Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Most boring Tour ever?
Quote | Reply
First time I've ever become totally disinterested in the Tour. I think it was a huge mistake to have that long time trial as the prologue. On a normal year, maybe it would have been good. However, with Lance in the race - he just managed to gain so much time right from the start that except for one day when Rasmussen appeared to be a threat, the tour has been pretty much boring. Stage 14 was pretty cool, and I was thrilled to see Georgie boy grab a stage, but damn, it seems pretty lackluster to me.

edit....looks like today's stage might have been interesting (17) but I won't spoil it here.

Anyone else?

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Last edited by: Schwingding: Jul 20, 05 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: Most boring Tour ever? [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trying to stay excited but might just give up and watch my 2003 dvd instead
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Si, es muy aburrido. Yo no interesante en le tour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Giro was much better this year, to bad we only got to see a few stages (in the US on OLN). 2003 was the best Tour for me, I was not following cycling in 1989.

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
totally agree.

Jago
"Slow... but mellow"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm glad i'm not the only one...

-------------------------------------
New rule for ST users to make this a better place:
When someone asks for ADVICE, don't be a douche. Give advice or STFU.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. This race was over after 15 minutes on day one.

Lance could win this thing easily for another 5 years. Nobody is close, or threatens to get close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YEah, really boring, attacks on almost every day, great sprint finishes, breakaways making it and almost making it. This one is way more boring then any in the past.

I take it you have never watched the Tour before.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well they said they same when Indurain was on his winning streak. I enjoy every single tour I have followed on tv, even more so since I took up riding and road racing more seriously.

Quote | Reply
I, too, have become disinterested in the TdF. It is hard for me to get excited about the race. Nothing exciting to speak of except George's stage win. It's just sit back and cruise. Several posters have mentioned the '03 Tour -- that was a race. Every day, there was excitement and drama. This one ended after the first day. Lance hasn't even won a stage, has he? He'll probably go for the TT win Saturday, but for all practical purposes, the race is over. Lance has won #7.

I guess it will be kind of interesting to see if Ullrich can make up enough time in the TT to move up on GC, but that's the only thing left in the race that offers any sort of excitement.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were not for the consistent attacking of Vino i would be asleep a long time ago..........

t~
Quote Reply
Re: Most boring Tour ever? [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ditto

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Most boring Tour ever? [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I take it you have never watched the Tour before.

4 years counting this one....

Don't get me wrong, the sprint finishes are good, and it's good to see a break actually survive. But man, when no one besides Basso (who will also get his legs ripped off in the TT, P3C or not) is within even 3 minutes, it doesn't offer much of a climax... (no, I didn't forget 'Chicken', who will also get his legs ripped off in the TT).

-------------------------------------
New rule for ST users to make this a better place:
When someone asks for ADVICE, don't be a douche. Give advice or STFU.
Quote Reply
Re: Most boring Tour ever? [aus_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you all possibly taking forgranted how much attacking and responding from Lance there has been? No real breakaways because he's caught them. I don't know how you can say it's boring. You're watching history in the making. Apparently somewhere along the lines, you've become uber elite and watching a guy perform a feat that has never been done, and may never be done again. I don't think it was over after day 1, how could you possibly say that. That just rings ignorance in my ear.
Quote Reply
Re: Most boring Tour ever? [trvfsub2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think one of the other reasons why this year’s tour is so boring is because of all the successful breaks in the mountain stages. Lance had a bigger lead last year but each stage was far more exciting because he was fighting it out with other GC contenders for stage wins.

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Most boring Tour ever? [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey LC,

You peruse over here too? :-)

You got me started on this site, some good stuff here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's a lot more exciting that last year's tour, where USPS just rode the wheels off of everyone else. I can't honestly remember anyone attacking Lance in earnest in 2004, but they've at least tried, and have isolated him a few times this year.

Of course, 2003 was by far the best tour in recent years.

Hell, any cycling coverage is better than no cycling coverage!

Chris
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Most boring Tour ever? [deckdrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't think the Tour is boring...not this year anyway...

the problem I have is that we know the end of the story...but it sure isn't boring...lot of action this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Most boring Tour ever? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, especially if you pretend lance isn't in the race. Lots of attacking, new faces at the front, good finishes.

we all knew la was going to win the tour before it started, the real questions surrounded basso, ulrich, vino, boonen, mcewen, hushovd.
Quote Reply
Re: Most boring Tour ever? [deckdrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was watching the british open and the tour on sunday. in most major golf tournaments, the back nine on sunday can be an exciting two hours of golf. to me, the stages in the Pyrenees are comparable to the back nine of a major golf tournament.. this is where it can get really close, and leads can be taken and lost.

tiger was never in trouble on the back nine at St. Andrews, and Lance was never in trouble in the Pyrenees.

that being said.. the tour has been great (thank goodness for tivo due to the commercials), great sprint finishes, great breakaways, some getting caught, some not, but really,... the battle for the GC never quilte lived up to my hopes..

lance is just too *$&%ing good.

Jago
"Slow... but mellow"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my suggestion. have mtns early (week 1) and mtns late (week 30). Middle week for sprinting, TTT and long TTT. Having a few mtn top finishes in week 3 next year will leave the result wide open, especially with Lance out of the field. It will be like the Giro this year. Sestriere on second last day!

If the last Mtn stage ends close to Geneva on the third last day, then can do a TGV or airplane transfer to Paris for the final two stages without much damage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It think the attacks by the TMobile boys have been exciting>> you mess with the bull you get the horns. I like that this is closer race, last year was a blow out. I would like to see Lance win a stage. I hate when breakaways are caught a 100 meters from the finish, Mengin had a heroic breakaway but unfortunately crashed near the end, that was most memorable moment, felt bad for him.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Most boring Tour ever? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in week 30??? how many Tours is that? ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next