Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mountain Bike tire pressure?
Quote | Reply
I have been riding my mountain bike quite a bit lately and I was wondering what an ideal tire pressure was for such biking? I live in southern New Mexico where the trails are desert consisting of packed dirt, loose gravel, sand, sharp rocks...etc. According to a riding buddy (who is also a triathlete) tends to think you inflate until you reach the tire's max psi rating but I think a little less would be better. When my tires are inflated to the max I bounce around way too much and I think the traction suffers. FYI I am on a full suspension Specialized. Thanks for any help on this one.
Quote Reply
Re: Mountain Bike tire pressure? [konabro2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much air pressure will depend in part upon your weight and the terrain. I ride in So. Cal., weigh 180lbs, and ride a hard-tail. I typically run 35-45psi (0-5psi more pressure in the front than in the rear). On Moab type slick rock I would air down a bit more to increase traction. If the trails I ride have shale or sharp rocks, more air pressure to avoid pinch flats/side wall cuts. Full-suspension bikes can get away with running slightly higher tire pressures without losing comfort/traction. Also, tubeless tires can run lower pressures because they don't have to worry about pinch flats. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always rode a hard tail so I don't really know about full suspension but typically I use less pressure than the tire is rated for. I have never had a pinch flat but I am pretty light and I try to keep both wheels on the ground. Typically 5 pounds less than the tire rating sometimes less if I am in sand. Try out different pressures, all tires perform differently some can handle real low pressures. Bring some extra tubes and expirement
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
45 psi for full suspension.......................... If you have tubeless you can run even lower without risk of pinch flats. This is the pressure i use when I race and I live in a semi arid desert like area which sounds similar to your area. Any more and you will be bouncing all over the place.............you might get away with a bit less, but I wouldn't go lower than 40 psi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
visit www.notubes.com, spend $25 - get the kit, run your tires at about 30 psi and you will be in heaven and rarely ever get a flat

enjoy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with a previous post. I rode 40-45 psi on a full for the short period of time that I rode one. The rear tire sticks no matter what the psi on a full for the most part.

40 on a hardtail with normal tires, 30 psi with tubless tires.

I'm 5'9" and 145.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are so many factors to setting optimal tire pressure, that there is no fixed response. The variables include the suspension, terrain, tires, type of tube, rims, riding style, skill level, rider weight, season, weather, race versus ride, etc. And to make it more difficult, I've found sizeable variances among tire pressure gauges.

Your best bet is to talk with the locals to determine a general range of pressures then experiment. I personally start with a pressure in the forties and lower it if I feel it adversely affect my traction or handling. Heavier riders might want to start with a higher PSI. I never ride near the tire's max PSI unless I'm strictly on the road.
Quote Reply