Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Most scenic IM or 70.3 course [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
1. Vitoria-Gasteiz. I'm not sure how scenic it is, but it sure looks nice in pictures. The Basque country is amazing and the opportunity to travel to France and Spain would be great.

2. Nice. Everything is beautiful in that part of the world.

3. Cork. It looks beautiful and there would be no challenges with language.

Basque country is stunning, food and drinks pretty stunning too.

Cork is fantastic, for the whole experience it would be great; hotel, bars, post race etc. the scenery can be drab though and it is exceptionally windy, constantly
Quote Reply
Re: Most scenic IM or 70.3 course [Fletch_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fletch_boy wrote:
IM Cairns or the new 70.3 Tasmania

I've been to Tasmania and it was so beautiful. I'd love to race there.
Quote Reply
Re: Most scenic IM or 70.3 course [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did that ever include going to a race in an area that you'd never been to on the assumption that it would be scenic and/or culturally interesting?
---
My main criteria for race selection, in this order:
1. Time of year (if it fits in my life/ work schedule)
2. Location (am I willing to travel there)
3. Amenities in the area (is there something else for me to do when not racing or for the Wife to do before/ during/ after)
4. Cost (although I've never disqualified a race due to cost, I still consider it in the grand scheme. As in... Did I spend too much on racing this year?)
5. Social group (this is a very distant 5th but I could be persuaded to do a race if one of my peeps were doing it)

I don't think I've ever paid attention to the scenery when deciding on a race. I'm not even sure how I'd include it in my race criteria. Like, am I supposed to look at the Finisher's Pix or Instagram posts from the RD (or whatever) to include a race based on those pics?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Most scenic IM or 70.3 course [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
did that ever include going to a race in an area that you'd never been to on the assumption that it would be scenic and/or culturally interesting?
---
3. Amenities in the area (is there something else for me to do when not racing or for the Wife to do before/ during/ after)
4. Cost (although I've never disqualified a race due to cost, I still consider it in the grand scheme. As in... Did I spend too much on racing this year?)
5. Social group (this is a very distant 5th but I could be persuaded to do a race if one of my peeps were doing it)

I don't think I've ever paid attention to the scenery when deciding on a race. I'm not even sure how I'd include it in my race criteria. Like, am I supposed to look at the Finisher's Pix or Instagram posts from the RD (or whatever) to include a race based on those pics?

so, no offense to a race host location, but you suspect IM louisville and IM switzerland to be more or less equal, as far as you know, in cultural experience and course beauty, prior to your visiting either?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but you suspect IM louisville and IM switzerland to be more or less equal, as far as you know, in cultural experience and course beauty, prior to your visiting either?
---
When choosing between those two races, my most important criteria would be the time of year and am I willing to travel there for a race.

In terms of ToY, IMSwiss is a July race whereas IMLou was an October race (RIP). July fits better in my life schedule than October due to weather, training, and employment. Point to IMSwiss.

In terms of location, I am more willing to travel to IMLou than IMSwiss since I can drive there in a day and can bring the Wife and dogs to Kentucky fairly easy. Not so much to Switzerland. Point to IMLou

In terms of Amenities, the Wife's opinion matters a bunch here and she'd likely pick Kentucky due to the dogs and proximity to extended family. Point to IMLou

In terms of cost, IMLou would be significantly cheaper all around. I took IMLP off my schedule due to this criteria due to the habit of price gauging for lodging by the local community. Point to IMLou

If I had a large contingent of friends doing IMSwiss or IMLou, I would wish them well and track them from home. I really don't choose IM's based on social reasons. Shorter races, sprint to 70.3... Hell yeah! No points awarded.

In the end, if IMLou and IMSwiss were to be near each other in a calendar year, I'd pick IMLou over IMSwiss, 3 to 1. I would do so without looking at a single picture of the venue or surrounding area. Local culture/ cuisine/ (insert whatever rebuttal here) would not be considered.

Note: I'd absolutely love to visit Switzerland and several other European locations. Nice, France comes to mind. That does not even play into my desire when deciding on a race. I think the race will hinder my overall enjoyment of a particular location and I'd want to visit during a non-race time. I'd rather race local, make the vacation about the vacation and racing about racing. I'm happy for the people who can make it work. But, those two don't mix well in my world.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I say St. Croix, can you bring it back? Andora would be my vote. As for Louisville vs Switzerland, I expected far more from Antwerp. It was far from scenic!

http://www.researchms.org/trifest/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I said in another thread that Challenge Budva is pretty spectacular.
I've been to Budva, just never done the race.

The Lofoten Extreme Triathlon in the far north of Norway looks incredible, but too cold for my liking.

Oh... a race that's been around forever. Strongman Japan! Miyakajima island.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Mar 17, 22 14:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If money was no object I would LOVE to do IM Austria. The pictures look amazing. I think it would be an awesome race-cation. Closer to home I think two of the most scenic races are Ironman St. George and Ironman Coeur d'Alene. Both breathtaking locations that I go back to all the time.

BTW, a non-IM location that was featured in 2020 due to the pandemic is Bear Lake, Idaho. That place is incredibly beautiful and quaint but I hope it stays "undiscovered" for a while longer.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like when run courses are right in city centers, with tons of locals coming out to spectate; even better if said city center has some historical charm to it, or nice monuments. I'd really like to do Cartagena 70.3 because of that.
Then for the overall courses, 70.3 Pucon and Ironman Wales are on my wish list for the near future.
Quote Reply
Re: Most scenic IM or 70.3 course [1fastbeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1fastbeaver wrote:
If I say St. Croix, can you bring it back? Andora would be my vote. As for Louisville vs Switzerland, I expected far more from Antwerp. It was far from scenic!

Except Antwerp is in Belgium NOT Switzerland.
Quote Reply
Re: Most scenic IM or 70.3 course [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, but it sounded sexy in a different way. Ohh the Opal plant, highlight of the bike course!

http://www.researchms.org/trifest/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you were constraining this to Mdot branded races, but if not .. Patagonman. If my hip hadn't ended my racing that would have been my next ambition. Already did the one in Norway.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Challenge Wanaka
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

so, no offense to a race host location, but you suspect IM louisville and IM switzerland to be more or less equal, as far as you know, in cultural experience and course beauty, prior to your visiting either?

IM Louisville definitely a better choice if you're a Bourbon Drinker. No Bourbon Trail in Switzerland.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Most scenic IM or 70.3 course [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No Bourbon trail in Switzerland, but plenty of cheese and wine trails, and if you're lucky absinthe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

i guess this depends where one lives ,
another thing i would point out. if you do an branded ironman race abroad would that from an cultural experience not be almost akin to eat in a mc donalds when going a abroad...
ie if one was to race in france embrunman would be culturally more interesting than an ironman nice.
or or in spain zarautz would be culturally way more interesting than 70.3 mallorca.
Quote Reply
Re: Most scenic IM or 70.3 course [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

My criteria when racing

1. is it within 2 days drive if where I live in NY or FL
2. The hotter the windier and the flatter it is the better for me

That’s about it

Amenities, activities to do in the area, scenery etc has never entered into the decision

As to traveling to other parts of the world. We do that but would rather travel and not do a race at the same time
Last edited by: MrTri123: Mar 18, 22 3:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
half ironman Lac d'Annecy
Quote Reply
Re: Most scenic IM or 70.3 course [TriZen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriZen wrote:
Challenge Wanaka

Didn't race it but I've been there as tourist. I've travelled quite a lot and I can't think of a better place than Wanaka
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM Gurye, South Korea. Has it's logistical challenges, but it's very scenic.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you said 'not races you have done,' but IM Norway was pretty amazing and scenic. Unfortunately, it's not around anymore. Sheep on the bike course, winding country roads, riding along the ocean, all made it an awesome race for me. Throw in some epic weather and it felt like the Norse Gods were saying hello.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Most scenic IM or 70.3 course [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plenty of other races in the same area; ThorXtri, AxTri, Coastman, Lofoten. Also, a new Ironman 70.3, which had so much potential but doesn’t venture into the more classically Norwegian hill/mountain areas surrounding. Many other races across the country too, the majority of which would be considered scenic by most standards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not an M Dot race, but Wanaka, New Zealand.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Most scenic IM or 70.3 course [swimswam1003] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimswam1003 wrote:
the PR swim which is absolutely one of the best 70.3 swim courses IMO.

Better than Augusta 70.3? I think by the numbers Augusta is faster especially when the current is strong some years.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lanzarote must be cool right?

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply

Prev Next