Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Most reliable HR Strap
Quote | Reply
Have had a ton of issues with the last 3 Tickr straps. Wahoo seems to be good at replacing them but I’m on my 3rd replacement and I’m
Still having issues. I’m using s small amount of ultrasound gel which doesn’t seem to help much. HR for the first mile or 2 is either below 80 or above 160 and fluctuated like crazy. Watch is Garmin EPIX 2. Any suggestions? Are the new Wahoo’s more relatable? TIA

DM

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Re: Most reliable HR Strap [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used the Garmin HRM dual for half a year or so before it died. It also had trouble picking up heart rate when I wasn’t sweating. Switched to Garmin HRM pro plus and it’s been great for the last 10 months or so. Able to pick up heart rate right away. I haven’t need to switch the battery yet which is what I think killed the HRM dual, but supposedly the issue of water getting into the electronics after a battery change was fixed with the pro plus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin tranceiver clicked on a polar strap. If the data gets weird: exchange the polar strap.
If data gets weird, the reason is seldomly something else as the strap. Garmin straps are no good, Polar are. But as I wrote, they do not hold long. Mostly they need to be exchanged after a year.
My 2c after 17 years of experience with HR straps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using the Garmin HRM dual for a few years now. It works great for about 2 years and then needs to be replaced. Also tried the Tickr because it had good reviews but the HR was not accurate and it had connectivity issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it need to be a chest strap? I really like the wahoo wrist version which you can use as the upper arm too if you want. It's not water proof (that I'm aware of), but I feel like it's more accurate than Garmin wrist.

I also wear mine under the wrist so it reads where my pulse would be taken, rather than on top of my wrist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If all you need is HR from an ANT+ device - I hate to break it to you - but the old skool solid straps with the elastic strap across the back will work robustly and forever, even after infrequently needed battery changes. I use one (Garmin) for indoor cycling, but use a Garmin HRM-Run (discontinued now, but a pod that clicks on a strap and provides running dynamics data) for running. That one is a PITA as, unless it starts dripping wet from the faucet, early HR is wacky. But, I'm fortunate in that my FR955 OHR works well. And now that the FR955 is getting more advanced running metrics from the watch (no HR strap required), maybe I'm getting close(r) to banishing all the straps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Polar H10. Just need to give it good batteries, they tend to not last as long as the other HRMs. But it's very accurate and there are no drops, spikes or anything like that. I never experienced the wild fluctuations you describe. I used to have Garmin HRMs that did that

What's your CdA?
Last edited by: G. Belson: Jun 21, 23 12:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just chiming in that I've had the exact same Tickr problems. They are good at replacing them - but if the replacements have the same problems, doesn't do a ton. Disappointing as I like other Wahoo products but they just haven't gotten the HR strap tech right yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about wahoo straps, but I've killed both Garmin and Polar straps at approximately the same rate, which is ~1yr. Battery changes never help. My theory is that people with very salty sweat (I'm like >2stdev from normal here) destroy the straps faster than people with lower salt concentrations.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin HRM-Pro strap user here. I've had it for a year + and it's been rock-solid like the 3+ year HRM I had before it. That one was only replaced because it is not waterproof, and I'm a HR data nerd - even with Swimming. Anyway, I changed the HRM-Pro battery in March, which is just an annual thing for me and CR2032 batteries. When I did so, I could see why people say they leak & stop working. The gasket fits tight. Tighter than the regular HRM for sure. Tight, like it would be easy for it to "slip" from its intended location and let water in - maybe if someone didn't notice it was out of alignment during reassembly. Maybe this problem happens on the assembly line too, and that could be some of the "months of use" failures? FWIW anyway.

I think the Polar OH1, OH1+ & newer version yet: Verity, are waterproof and (I think) are useable on your arm. If it helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weirdly the most reliable I’ve had is the cheaper coospo one on Amazon.

I suspect part of the reason it lasts is that it beeps when on and off- which gets annoying enough that I remove the pod after use, but it’s lasted a long time since. Have been surprised how often it’s ‘on’ when I’m not wearing it due to sweat in the strap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to start looking at chest straps as expendable items that will wear out after a period and then need replacing. Sorta like tires, chains, cables, running shoes, etc. None of them are built to last forever anymore. Use it. Replace it when it dies.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Most reliable HR Strap [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
Polar H10. Just need to give it good batteries, they tend to not last as long as the other HRMs. But it's very accurate and there are no drops, spikes or anything like that. I never experienced the wild fluctuations you describe. I used to have Garmin HRMs that did that

This is the best.

Regarding the battery life, one thing that has helped me is to take the othe side of the pod away from the belt. You coult take both also (i.e. remove the pod from the belt) away but I would lose the pod or the belt in a matter of days
Quote Reply
Re: Most reliable HR Strap [laki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC Rainmaker responded same in a thread when I asked him.
Quote Reply
Re: Most reliable HR Strap [laki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually do completely disconnect the pod after each use. Definitely save on battery life but not sure how that would affect accuracy. Maybe I need to wash the strap more? As long as the rubber connections points are clean, I'm not understanding how sweat on the elastic strap would make a difference though..

Team Every Man Jack

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy these up when you see them on eBay, they last FOREVER.

Model - Garmin MAIN-61562

Last edited by: mike s: Jun 24, 23 17:53
Quote Reply
Re: Most reliable HR Strap [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. I'm sure I have a couple of those buried somewhere. Maybe I'll take a look..

Team Every Man Jack

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Sam Long wearing a polar h10 while doing a vo2max test AT wahoo doesn’t tell you everything you need to know idk what will.
Last edited by: swimbikejon: Jun 21, 23 19:44
Quote Reply
Re: Most reliable HR Strap [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:

Like they say on The Mandalorian, this is the way.

Quote Reply
Re: Most reliable HR Strap [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have owned a half dozen of the Garmins and they all have lasted about a year or so. I recently purchased the new design that is supposed to keep moisture out of the battery compartment better. It has been reliable and downloads the swim data from my 945 without issues. So far, so good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need to overthink this. Just get yourself a Polar H10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Polar H10 here.

I've used Garmin (went through 4, replacing every year), Wahoo (Lasted about 18 months, replaced just when they released the updated version and the one I got was a complete dud) and Coospo (cheap and nasty from Amazon, lasted about 3 months)

Been using the Polar for about 2 years now and it is absolutely rock solid, no issues whatsoever.
Quote Reply
Re: Most reliable HR Strap [BigCMacD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And what would be the reason to get an H10 rather than an H9?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Most reliable HR Strap [Passmore007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Passmore007 wrote:
I have been using the Garmin HRM dual for a few years now. It works great for about 2 years and then needs to be replaced. Also tried the Tickr because it had good reviews but the HR was not accurate and it had connectivity issues.

My experience has been exactly the same! My current HRM Dual is around 2 years and the strap is starting to fall apart but it still reliable. I've tried the more expensive ones but they haven't lasted as long

https://acprestation.se/
Quote Reply
Re: Most reliable HR Strap [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
And what would be the reason to get an H10 rather than an H9?

The strap on the H10 is a bit fancier. The H10 also does offer some recording capacity but I have never needed it so I'm not 100% sure on the details.
Quote Reply

Prev Next