Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Most competitive bike races in West Coast?
Quote | Reply
What are some competitive races here?
So far I see:
Valley of the Sun (vos)
Sea otter classic
CBR
Tour de Tuscon
Quote Reply
Re: Most competitive bike races in West Coast? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what you consider the West Coast, but I'd add tour of the gila in if VOS is in that list. Tour de blom and baker City classic are competitive but probably a step below VOS and gila, although they're great races IMO, still plenty competitive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

redlands?

maybe BC Superweek depending on what you mean by west.
Last edited by: buzz: Feb 22, 24 10:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the Tour de Tucson is a cookie ride
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
What are some competitive races here?
So far I see:
Valley of the Sun (vos)
Sea otter classic
CBR
Tour de Tuscon

Sea Otter ... mehhh (seems more competitive on the MTB side)

Honestly that was the big disappointment for me when moving from the East Coast to the West Coast... very few big road races left (many struggling to get participants and/or permits). Tons of crits though.

Depending on what you're looking for, the responses will be a little different. As a spectator, if you want to see a decently strong pro field I'd definitely have Redlands and the San Rafael criterium (if it happens again) on the list.

As an amateur/participant, you have a few historical races in NorCal that have lower visibility and lower number of participants but still attract the local Californian elites with strong P/1/2 and master fields: Snelling, Cat's hill (crit), Chico (if they can revive the stage race... turned into a crit this year), Berkeley Hills, Golden State weekend (TT, Circuit and Crit... all in a business park so not very scenic but great atmosphere and always very well attended), Davis 4th of July (crit) and Giro di San Francisco (crit).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BWR and Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder, not sure if they count

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Most competitive bike races in West Coast? [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzz wrote:

redlands?

If you're a pro/elite. If you're Cat 2-5 / masters, it's just another Sunday crit.
Quote Reply
Re: Most competitive bike races in West Coast? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
the Tour de Tucson is a cookie ride

not what I saw on GCN and other riders I know who went to do it (not "just finshers")
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't it a fondo? While some people ride it fast, I don't think it's really a road race
Quote Reply
Re: Most competitive bike races in West Coast? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Isn't it a fondo? While some people ride it fast, I don't think it's really a road race

OP might be referring to the Tucson Bike Classic which is a 3 day stage race. I think the Tour De Tucson is just a fondo

Peak NA Cocktails for Recovery
WAE Clothing
Youtube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Most competitive bike races in West Coast? [csb146] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
csb146 wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

OP might be referring to the Tucson Bike Classic which is a 3 day stage race. I think the Tour De Tucson is just a fondo

The TBC is a 3 day stage race, coming up this weekend. El Tour de Tucson is officially a charity ride/gran fondo, BUT it is ridden at the front like a full blown North American pro road race, with top riders from the US, Mexico, Canada, etc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
West coast of Australia? South America? Mexico? Japan?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
csb146 wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

Tour de Tucson did have a couple of world tour pro's show up last year and several conti level pros. The front group is legit and you can ride it as hard or as easy as you want. If you want to be in the lead pack you're going to smash yourself. If you want a zone 2/aerobic type of day, that's easy to get.

Oh and there is an actual cookie ride in Tucson where you have cookie stops. No word on how competitive that is though.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
join a team that races and see where they go. Other then that check out the race calendar here https://socalcycling.com/road-racing-2/

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Most competitive bike races in West Coast? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the norcal calendar is here: https://ncnca.org/?post_type=tribe_events

I'd advise that you check past results on road-results to have a sense of how many people have shown up in your field as some races have very little participants: https://www.road-results.com/...n=5&racetype=all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VoS doesn’t belong on that list. BWR, Grasshoppers, Redlands (for pros), and new this year, Levi’s Growler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
csb146 wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/n_ccN2HthfA
Last edited by: synthetic: Feb 24, 24 10:28
Quote Reply