you travel through mennonite areas, where there are horse and buggies, and that brings the horse waste along with it. About 2 hours prior to the race start the crew was out on the bike course with shovels scooping up the horse dung. Now that's attention to detail!

Well done John, Jason and crew!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was told about this post earlier last week but wanted to wait until Wasaga Beach (last weekend) to pop in. Thank you to everyone on this thread who posted such nice comments and to everyone who has posted positive thoughts over the years. I have to admit that when I read these posts it does choke me up and also makes me realize that our team has done a great many good things over the years. While I have attended my last race in the series as the RD, I will be at Barrelman this year and next.

I also want to thank Daniel Clarke for the video he put together last week. Daniel is another one of the fine young pros who has been racing with us for the past couple of years. https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

In the recent video after IMMT Lionel mentioned that it was like the old days at MSC racing head to head against Cody. I am proud that we have been able to give quality venues to up and coming athletes like Cody Beals, Lionel Sanders, Jackson Laundry, Alex VanderLinden and Daniel Clarke to name a few. And, in some instances, being able to introduce them to sponsors.

I can tell you I will miss the finish line and being able to shake the hands of athletes. There I saw every emotion from shouts of joy, smiling faces, tears and that amazed look of a first time finisher who has realized a dream. Those faces will stay with me for the rest of my life. Thank you to everyone who has raced in a MultiSport Canada race!

John Salt, Founder - MultiSport Canada
Canada's Largest Triathlon Series and Barrelman Niagara Falls
http://www.multisportcanada.com / http://www.niagarafallstriathlon.com
"Discipline Is What You Do When No One Is Watching You"
Quote Reply
Re: Multisport Canada Participants: John Salt tribute [John Salt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love Ya John!

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Re: Multisport Canada Participants: John Salt tribute [John Salt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Salt shaking the hand of the last finisher, at his last offcial Multisport Canada Series Race.

Photo - http://www.zoomphoto.ca/

This is something that John has done, greeting every finisher, right to the last, at almost EVERY race that Multisport Canada has put on for the past 17 years.

Quote Reply
Re: Multisport Canada Participants: John Salt tribute [Johnny21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great story- that is Service Plus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Looks like Wasaga weather! Great photo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Accessable races with lots of capacity. Lots of them too. Thankyou John Salt.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Looks like Wasaga weather! Great photo!

It would NOT be Wasaga Beach Triathlon Race Day with out a bit of rain! ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Multisport Canada Participants: John Salt tribute [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Accessable races with lots of capacity. Lots of them too. Thankyou John Salt.

Agreed. My very first race was an MSC race, and I remember meeting John at it and thinking what a welcoming and relaxed environment they had created. Thank you for all your work John!
Quote Reply