Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mountain Cross Bike??? Wrench help please.
Quote | Reply
For long training rides, I would like to mix in some dirt roads. I don't want to be on a fat tire bike for the road sections though and while I'd love a cross bike, it's not in the cards quite yet. So in order to compromise, my second mtb might be able to mutate into something that will work well.

I'm trying to decide if I can switch a hardtail mtb (2001 K2 Zed Team) into a pseudo cyclocross bike. Basically, want 26 inch cyclocross tires (skinny mtb tires), drop bars, STI shifting (maybe). Going to leave the front suspension and maybe add a Cane Creek Thudbuster.

Can I get a set of STI shifters/brakes that will work with my current gearing and u-brakes. Don't see why not... but I thought I'd check with those who might actually know. I'd even be willing to go to a differnt shifting if I can't get STI but the mtb shifters won't work with drop bars so I have to change something...

Also, what skinny 26" tires have people used and liked?

Thanks,

Lehmkuhler
Last edited by: Lehmkuhler: Mar 16, 05 14:34
Quote Reply
Re: Mountain Cross Bike??? Wrench help please. [Lehmkuhler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lehmkuhler,

You should have no problem doing what you have described. I have a similar set-up myself. You might need to raise and shorten your stem when you add drop-bars to keep everything lined up and in proportion. STI shifters should work as long as they are compatible (8-9 speed)… might need to add something like this (http://www.performancebike.com/...subcategory_ID=5221#) if you have v-brakes.

As far as tires go, I’d suggest minimal knobs… maybe a semi slick. Unless you are truly going off-road, knobs will do nothing but add rolling resistance and slow you down.

JB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this with and old steel Specialized Stumpjumper-- Drop Bars, Bar End shifters and Cantilever brakes. I left fat mtn tires on it because I switched the fork back to the rigid fork that it orginally came with and I wanted some traction/ pinch flat prevention.

It worked good-- I could ride it anywhere-road, mtn bike trails, cross etc. It did good things for my bike handling. Did a several cross races on it in Western NC and then upgraded to a real cross bike.

Unfortunately, I moved to Texas between cross seasons and never have raced the cross bike... but that is another story.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lehmk. i have ridden drop bar mtn bikes since . . . . well since people actually rode drop bar mtn bikes. couple things.

the bit about a shorter, taller stem somebody mentioned above is excellent advice. true off-road mtn bikes will have REALLY short tall stems, such as the legendary "LD" stems of ibis and wtb fame. in this setup your hands on the hoods or drops are in the same spot as on a traditional flat bar/stem. for your purpose something less radical would probably be better - more of a cyclocrossish setup.

as for the bar . . . . you probably want something a little wider, and possibly with some flare to it. the salsa bell lap is very easy to find. the bontrager flat top series is super comfy up top on the hoods. on-one is producing a copy of the near mythical wtb bar, with it's massively flattened and flared drop. ultra-chic, that, tho not everybody likes riding it as much as they like looking at it. rivendell has the utterly fabulous original dirt drop which came standard on the bridegestone mb-1, the finest off road drop ever made.

i assume you do not actually have "U-brakes", but rather, vee-brakes. K2 did not make bikes in the u-brake era. you will need a set of 'travel-agent' adapters to make your sti levers work with vee-brakes. these work OK, but do add a shitty top heavy feel to the braking and for this reason many off-road drop bar devotees eschew sti for bar-con shifters and the specialty vee-brake specific dia-compe brake levers. this setup is pretty sweet.

cyclocrossworld.com has a great assortment of skinny tires. the 1.5 conti cross country is long wearing, and fast. hutchinson was supposed to have a killer 1.3 tire, but i am not sure if they ever got it out.

finally, cane creek has a newer, short travel thudbuster out nowadays, ya know. it would be kick-ass in this application.
Last edited by: t-t-n: Mar 16, 05 15:19
Quote Reply
Re: Mountain Cross Bike??? Wrench help please. [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
V brakes are probably right. Got my terms mixed up. You lost me with the "travel agent adapter" part. What the hell is that? Is it like a "booster" or some such thing that Salsa makes (horseshoe shaped)?

"many off-road drop bar devotees eschew sti for bar-con shifters and the specialty vee-brake specific dia-compe brake levers. this setup is pretty sweet."

This is the part that confused me. Bar-con, is that a company or am I just missing the lingo? Maybe I should go check out cyclocrossworld.com before I bug you with too many more questions.

Thanks so much for the info. The mutant bike may end up getting more miles than my other bikes if it comes out like I want. The terrain around here would be awesome on a bike like what I'm seeing in my head.

Thanks again,

Lehmkuhler
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a "travel agent" is an adapter which mounts on the vee-brake where the cable goes into the brake. it has a roller mechanism which alters the amount of cable pulled. any bike shop will have them, or know what to order. nashbar has them. they are called different things. a " linear brake/road lever adapter" is what they are.

" bar-con" is an older term for a bar-end shifter. this is the same exact shifter that is used in triathlon out on the ends of the aero-bars, but in this case it is used where it was originally itended - in the end of a road bike's drop bar.
Quote Reply
Re: Mountain Cross Bike??? Wrench help please. [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply