Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Motion Sickness from Open Water Swimming?
Quote | Reply
I don't have any naseua when swimming in a pool, but when I swim in the ocean, the swells/waves have me constantly "bobbing" up and down. I have a good wetsuit that keeps me prone on the top of the water, there's just a lot of chop on some days.

I wear my earplugs all the time - they help preventing water in the ears, but don't seem to be a factor for the nasuea.

QUESTION: Does anyone take dramamine before swimming in the ocean? Are there any issues with taking it prior to exercising?

As an aside, I get dizzy just looking at a merry-go-round, so this is not too surprising to me that I am feeling this effect. This has been a life long case of being predisposed to dizziness, but I am in perfect health (as far as I know).

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Motion Sickness from Open Water Swimming? [dhyte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I would not recommend taking dramamine before swimming in the ocean. Powerful drugs that can make you drowsy and open-water swimming don't mix.

Have you talked to your doctor?

And if you do decide to take any drugs to help with motion sickness, you might want to do a trial run first in a swimming pool with other people around. You don't want to be experiencing some side effects of, say, disorientation and sleepiness for the first time when you're out in the ocean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had this several times. Each time it was in rough water at Doug Stern's Triathlon Training camp in Curacao. I threw up and a bunch of little fish came and ate my barf. Yuck.

Once I threw up I was OK. The few moments before hand were miserable though.

I'm not certain what causes this. When I was younger I never, ever got motion sickness. Now (since turning over 35 - I'm 42 now) I've had it on at least four occasions. Odd.

In New Zealand ear plugs seemed to help a great deal. On the way to Antarctica I used one of those "patches" and that worked also.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

We have three sensory systems that regulate balance. If any one, or more, are disturbed the result can be dizziness, imbalance and nausea. The systems are: the inner ear, proprioception (muscles and joint sensors), and vision. With what you describe, based on the "mery go round", you have what is called visual motion sensitivity. I am making an assumption that you don't get dizzy and nauseous with other physical movements.

Feel free to call me at 303-989-2020 and we can talk about ways to help.

Tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dramamine is an antihistamine and it is very sedating. Try ginger tea. It does appear to work for many cases of motion sickness. I don't believe that it is sedating.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply