Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Moving to the fast lane?
Quote | Reply
I'm currently in the 2nd slowest swim lane, there are 5. I'd like to move up to a faster lane, not sure if I could make the time cycles of the fastest lane though, they swim on a 1.20 time cycle, coming in on 1.10. At the moment my lane is on a 1.40 time cycle, I was coming in on 1.24, 1.25, but that is now low 1.20s.

2020 has been all over the place with swim training, as it probably has for a lot of people, no swim training all year till July, then once a week till November and then the last 4 weeks, 2 -3 times a week. I've just joined the squad. Volume is only 8 - 9km a week. I'm interested to hear what gains people have had as they have upped their training volume and I know there are lots of variables, but roughly what volume I would have to do to drop down to a 1.25/1.20 time cycle (coming in 1.10 - 1.15. I feel my technique is reasonable, although my kick is weak. TIA.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to the fast lane? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of volume to drop 20s interval time, and I think a better goal is to make the 1:30 interval lane in the near future.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super jealous you get to have masters practice. I’ve given up on having an actual practice until Fall 2021

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just lead the 1:30 lane. You can swim next to the 1:20 lane and try to keep up when the opportunity arises. I come in 1:10-15 and do most of my hundreds at 1:30. Occasionally I drop my interval but I prefer a little more quality over the short rest
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s a huge jump in time to drop 20 seconds off the interval and roughly 15 seconds off your pace. You’re looking at a year to 18 months of consistent training in the pool, weight room and then to get down to a pace of 1:10/100 a lot more focus on technique. The faster you go the more technical it gets.

Hope this helps,

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I'm currently in the 2nd slowest swim lane, there are 5. I'd like to move up to a faster lane, not sure if I could make the time cycles of the fastest lane though, they swim on a 1.20 time cycle, coming in on 1.10. At the moment my lane is on a 1.40 time cycle, I was coming in on 1.24, 1.25, but that is now low 1.20s.

2020 has been all over the place with swim training, as it probably has for a lot of people, no swim training all year till July, then once a week till November and then the last 4 weeks, 2 -3 times a week. I've just joined the squad. Volume is only 8 - 9km a week. I'm interested to hear what gains people have had as they have upped their training volume and I know there are lots of variables, but roughly what volume I would have to do to drop down to a 1.25/1.20 time cycle (coming in 1.10 - 1.15. I feel my technique is reasonable, although my kick is weak. TIA.

Where are you swimming and what sort of squad, 25 or 50m pool?
Sounds like a 1:30 lane would be better at the moment. 1:20 is pretty brutal, would not be many triathlon squads in WA with a lane that fast so presuming it is a masters squad.
If we are talking 50 LCM pools, do you really think you would be able to come in on a 1:10-1:15?? That is super fast, I only know a few people at that sort of level and I get to train with a Tokyo Olympic marathon swimming hopeful and some current state 10k champs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming this is SCY? The reality is that you may never do 1;10's on the 1;20, that is something that few triathletes ever get too. Just work on knocking down your repeat time second by second, and keep the 1;30 base as the goal. When you can do the set on the 1;30 at about 1;08 pace, that would indicate a move to 1;20 base. Like I said, not many folks get to that point, unless you were a pretty decent high school or college swimmer.

Small steps, small goals, ones you can achieve and feel good about.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to the fast lane? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Assuming this is SCY? The reality is that you may never do 1;10's on the 1;20, that is something that few triathletes ever get too. Just work on knocking down your repeat time second by second, and keep the 1;30 base as the goal. When you can do the set on the 1;30 at about 1;08 pace, that would indicate a move to 1;20 base. Like I said, not many folks get to that point, unless you were a pretty decent high school or college swimmer.

With where he is based it will be meters, not yards, and probably LCM, hence my comment similar to yours Monty that it is probably a bit unrealistic.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to the fast lane? [Jkgoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jkgoff wrote:
Super jealous you get to have masters practice. I’ve given up on having an actual practice until Fall 2021

I've dedicated 6 months in my life in swimming (November 2020 to April 2021), adding intensity and volume together in cold water.

But damn COVID pools are closed again since December and it has made the work I did in November a total waste. I started to see improvement in speed in November but it is now impossible for me to continue to build on it. I continue to swim open water but doing only OW will make me slow, which has been confirmed earlier this year.

It's impossible to do such amount and intensity of training (3-4 hours per day 5 days per week) when I have a full time job, and I'm planning to return to the job market after April after I emigrate.

My current level is about 20 x 100 on 1:48 returning on 2:08 which I'm not satisfied. I want to get down to 1:40 returning to 2:00.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to the fast lane? [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read your other thread about the English Channel crossing. You’ve got some.... heterodox ideas about swimming.

It takes me a solid 3x a week swimming and 3x lifting for six months to go from my tri-shape swim pace of 1:08 scy to my swim shape 1:04 scy. You dudes who talk about dropping :20 seconds per 100 are wild.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to the fast lane? [Jkgoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jkgoff wrote:
I read your other thread about the English Channel crossing. You’ve got some.... heterodox ideas about swimming.

It takes me a solid 3x a week swimming and 3x lifting for six months to go from my tri-shape swim pace of 1:08 scy to my swim shape 1:04 scy. You dudes who talk about dropping :20 seconds per 100 are wild.

What's the purpose of lifting? I hate it. Also, going from 1:50 to 1:40 is a total different breast then going from 1:20 to 1:15.

I also want to drop :20 per 100, but it was from 2:00 (where I started about 2 years ago) to 1:40 (all are in lcm) lol haha. I just want to reach 1:40 asap, see if the effort I put in is worthwhile or not, and to decide if I will continue or give up the sport.

I'm trying out different sports until I can find 2 sports I can perform at the elite level. I've already found 1 which I won the national championship before, now aiming for the world level and looking for the other. I'm putting 6 months into swimming now to see what level I can get to. If after 6 months I still can't get to a decent level I will stop swimming after 2021. If there is hope that I can get to e.g. state level for 10 km in my AG I will continue to put my effort in it.
Last edited by: miklcct: Dec 25, 20 7:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Increased grip strength has shown to correlate with faster speeds, you can find a plenty of studies with a simple google search.

A stronger posterior chain will give you greater propulsion from the coupling motions in freestyle. Once again, plenty of studies to be found with a google search.

I don’t do anything crazy. 5x5 squats, deadlifts, overhead press on one day, 5x5 squats, bench, and pull-ups on another. Three times a week.

Or you can do endless yards and bash your head against the wall

Strava
Last edited by: Jkgoff: Dec 25, 20 10:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go ahead and quit swimming and move to another sport on your search. It will save you time and hassle.

I say this based on all your posts on the subject of swimming.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious what sport were you national champ in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:
...I'm trying out different sports until I can find 2 sports I can perform at the elite level. I've already found 1 which I won the national championship before, now aiming for the world level and looking for the other....

Not really seeing elite-level results here:
https://eventor.orienteering.org/Athletes/Details/17399

For example, most recent listed: 28/12/2019 Hong Kong Annual Orienteering Championships (Sprint) 2019, finishing in bottom 1/3 of about 60 male competitors with a time more than 6 minutes behind the winning time of ~15 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to the fast lane? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I'm curious what sport were you national champ in?

Trail Orienteering
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:
If there is hope that I can get to e.g. state level for 10 km in my AG I will continue to put my effort in it.

It will sound brutal again but you won't get to state level for 10k in your AG for open water swimming.
The fact you cannot currently even get below 1:40/100m in the pool means unless you are in the over 85's category it will be a pipe dream.
Nice to have reach goals but this one is definitely out of reach sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to the fast lane? [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:

It will sound brutal again but you won't get to state level for 10k in your AG for open water swimming.
The fact you cannot currently even get below 1:40/100m in the pool means unless you are in the over 85's category it will be a pipe dream.

What will it take for me if I want to get there by the age of 35 (I'm 27 now)? I'm planning to get more coaching, get into a club and train there after I emigrate. I'm supposed to do all these this year but COVID wrecked my plan so I didn't make any progress this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:
Amnesia wrote:

What will it take for me if I want to get there by the age of 35 (I'm 27 now)? I'm planning to get more coaching, get into a club and train there after I emigrate. I'm supposed to do all these this year but COVID wrecked my plan so I didn't make any progress this year.

Like you, I am an adult onset swimmer. We don't have the years and years of massive foundations of swimming and muscle memory to build from. You won't get there in 1-2 years. Heck if you have some decent natural talent (which with your current times I would say is doubtful) then maybe 5-10 years of continuous work could get you to a decent level. The boat has sailed unfortunately....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you enjoy what you are doing with this?

Start there, cus it's an journey.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to the fast lane? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Do you enjoy what you are doing with this?

Start there, cus it's an journey.

I enjoyed doing all these in 2019.

My enjoyment has lost already because of COVID interruptions. I enjoy racing and the trainings. It will return if I can do club training and race again.

In fact there is nothing in the world I enjoy now, unless the world returns to 2019. I don't have any motivation to do anything now and there is nothing to prove to myself. I even don't want to do things I enjoyed the past like making websites.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to the fast lane? [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Where are you swimming and what sort of squad, 25 or 50m pool?
Sounds like a 1:30 lane would be better at the moment. 1:20 is pretty brutal, would not be many triathlon squads in WA with a lane that fast so presuming it is a masters squad.
If we are talking 50 LCM pools, do you really think you would be able to come in on a 1:10-1:15?? That is super fast, I only know a few people at that sort of level and I get to train with a Tokyo Olympic marathon swimming hopeful and some current state 10k champs.

We were in a 25m pool, now switched to a 50m pool so times are slower, much slower! I reckon I'm 5s quicker in a 25 pool. A bit depressing switching to a 50m! Although my fitness has improved so am now on the same time cycle as I was in the 25m - 1.25/1.40. I'm only just holding on. So in answer to your question, no I won't be swimming 1.10! I'd like to get to swimming sub 1.20 on a 1.30 time cycle. I've got some technique issues which when sorted out will give me a few more seconds.
Last edited by: zedzded: Jan 18, 21 17:26
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to the fast lane? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Yeah, 1.08 is out of reach I think!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We don't do many 100s, most would be 4 x 100, a lot of the main set is 200 - 600. But the 100s now I'm getting under 1.20, which would be 1.15ish in a 25m pool I guess.
Quote Reply