Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mounting with roadshoes out of T1?
Quote | Reply
Small detail, but I am riding road shoes for IM distance racing (after many years en tri-specific shoes). Roadshoes with no heel loop.

What is best practice for road shoes wearers out of T1?
1. Either put shoes on before running to the bike?
2. Or leave shoes already mounted on bike (with rubber bands) and then fiddle (press nose of shoe) to get feet into the shoes already a bit down the road?? The latter seems to be causing me (and others) more than needed probs.

EDIT: Just found this good GTN video, which actually has good content, but also shows a wide variety of styles even from the pros :)

TIA for any advice on how peeps here are getting around this small (but relevant) thing
Last edited by: Mulen: Oct 13, 23 23:40
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting with roadshoes out of T1? [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was never a fan of doing flying mounts for an IM, you're out there for hours and hours and hours, 30 seconds in T1 won't change your day.
What I used to do was run barefoot (actually with socks) to my bike, put shoes on at bike (rack) then run to exit with shoes on.
Get on bike - clip in - and go.
I can imagine trying to do a flying mount with my road shoes wouldn't end well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoes on right away, Speedplay cleats, run just fine.

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep the shoes on the bike so you can run through transition barefoot or in socks. This is one of the biggest advantages of leaving shoes on the bike. Then when you get on the bike just put your feet on top of the shoes without putting them on. Pedal up to speed and get into aero bars, stop pedaling and put one shoe on, pedal a bit to get back up to speed, put other shoe on. Then tighten as you like. The point of doing it like this is to get up to speed quickly and carry that speed as much as possible without slowing down. It might take you 3 minutes total, but you're spending that time at >90% of full speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting with roadshoes out of T1? [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickag wrote:
I was never a fan of doing flying mounts for an IM, you're out there for hours and hours and hours, 30 seconds in T1 won't change your day.
What I used to do was run barefoot (actually with socks) to my bike, put shoes on at bike (rack) then run to exit with shoes on.
Get on bike - clip in - and go.
I can imagine trying to do a flying mount with my road shoes wouldn't end well.

This is me. What’s 30 secs, even in a shorter Oly? Have you missed a spot or PR because you put your shoes on first? Same with socks. 15 seconds to put on socks has never made a difference to me.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does Ironman let you clip your shoes in? For 70.4, yes. But full?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting with roadshoes out of T1? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Does Ironman let you clip your shoes in? For 70.4, yes. But full?

The last couple of IM’s I’ve done, yes.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting with roadshoes out of T1? [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks y´all for advice here.

Below is what I´d do with tri-specific shoes and that is easy and fast. But with no heel loop on the road shoes, it´s is a bit more tricky to get the shoe into position to actually be able to fit a foot in.

mathematics wrote:
Keep the shoes on the bike so you can run through transition barefoot or in socks. This is one of the biggest advantages of leaving shoes on the bike. Then when you get on the bike just put your feet on top of the shoes without putting them on. Pedal up to speed and get into aero bars, stop pedaling and put one shoe on, pedal a bit to get back up to speed, put other shoe on. Then tighten as you like. The point of doing it like this is to get up to speed quickly and carry that speed as much as possible without slowing down. It might take you 3 minutes total, but you're spending that time at >90% of full speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Thanks y´all for advice here.

Below is what I´d do with tri-specific shoes and that is easy and fast. But with no heel loop on the road shoes, it´s is a bit more tricky to get the shoe into position to actually be able to fit a foot in.

mathematics wrote:

That's something that can be learned through practice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to do flying mounts, ideally you have tri specific shoes. They have things like heel loops, easy closures, etc that make flying mounts easier. If you're using road shoes and doing flying mounts, I'd try to just slip my foot right into them when you jump on your bike. Pedaling on top of your shoes and then getting into them down the road is okay but if you can slip right into them... why not? I store my tri shoes with softballs in them to help them form a good opening... something I used to do with my baseball/softball gloves.

I didn't watch your video link but I imagine it of carnage at the bike mount/dismount line. Whatever you do, practice it before you try it at a race. For me I spent a good 30 minutes one day just mounting/dismounting in my neighboorhood at imaginary mount/dismount lines. Almost every time I ride my tri bike, rubber bands on shoes and flying mount and dismount when I get back to the house. Practice whatever it is you're doing!

If you're not doing flying mounts, just put your shoes at your rack, run to the mount line and clip in like any other ride.

For me flying mounts just make a ton of sense for not only speed but not running around with bike shoes/cleats. I do flying mounts in all of my races... sprint to IMs.
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting with roadshoes out of T1? [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
Shoes on right away, Speedplay cleats, run just fine.

This^^^^^ is the answer.
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting with roadshoes out of T1? [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just imagine how much faster you'd be if you didn't wear socks!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting with roadshoes out of T1? [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have added some duct tape to the underside of my road shoes, there's less slipping on the run and I find that they don't slip when you do a running mount, one foot on, unclipped, then one foot over (not a flying mount), I don't use rear bottle cages. For shorter races it works fine and no time loss. For Half and Full...who cares
Quote Reply