Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Moving Forward Feedback
Quote | Reply
Hey all – Just trying to get feedback on my general plan moving forward towards my first 70.3 next June 2020. More info below, but the TLNR version: training for my first 70.3 in June 2020, in and out of tri for last 8 years and looking to build up base next 3 months (4-5 runs per week, Z2, building ~10% per week; swimming 2-3 times per week, 2k-3k per session; biking 2-3 times per week, 1-2 hour longer session, 2 shorter 45-60 min session) then spend 4-6 week periodization blocks in 2020 working on each discipline, taper right, then destroy race goals of sub 6 (maybe 5:30). Just that simple.

Long read version; 38 years old, 6’6” 220, 16%BF. I’ve been doing tris on and off for 8 years, done about 15 sprints, 2 olys, various 5k/10k road races and one HM. Lurker and small time posting on ST for a couple years. Wife and I have 3 kids (8, 4 and 2), when #s 2 and 3 came training took a hit so I’ve only done 2 races last 2 years. Currently building my own plan with my A race being a 70.3 in June 2020, sprint and Oly in spring as warm ups. I like the idea of developing the plan myself, learning about the how and why, and life is crazy so I'm constantly pushing workouts around so a canned plan or coach would be tough to work around. I’ve read a couple books (Training Bible, Fast Track), gleamed info from here and have some past experience to pull from.

Started plan 3 weeks ago and tinkering with the workouts for this base period which I’m considering Oct 2019 to Dec 2019. Initial run schedule is derived from Barry P, slightly modified because hitting that 6th day of running a week is tough logistically sometimes, so figuring 5 days/week, 2-3 short, 1-2 medium, 1 long, all Z2. Swim is 2-3 times per week. Minimum 2k and building along the way. My 3 go to workouts so far are typical WUs and CD for all; (200, 150, 100, 50) x 3 with 100 kick and 100 pull between sets; (100x5)x3, pull and kick between; (300, 200, 50) x 3 pull and kick between. Rest between laps minimal, 30 seconds between sets, try to keep consistent leaving wall times. Add set/laps as needed once progressing. So far this is a lot more rigid than I’ve swam before and it feels awesome. Bike is 2-3 rides a week, between 6/10 and 9/10 intensity. 2 rides between 45 to 60 mins with 1 usually being a Zwift race and the other shorter being varying intensity, 1 ride 1:15hr+ and constantly getting longer with some 20’ intervals just below FTP. Total training right now is 5-8 hours a week.

There’s plenty of low hanging fruit, including losing some lbs, so after 3 weeks the numbers are all dropping nicely. I enjoy the structure of having a schedule to hold myself accountable and getting to create it myself is also very rewarding as well as having the ability to modify on the fly to an extent. I just want to make sure I’m not totally off-base or there are any blatant red flags. Starting in the new year I’m looking to get more structured and do 4-6 week periodization blocks for each discipline to see if I can really push myself. I’ve previously jumped into the hard stuff too early which has led to nagging little injuries throughout the years so I’m really hoping this 3 month build can set me up nicely.

I have a couple goals for the 70.3 right now, low end being sub 6 hrs (35 mins/~3hr/~2hr) which I think is quite attainable with my top goal being as close to 5:30 as I can get which even that I think I should be able to hit. I’ll reassess goals in the new year. Thanks.
Quote Reply