Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

More of Stern's view of swimming
Quote | Reply
I have been reluctant to get into the mess of philosophy on swimming technique. Before December I never looked at "Slow Twitch" and certainly did not write any threads. I kept to my little world of swimming clinics in New York and taught what I thought worked. In the twenty-one years and 3,500 participants I have learned and evolved into the teacher I am today. I videotape every person in my clinic. We use slow motion and stop action to analyze what actions create what reaction.

People who come to my clinics come from a variety of backgrounds. Some are former competitive swimmers who need an update on technique. Others have taken a quick fix weekend where they spend eight hours floating on their sides. Most are new triathletes who look at the water as something they must get through in order to bike and run.

On the first evening I ask them why they are here and what do they want. Most consider themselves as slow swimmers whose strokes "suck." They are desperate for knowledge and guidance in how to deal with this strange medium. Many have read books which left them totally confused.

We do an assessment. How far can you swim in ten minutes? How is your ankle and shoulder flexibility? How fast can you swim one length and how many strokes does it take to do it? I then videotape all of them and warm them that they will not like what they see. It will be as if I pasted their heads on some thrashing non-swimmers body.

The next session we learn how to kick before anything else. We do use a kickboard and fins initially. Once they have a sense of how to they learn hand position and balance. I ask them to extend their arms and play with different hand positions to feel which create the most lift. They breathe by extending their chins. If their hand position works they will be able to get some air if not they will drown and die.

We then start on the stroke by doing a drill called "scooters." You place one hand on the middle of the kickboard while you swim with the free arm. You face is out of the water looking straight ahead during this drill. Lift your shoulder, then elbow and finally hand clear of the water. Keep your fingers very close to the surface of the water as you bring your arm forward to the near end (end closest to you) of the kickboard. Glide your arm forward to the end of the board, flex your wrist, start your hip moving and pull your arm back next to the board. Keep in mind that you are always looking straight ahead. At the end of the length, change arms. Repeat, repeat, repeat. This drill teaches you how to recover your arm, forces you to kick, lets you know where your hand should enter the water (in line with your shoulder and across from your elbow) and when to initiate hip rotation.

After the group has mastered the scooter drill we progress to one arm swimming. We are moving to swimming by using a series of progressive drills. Swimming itself is not a drill but a culmination of intricate movements which when put together become a fluid coordinated masterpiece. We swim a length of the pool with one arm fully extended. It stays on the surface and does not move. Use this arm as a measuring device. As with the scooter drill your swimming arm recovers shoulder, elbow and then hand. You hand enters the water opposite your elbow and in front of your shoulder. As soon as this arm extends to the outstretched arm flex your wrist, lead with your hip and take your stroke. If your hip lead the stroke it will help your shoulder to remain high in the water and keep your elbow higher than your hand. Finish the stroke at your hip and release your hand. Your hand exits the water wrist then fingers. There is no flicking of your fingers backward to finish the stroke. I instruct my charges to finish the stroke with the heel of the hand with their fingers pointing to the bottom of the pool. We do the one arm drill with each arm and breathe on the side of the moving arm. As soon as the stroke is started they are instructed to take a breath. Breathing is done very early in the stroke. "Look to the side of the pool as you take your breathe," I instruct them.

We then progress to a catch up drill where the class uses both arms. They have learned to breathe on each side, established a very early hand entry and extension. It is now time for regular swimming. I explain to them that every stroke has a slight catch up in it. This happens for several reasons. The arm moving through the water moves slower than the recovering arm in the air. Before you can start each new stroke your hips are going to be sqaure in the water for a split second. The hand entering the water opposite your elbow lets you know that your hips are in place to initiate the stroke.

My class is now aware of some of the complexities of swimming and how it works sequentially. They can intellectualize that as soon as on hand enters the water it triggers the other side of the body to get moving by flexing the wrist and open the hip. They know to breathe very early in the stroke. Both sides of the body function in exactly the same manner.

What I have written is two sessions in a six week clinic. Drills are very useful in teaching technique as long as you put them in context and always finish with swimming. I encourage my students to challenge and question my beliefs on swimming. I love to learn and share my point of view. I encourage all of you to do the same. Use your senses (sight and touch) to master your stroke.

There is no quick fix to learn to swim. It takes years to groove in patterns of behavior.

DougStern
Last edited by: DougStern: Mar 24, 05 12:06
Quote Reply
Re: More of Stern's view of swimming [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post Doug!!! I am surprised nobody has commented on it yet. I appreciate the info.
M~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Most consider themselves as slow swimmers whose strokes "suck." They are desperate for knowledge and guidance in how to deal with this strange medium. Many have read books which left them totally confused. "

Doug,

Great description, describes me to a tee. How do you get around the problem of ankle inflexibility when doing your classes? It seems like you place a lot of emphasis on the kick, but my kick does not move me forward at all. Is it possible to make constructive changes in one's stroke if one's kick sucks?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: More of Stern's view of swimming [TnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are times when I think I am living in a vacuum. I am yelling but no one hears me.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very good post, indeed. i am a poor swimmer, who does much better in open water swimming than lapping a pool ... not sure why that is ... i have been reluctant to invest in lessons, as every from-birth swimmer that i've been around has a difficult time breaking down what i do and what i should be doing ... umm ... it's expensive, too.

so, what does a clinic cost? do you do 2-day, intensive weekends where you can teach you technique, and give a person a knowledge base to work on?

i'm tempted to just start using your "scooter" drill based on the description in your post.

thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: More of Stern's view of swimming [scotta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott,

You are right.

After I assess my clients I put fins on everyone. We spend the next two sessions wearing fins all the time. Fins (Zoomers) place your body in the correct swimming position. They also make you move fast through the water so that you feel more of what is going on around you. Wearing fins eliminates the frustraion of first learning how to swim. I supply fins for the entire class.

Once we have established some semblanace of stroke, the fins come off and hand paddles come on.

Play on,

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: More of Stern's view of swimming [TomAnnapolis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I work in New York and have an openwater camp in Western Sullivan County in May and June. You can get informtion from my website at www.dougstern.com.

The scooter drill is a great drill for learning technique.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doug, thank you and keep 'em coming. Swimming well seems to be such a strange phenomenon because if you're exposed to competitve swimming at an early age, you seemingly "get it" for the rest of your life. Contrast that with most of us here a Slowtwitch who expect to be able to train harder to get faster and just can't when it comes swimming. I have a ways to go. One of the best mental images suggested to me was to imagine you're on a surfboard in shallow coral and therefore keep your arms high. Previously I was digging for the bottom of the pool. And I'm trying to stretch out those ankles. What did Tinley do for ankle stretching exercises?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doug - do you like the Zoomers better than the newer split fin design, or do you just already have a stock of Zoomers on hand?

zoomers:

split fins:

aquasphere:

TYR:

Quote | Reply
Doug,

For those of us far from N.Y. (Chicago suburbs), any thoughts on what to look for in a coach? I am a dog slow swimmer (1:05 50), often passed by kick boards floating in the pool. I have taken classes twice, both taught by people with good reputations, with no real improvment in my times.

For someone with times as slow as mine, should there be a glaring problem with my stroke? Is there any kind of general benchmark to see if you are making progress?

Thanks for all your input,

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doug thats great. Sounds like you've done a good job of teaching people how to swim. Did you ever get a National class Age Group swimmer with drills using fins?

You may be able to garner some clients from slowtwitch if you keep posting. Thanks for the technique hints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post!

Now, how does body weight or height affect your swimming!

Los
Quote Reply
Re: More of Stern's view of swimming [direwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Direwolf,

I like my Zoomers. The Finis company makes them now. They are sending me a new pair. It is slightly longer and has a split foot. I will test them out.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: More of Stern's view of swimming [JDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JDub,

I just gave him one session and do not know if he kept up witht he stretching. If you work at a computer, take off your shoes and stretch while you are working. Gently press on the tops of your feet with your toes curled under. They will slowly increase in flexibility.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: More of Stern's view of swimming [scotta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotta,

Time is always a good criterion. Are you getting faster? I have found that swimming is one of those sports that needs monitoring by a knowledgeable person. Unless I have someone watch me swim my stroke falls apart. I like having the feedback from someone on the deck.

If you can get a bunch of people together and secure a pool I can come out for a weekend. I have ot been in Chicago in years.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: More of Stern's view of swimming [gram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gram,

I coached high school for 17 years. My teams always performed incredibly well. Most of my swimmers had no swimming background before they came to my school. After 3-4 years they were the fastest in New York. I was twice "coach of the year" in New York City.

Almost every college team uses fins for speed work. Fins put in tune with your stroke when you are travelling at speed.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: More of Stern's view of swimming [LosPSU94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Los,

It depends on how the body weight is distributed.

Height - all things being equal, a tall person will swim faster than a short one. It all has to do with flow line. The longer you are on the water, the greater your potential for speed.

I am 5"9'' and weigh 166. My older brother was 6'0" and 175. He kicked my ass.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitely need some help in this department. I am 6'3" 205 lbs and I get passed by all the women in the pool. I've never swam competitively or anything close to that. Yikes!!!

Los
Quote Reply
Re: More of Stern's view of swimming [LosPSU94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Los,

You would be a joy to work with. Look at that raw potential!

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doug,

Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately finances do not allow a lot of room for such priviledges!!!

Los
Quote Reply