Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Most Cost Effective Setup to Start Riding Zwift
Quote | Reply
Hey all. Hoping you can help. I have finally convinced my wife to join me in my triathlon training. I have a dedicated bike trainer utilizing a wahoo kickr but need to get a second one for her...preferably one that I can just place her back wheel on so we can take it off easily to ride outdoors. As I'm not familiar with all the different types/brands of trainers, I am hoping for your help. Hoping I can find a nice used one somewhere. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Most Cost Effective Setup to Start Riding Zwift [Streetsnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen a lot of kickr snaps being sold online recently as low as $2-300. I'm not sure about the reliability of those especially after multiple years of use but thats probably the best trainer in that price range if you can get one cheap. Otherwise you could grab a tacx flow or something like that. Make sure to check dcrainmaker for reviews of whatever you're looking at though. Personally I don't think I'd ever buy a wheel on smart trainer as you can get a decent fluid trainer for $75 on craigslist usually and the performance gap between wheel on smart and direct drive seems pretty massive.

You always could just do the whole speed + cadence sensor on any dumb trainer if you want the actual cheapest setup for zwifting. Works perfectly fine from what I've heard!

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Most Cost Effective Setup to Start Riding Zwift [Streetsnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at the local classified... usually plenty of people selling barely used trainers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-used Kurt Kinetic trainer
-Garmin speed sensor for rear wheel
-ipad or appletv
done
Quote Reply
Re: Most Cost Effective Setup to Start Riding Zwift [quadlt250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quadlt250 wrote:
-used Kurt Kinetic trainer
-Garmin speed sensor for rear wheel
-ipad or appletv
done

You win the internet today. Buy the sensor and trainer used and your cost really goes down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can pick up a low end Tacx Vortex smart trainer for just a bit over $200, that's the cheapest setup I've seen, comparable to used. Stack up coupons and cash back sites like Ebates and it saves a bit more.

https://slickdeals.net/...s&searchin=first
Quote Reply
Re: Most Cost Effective Setup to Start Riding Zwift [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. I'll look into picking up one of the mentioned smart trainers. I just didn't know what was good or not. Only familiar with my kickr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another good option is the Cycleops Magnus, definitely not as cheap as the other options mentioned but a good entry price to smart training.
Excel Sports has it for $398
https://www.excelsports.com/...LEAkYBSABEgJ2SfD_BwE

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The intro-level BKool smart trainer is $299 these days. If you live in a reasonably sized metro area, try facebook classifieds for cheap used trainers.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Find the cheapest dumb trainer. Old Elite fluid or CYcleOps fluid are great.
2) Get a 4iiii or STages powermeter. If already have a powermeter, then non need to.
3) Subscribe to Zwift, and play.

Louis :)
Quote Reply