Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Moving to Georgetown, TX
Quote | Reply
The US Army has seen it fit to move me from my little slice of paradise in Hawaii to Ft. Hood, TX. It is my intention to live as far from Ft. Hood as possible and as close to Austin as possible (yet keep the commute to under an hour). I am looking hard at Geoegetown. Anyone here from the area? How is the running, riding, and swimming there? Any kink of trail system for running? Any cycling clubs or teams? Any indoor pool or masters group for swimming?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Georgetown, TX [amb18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been through there once or twice. It's a nice private college town...which can be both good and bad. I think its rather expensive, although that pretty well describes the general Austin area. You might look into Round Rock as well. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The company I work for, Infinite Pools is located there. Great "little" town. I almost moved there but ended up staying in Philly area. Austin was real nice and more suited for someone looking for something to do! Georgetown was more small townish.

Either way, stop by our place and take a swim!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great Triathlon Community

You'll bike with pro triathletes and maybe see Lance or some of his buddies.

You'll swim with Olympic and former Olympic swimmers if not coached by one.

You'll run with a heavily populated and together running commmunity including some fast Kenyans.

Then, you'll test the best Mexican food and Margaritas and hang out at the lakes, which are beautiful.

Have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry about your loss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Austin, so I'm not sure what things are like out there. You can look here:

http://www.austintriathletes.org/

The Austin Training menu (on the left) has some stuff listed for Round Rock.

Good luck with your move.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See you at the BTU tri on may 1st!!! (in Bryan)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the neighborhood. Though its not Hawaii, you will have a good time and find more than enough training and racing opportunities. My dad retired from the Army while he was at Ft. Hood, so I grew up in Copperas Cove and then went to UT Austin for undergrad. After moving out to CA and AZ, I moved myself back to Austin in 2000 and life couldn't be better.

At one time, the military would pay people that chose to live in Austin and commute to the base a COLA. I don't know if that is still happening or how you would qualify for that. Ask around on that one.

One of my ex girlfriends was an army officer at Ft Hood, and she lived right off of base and drove to Austin whenever she could. Its about an hour and 15 minutes depending on where you are going.

The cops like to pull people over on 195, so don't plan on speeding either way. Cove has a pretty good cycling community, but nothing like Austin. You will probably find yourself in A town often. IF you are in town on a Saturday morning, there's a group ride that takes off at 8:30 from AustinTricyclist. Its a great ride with free breakfast tacos after. Anyway, there are a ton of options, so if you have any questions just PM me.

56-11...the only way to fly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in Georgetown for about 4 years and loved it. It is a beautiful area, but the drive all the way to Ft. Hood will kill you. It takes about 45 minutes to reach the Eastern tip of Killeen from Georgetown, so you are probably looking at over an hour to get to and from work each day. Not to mention that the highway 195 is one of the most unsafe roads in Texas. The traffic can be terrible some days, and if there is an accident (which is very common) you can be stuck for hours, while they get a helo in there to evacuate the victims.

Although I would always recommend Georgetown as a place to live, you may want to look at living in Lampasas to keep you fairly close to Ft. Hood. That way you can get to Austin quickly and also still get to work with some sanity.

----->Trent
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Georgetown, TX [trent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll check into Lampasas too. I am not moving until late June / July- so there is time to check into options. We are looking into Georgetown because my wife is planning on doing a PhD at UT and also because we think we would rather live in a quaint town close to a great city and commute, rather that live on a treeless, flat expanse of dirt, and have less of a commute for me. As far as traffic- believe it or not, I don't think anything can be worse that Honolulu traffic (and I used to live off the LIE on Long Island). My commute is 30min now, so 45 doesn't seem that horrible. It would be nice if I were close enough to bike commute though.
Quote Reply