Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Most expensive crash?
Quote | Reply
Last year I cracked my Bianchi SL aluminum frame, bent my year wheel beyond repair, busted my Pneumo helmet, tore through my leg warmers, arm warmers, socks (almost my SIDI's), jersey, bibs, gloves, and Hincape polartex jacket.

800+100+150+50+40+8+70+160+30+215 = 1623 No hospital bill, but spent $30 on gauze and antibiotic ointment.

I'm sure ya'll can do better than this. I'm curious... what the most you've lost on a single incidence?

(In the same crash, the rider next to me tore off the non-replaceable dropout of his Bianchi MegaTi frame - which retails for 2200)
Quote Reply
Re: Most expensive crash? [xen355] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totaled Trek 5500 w/ full DA, Speedplay X-1s, Ritchey WCS wheelset,etc.

Brand new Sidi Revolutions shoes that had to be cut off of me.

Jersey shorts and socks all cut off of me.

$44,000 medical bills.

Several months of my life pretty much shot.

All courtesy of a teenage driver talking on a cell phone.

But ended up with a lot to be thankful for!

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Re: Most expensive crash? [xen355] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I T-Boned anther rider that crashed right in front of me during a Cat 4 race. Endo'd over the bars and slid across the pavement a few feet onto grass which was strewn with sand burs.

Ritchey front wheel - $100, Bar Tape - $10, and nice dent in top tube. (no biggie)

Fractured Scaphoid - About $100 in copays. Gore Waterproof Cast Liner - About 75$

Removing several dozen sand burs from my legs, arms and torso - absolute agony, can't put a price on it

I was in a cast for 8 weeks during July and August which royally sucked. The Gore waterproof cast liner was my saving grace because it allowed me to continue working out and swim, go to the beach, etc. The guy that caused the crash was on my team and never even apologized or accepted responsibility for the crash. (Needless to say he is no longer a friend of mine)

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Quote Reply
Re: Most expensive crash? [Mark C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt seriously that your teammate crashed in front of you intentionally. What made him crash? Crashing comes with racing. It sucks, but it's a fact.

If I were him, I'm sure I'd have said, "I'm sorry you got caught up in the crash and got hurt." I wouldn't say, "I'm sorry I took you out" unless I was doing something really stupid like trying to pee while riding in a cat. 4 race.

Nonetheless, I feel your pain. Six years ago I was in a paceline behind a guy who crashed as we went over some RR tracks. When he went down, I had to change my line. Hit the tracks wrong and cracked my kneecap in two on one of the rails. The guy who went down in front of me got up, looked at me writhing and screaming in pain on the ground, got on his bike and continued on. I didn't know him and never saw him again. Good thing, too. I don't consider the crash his fault, but I couldn't believe he just rode off.

Bob C.
Quote Reply