Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
naaa... im good. perfectly fine with my premier branded rear pulleys and chainring. and for a substantial difference in price, and equal performance im sure.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing through [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fixed the title for you
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting design. Doubt this eats into any market-share for CeramicSpeed. It's priced more towards SLF motion and probably eats into that potential market. But the design just screams chain jump.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s notable that they don’t list what the watt savings is. Leads one to believe that there isn’t much/any, especially since they bother to quantify less meaningful values like drivetrain noise.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The novelty in the design appears to be suspending the upper jockey in a rubber damper to make it very compliant. To ensure the jockey wheel isn't too active within the suspension they have then set the tension of the whole system extremely low so that the derailleur itself moves under strain rather than just the jockey wheel. I can see how the low tension combined with rubber damper would reduce noise and not impact shift quality when set up perfectly out of the box. My suspicion is that things would deteriorate rapidly from there.

In terms of overall efficiency it will all come down to how much is lost by the upper wheel moving around in the elastomer due to road vibration and chain line. I am sure you could design a lab test rig which minimizes the impact of the elastomer and therefore shows a significant improvement but if you repeated the test under slightly different conditions the results would be significantly different. When it comes to both chains and freehubs the general rule is that noisy does not mean inefficient. Sound isn't indicative of large energy losses as its friction (heat) that is really the enemy. You can make just about any chain or freehub quiet by absolutely packing it with thick grease but that doesn't make the system faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they're banking on sales being a result of the high price, pretty colours and mystical power of dimples. The arguments for drive train friction reduction and aerodynamic drag reduction/equivalence are just filler, to help prospective customers, attracted by the price and pretty colours, to justify the purchase to themselves and their critics.

If this product cost less than a Dura-Ace pulley set and looked pedestrian, it's probable no-one would buy it - even if the benefit/performance claims were identical. They're seeking credibility and desirablility via pricing and cosmetics IMO. Not a new concept, but still a frustratingly cynical one.
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, i wouldn't buy either one.

It's pretty and the price is insane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to admit this is pretty compelling:

The HollowCage is "the only cage that can dynamically adapt to the variable chainline, minimising friction at the lower pulley”

So it must be better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It certainly is the better looking OSP in the market and by a good margin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no structural engineer and I wasn't a geometry major in high school, but if I'm in the 52/11 and thus my chain is as "not straight" as it gets, the overall lateral articulation seems to be the same (i.e. the chain needs to directly underneath the 11T cog at the bottom of the upper pulley and then from there it eventually needs to move laterally to meet the chainring).

With a 100% stiff RD cage, all that articulation occurs between the bottom of the lower pulley and the chainring.

With a flexible cage, presumably some of that articulation occurs between the two pulley wheels, with the rest same as above (between the bottom of the lower pulley and the chainring).

But in each case the total lateral movement of the chain is the same, it's just that with the stiff cage, there is a "straight" phase followed by a "crooked" phase, while with a flexible cage, you would have two "crooked" phases:

If we apply some numbers solely for the sake of example (i.e. I doubt these are "to scale") let's make two assumptions:

(1) Chain needs to move 12mm laterally in the 52/11
(2) Looking at the path of the chain from the bottom of the upper pulley to the chainring (the path where the chain needs to move laterally), the chain spends 1/6 of this journey "in the pulleys" (i.e. between the bottom of the upper pulley and the bottom of the lower pulley) (Phase 1) and 5/6 of its time from the bottom of the lower pulley to the chainring (Phase 2)

With a stiff cage, the chain will not move laterally during Phase 1 and will see all of its 12mm lateral movement occur during Phase 2. So 0mm deflection for Phase 1 and all 12mm deflection for Phase 2.

Assuming a perfectly flexible cage, you will have 2mm deflection for Phase 1 and the remaining 10mm deflection for Phase 2.

So really it's a question of whether it's better to "smooth out" the lateral deflection with a flexible cage, but at the same time increasing the duration during which the chain has to bend, or whether it's better to keep the chain straight a bit longer (i.e. perfectly straight during Phase 1) at the expense of more lateral deflection during Phase 2.

My gut is that the flexible cage scenario is marginally better, but I question whether it's measurable given the offsetting loss of having the chain deflect for a longer period of time.

I bought one anyways.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks like a cycling equivalent to a window on a PC and rainbow LED lights inside. Or a fart can exhaust and sheet metal wing riveted to the trunk.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Jul 20, 21 15:47
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
I bought one anyways.

Please post a picture when you can...I'd like to see it
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
My gut is that the flexible cage scenario is marginally better, but I question whether it's measurable given the offsetting loss of having the chain deflect for a longer period of time.

I bought one anyways.

The most epic, instant classic quote of slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Rode it for the first time this morning. Here is my almost entirely worthless review, and I say "almost" only because I have only one small piece of advise to offer.

Worthless Review:
No idea of installation procedure. My mechanic installed it. But he didn't cuss at me or side eye me when I picked up my bike, so couldn't have been that bad. No idea whether it's aero or reduces drivetrain friction. I am of the belief that I cannot "feel" any such differences, and to be honest, I also believe no human can "feel" a difference either. Shifting is fine, I didn't perceive any difference. Mind you, I swapped from a CeramicSpeed OSPW, not the stock cage. Sound? I swap bikes fairly often, so not uncommon that I will ride 3 different bikes in a week of 5-6 rides, and I had not ridden the bike with the Hollowcage in a couple weeks before this morning, so I can't say I have a solid "baseline" to compare against. With that, the Hollowcage didn't seem to intoduce any additional noise into my drivetrain, and indeed may have been quieter. Maybe we'll see a YouTube video soon with someone measuring sound with a DB meter - I would trust that more anyways.

Unsolicited Advice:
I ordered the Hollowcage for my SystemSix, which is all black. So I chose the black lockring option. If I had to do it over again, I would choose the rainbow option or if on another bike, a color that complements that bike's paint. The black is rather "meh" IMHO. See for yourself, with the caveat that beauty is in the eye of the beholder f course:

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Aug 26, 21 14:23
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing, I think it looks great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome and look forward to hearing more.

I've had a number of AbsoluteBlack products since 2015 and have been impressed. Zero issues.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't speak to the Absolute Black one, but i've used bother Ceramic Speed and a $40 knock off from Aliexpress and they perform the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [TravelLean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have some sort of bench test setup? No one (absolutely zero) can feel the marginal gains of these things.
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [TravelLean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be interesting to know how much savings for OSPW comes from the larger pulleys and how much from the ceramic bearings. I'm guessing the lion's share is the larger diameter pulleys, which is why an Ali Express version (with lower quality bearings than CS) still performs well.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Rode it for the first time this morning. Here is my almost entirely worthless review, and I say "almost" only because I have only one small piece of advise to offer.

Worthless Review:
No idea of installation procedure. My mechanic installed it. But he didn't cuss at me or side eye me when I picked up my bike, so couldn't have been that bad. No idea whether it's aero or reduces drivetrain friction. I am of the belief that I cannot "feel" any such differences, and to be honest, I also believe no human can "feel" a difference either. Shifting is fine, I didn't perceive any difference. Mind you, I swapped from a CeramicSpeed OSPW, not the stock cage. Sound? I swap bikes fairly often, so not uncommon that I will ride 3 different bikes in a week of 5-6 rides, and I had not ridden the bike with the Hollowcage in a couple weeks before this morning, so I can't say I have a solid "baseline" to compare against. With that, the Hollowcage didn't seem to intoduce any additional noise into my drivetrain, and indeed may have been quieter. Maybe we'll see a YouTube video soon with someone measuring sound with a DB meter - I would trust that more anyways.

Unsolicited Advice:
I ordered the Hollowcage for my SystemSix, which is all black. So I chose the black lockring option. If I had to do it over again, I would choose the rainbow option or if on another bike, a color that complements that bike's paint. The black is rather "meh" IMHO. See for yourself, with the caveat that beauty is in the eye of the beholder f course:
Does it remind anyone else of one of those people that have been stretching out their earlobe for an eternity and now has that massive hole with a grommet installed or is it just me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the long extension on the derailleur that bolts it to the mech hanger? Is that something to allow larger cassette range with a short cage mech? 1x?
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Does it remind anyone else of one of those people that have been stretching out their earlobe for an eternity and now has that massive hole with a grommet installed or is it just me?

Yup. All that's missing is the man bun and a hand-roll.

Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

YES!!! It's been bugging me since I saw this product first, but I couldn't figure out what this reminds me of. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at the savings from the ceramic speed standard replacement pulleys, compared to the full OPSW, it seems to be about 57/43 in favor of the pulley size (1 watt saved going to 15/17 from 11/11, and 0.75watt saved going ceramic on the same 11/11 setup). Having said that, a design like this with such a large bearing diameter on the lower pulley actually increases overall system friction compared to something like the Ceramicspeed OPSW. This is partly why the Alibaba ones seem pretty decent, even if the bearings aren't the best, they are operating over a very small diameter, so as long as they are clean and not tightly sealed or overly packed with grease, there just isn't all that much harm they can do. Making the bearing inner race very large effectively gives the friction a much longer lever arm over which to act, so say it takes 0.01N of force to push the balls through the grease, that resolves as a torque which is force at distance.. so you would much rather have that force acting at 2.5mm from the centerline than at 15mm from the centerline

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply

Prev Next