Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Most durable bib short you ever had
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for some new cycling bib shorts but want to make sure that whatever I buy is reliable for sometime. So what have you buy that have surpass your expectations in the durability category?

Thank you in advance!

Emmanuel,

http://www.easyendurance.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Most durable bib short you ever had [Tri@PUR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Voler Black Label bibs were recommended by an excessively avid cyclist friend as their best gear. I got a pair and after many rides in the last 6 months they still seem brand new, so my personal experience has been impressive but not long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 400-mile bibs from desoto have been pretty bombproof.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Most durable bib short you ever had [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:

This... yea I’m impartial but I normally buy new ones before they actually wear out. I think I had to finally get rid of a couple this year after like 10 years because they were turning seethrough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the DeSoto 400-mile bibs. Had them for years with no problems at all. My Hell’s 500 shorts from Cuore is very high quality too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assos.
I have one pair that is prob 10 years old, washed countless times, still fine to use.
Quote Reply
Re: Most durable bib short you ever had [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grantbot21 wrote:
Callin' wrote:

This... yea I’m impartial but I normally buy new ones before they actually wear out. I think I had to finally get rid of a couple this year after like 10 years because they were turning seethrough.

Same here for desoto. Other brands I had die after 1 year
Quote Reply
Re: Most durable bib short you ever had [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep my 400 mile bib shorts have become my 4,000+ mile bib shorts. The logo is fading away, but apart from that they look and feel exactly like they did when I first bought them.
Quote Reply
Re: Most durable bib short you ever had [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Decathlon own brand bib shorts of a similar age. I wouldn’t be going out riding a century in them but they’re good for a shorter ride or an indoor trainer session. Significantly more expensive brands have not lasted the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I strongly prefer comfortable over durable ...
Quote Reply
Re: Most durable bib short you ever had [jth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jth wrote:
I strongly prefer comfortable over durable ...

Desotos 400s are also comfortable..
Quote Reply
Re: Most durable bib short you ever had [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DeSoto 400mi are excellent and hold up very well.

That being said, the bibs I have from theblackbibs.com are not only cheap and comfortable, but also impressively durable. I’ve been riding several pairs weekly for over 3 years with almost no discernible wear. For $40 a pair ($60 if you want grippy leg bands) they can’t be beat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Cuore bibs won't seem to die. I think they are gold level that they offer.

The Rapha lightweight stuff hasn't worked well for me. I've had pilling where the shorts meet my saddle on multiple pairs after only a few rides. For the price, i expected more durability.

I haven't owned the black bibs recommended above, but I've had other stuff from Starlight (maker of the black bibs). The comfort level seemed good for the cost but the stitching didn't seem as good as other brands. Maybe they've improved.

I bought some nice bontrager bibs and on my 2nd ride with them my wife said it's time to retire those bibs because i can see your butt. I won't buy those again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine all seem to wear differently.

- chamois gets compressed
- lycra stretches to see-through
- stitching comes loose
- leg grippers start to deteriorate

Best thing is to find a brand that fits well and feels comfortable, and replace as needed.
After about 4-5 years use a pair of bibs become trainer only usage unless I do something over 2 hours indoors which is rare.

I recently bought a pair of ProBikeKit Crux 2.0 and they are exceptional for the low price. I think I paid $87 CAD ($68 USD).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I am a big fan of Assos. To be sure, they aren't cheap, but they are very comfortable and last forever. Have also been riding in Ryzon shorts for a couple of years and am impressed. If I had to choose however, it would be Assos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recently decided to train in tri suits only. I own one bike, which is Argon e118 Tri+. Being I'm using an ISM split nose saddle I want a chamois that works for the bike. Minimal padding to reduce bunching and chafing, along with good leg grippers to keep things from moving around. I did a century on the trainer last weekend with no issues and have been training in tri suits exclusively in 2021.

I looked at Assos but many reviews said the moving pad caused bunching and chafing. $260 for inferior design...no thanks.

I looked at Rapha and noticed massive diaper butt. I don't ride on my ass on a tri bike.

This would be totally different on a road bike.
Last edited by: Raw Vegan: Feb 10, 21 16:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wattie Inc. Bibs are GREAT. Wear them whenever I ride over 50 miles at one time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri@PUR wrote:
I'm in the market for some new cycling bib shorts but want to make sure that whatever I buy is reliable for sometime. So what have you buy that have surpass your expectations in the durability category?

Thank you in advance!

Emmanuel,

Sticking strictly to the question of durability, De Soto , but they certainly wouldn’t be my first choice of bibs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Pearl Izumi Pursuit Attack shorts are freakishly durable. I have toppled over multiple times and had a crash in them last summer. I was bleeding under the shorts, but they still look brand new. So far no chafing or pilling in the saddle region after a few years, either. They are otherwise basic, but the best value I've gotten out of a piece of equipment hands down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gotta ask, why the love for bibs? I don't think I would want something tight on my shoulders
For clothing. I also like being able to tie my shorts. Shorts cost less, are easier to drop in a hurry (no need to unzip shirt to get to shoulder straps) and seem easier to me for adjustments (bit and pieces).

Just curious what all the love is for bibs.
Quote Reply
Re: Most durable bib short you ever had [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The big pluses for bibs are:

-no breathing constriction around the waist (this is the main advantage)

-no "tramp stamp" gap between the back of the shorts and a jersey that can lead to a bad sunburn

-they are more "pro"

Bibs can be pulled down low enough to pee (for guys), but more than that and you'll need to remove your jersey.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have DeSoto and Assos that have served me well but for straight up longevity I haven 12 year old Craft bibs that are still serviceable for indoor riding. Some holes in the straps but serviceable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have several pair of Performance Ultra shorts that have lasted well over 5 years with no signs of wear or elastic breakdown. They go through the wash at least once a week. I know it's not a boutique brand, but I think they're comfortable. I have a pair of Verge shorts that I like that have also lasted a long time. I bought 2 more from them this year and don't like the fit or the pad at all. But that's all up to the wearer. If I could only find a saddle that fits, that would be my preference.

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: Most durable bib short you ever had [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me Assos have proven to be most durable and most comfortable. They are not cheap, but i spent more on cheaper shorts that i had to replace more often.

The way i know they are worn out is that my wife laughs at me when i'm about to go for a ride and tells me she can see through my shorts.... Then i toss them out, go online for a new pair only to find that the same model and type has been not been available for years and get the newer model which turns out also to be fine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you, or any other reader here, is interested in buying De Soto 400-Mile Bibshort, or our Riviera Tri Bib (yes, a bibbed tri short), or even our more affordable Mobius Bib Short (also has our 400-Mile Pad), reply back to me and I will send you a code to get them at 30% off (limited time offer valid through this sunday).

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next