Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Money to spend - Bike
Quote | Reply
6'4" 192#. 34" inseam. Front of middle or back of front speed-wise. Oly distance. Moving up to 1/2 IM. Live in NYC. Willing to spend some $$. But demand value for the $$ spent. Want to go steep seat tube.

Want a bike that fits. Really do not trust any bike shop - they are selling what they've got. Plus, while I am happy to pay for service, there is a cap on how much I'll pay for it.

Questions:
1. Bike suggestions [know everyone likes cervelo. Thinking about a Serotta custom]
2. How to get fit
3. Where to buy it
Quote Reply
Re: Money to spend - Bike [JHESEE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
www.yaquiusa.com

Talk to Ves. I had a P3, sold it, got a custom Carbo from Ves. Best decision I could have made.

Andy

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wants professional fit + thinking custom Serotta + lives in NY = must at least talk to Paul Levine about what he can do for you. He posts here occasionally under his own name, so you can search back for some of his ideas about fitting and service

http://www.signaturecycles.com/

Ken
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  Cervelo R2 5 Chorus - obviously.

Tom Demerly necessarily exists, Tom’s essence is existence Tom’s essence is perfect, and therefore Tom’s perfection implies that Tom must exist. Since Tom is infinite substance, no attribute which expresses the essence of substance can be denied of Tom . Every being has its being in Tom. Nothing can come into being or exist without Tom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have the $$$ by all means take a trip to Saratoga Springs and see Ben Serrotta...they make some incredible bikes.
The Ottrott custom fitted to you can be an amazing long lasting bike.
They have workmanship un-parralled in this current industry ....their CNC work is the best I've seen....in your height range, they are who you should see.
Plus, Saratoga is an awesome town,and puts on one of the best OLY distance Tri's.

I don't own one....can't afford it,but, if I could I would get one.
I've ridden an Ottrott though,and it has a very smooth
ride,and fast..
Good Luck

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Money to spend - Bike [baruch spinoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not steep.
Quote Reply
Re: Money to spend - Bike [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I saw was $$ and a need for speed. He does not want a P3 for some strange reason.

Tom Demerly necessarily exists, Tom’s essence is existence Tom’s essence is perfect, and therefore Tom’s perfection implies that Tom must exist. Since Tom is infinite substance, no attribute which expresses the essence of substance can be denied of Tom . Every being has its being in Tom. Nothing can come into being or exist without Tom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do some research on the Litespeed custom bikes. Herbert posts here and can help. I do not know how the measuring and set up process works though. You could get a sweet custom tri bike though, ant Ti to boot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget about "what bike to buy". Primary focus at this point should only be fit. Accordingly, I would check out Levine (haven't used him personally) or go to FitWerx in Waitsfield, VT. I have used them and I can tell you that I have had surgical procedures that were less detailed!! Ian and Sarah are the best and they sell you what fits and is best for your goals, not what brand they stock. They are a fitting shop and parts place dedicated to multi-sport, not a bike dealer in the traditional sense. They can get almost any brand so you are not limited in selection. They also do a ton of custom work (Elite, Serrotta, Calfee). I, like you, live in NYC so it's a bit of a haul to get up there, but it's more than worth it. I can't say enough good things about them and there post-purchase availability is unbelievable. I just picked up my new bike from them last week and it couldn't have been a better experience. Word of warning: If you go custom, at this point you are probably looking at a June delivery at the earliest.

PM me if you want chat further or have any questions.

www.fitwerx.com

I proudly DO NOT post my workouts on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Money to spend - Bike [chrisc70] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great advice. I am going to talk to one of them. I need lots of advice before spending the ??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, you're being very smart. It's a lot of $$ if you go custom so it's best to do as much diligence as possible. The one thing I would check out is if Levine sells anything other than Serotta. I dont' know the answer to this, but my view is to keep you options open as much as possible. You should go to Fitwerx if for nothing else becuase they carry such top of the line stuff, it's like an alcoholic walking into a bar with a fistful of money. You can't help but walk out of there with a new bike!!

Good luck.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd check out Griffen. Custom geometry is available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go custom if I were you. Leonard Zinn makes custom bikes for tall riders. Check his site out at zinncycles.com. Even if you don't buy one of his bikes, the site has some great information on bikes for tall riders and things that need to be taken into consideration when building bikes for tall riders.

Litespeed, Elite, Serrotta, Griffen and many others can build you a custom bike with the perfect fit for you. Just check out their websites and give them a call or an e-mail. Your dimensions look like you are right on the borderline with being able to find a stock bike that would fit you well.

Good Luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the former part owner of Elite and being 6'5" 220lbs, I have to recommend you take a look at Elite Bicycles. Dave has a lot of experience building for taller riders and even has a bike at his store for someone taller then both of us.

I'm fairly sure he also has dealers in your area that can fit you.

You can visit his site at http://www.elitebicycles.com and yes he does custom fits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Save yourself the time and just call only one person - Paul Levine. He has worked with dozens of my clients and they are all impressed with his service, professionalism and expertise. check out his website at signaturecycles.com.
he is the best and he is right in the NYC area. it is really worth visiting his impressive bike-fitting operation just outside the city.
if you are going to invest a lot of money in a bike then he is your man
Quote Reply
Re: Money to spend - Bike [gostigian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Levine offer any other makes other than Serotta? I have heard good things about him, but lack of variety tends to turn me off. If you don't want custom and Serotta stock frames don't reallyfit, what do you do? Having said that, he is closer than FitWerx and has a good reputation, but personally, I think the drive to VT is worth it.

Quote Reply
Re: Money to spend - Bike [sharad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a tall (6'2) with dis-proportionally long femurs and tib-fib. Dave fit me to a T-Class that is currently being built. The fitting process was incredible, finding a leg length disparity that doc's and PT's have missed in the past.

I'd seriously have a look at Elite and get down to Philly for a fitting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike R

Software Engineer and Mac geek
Aspiring to be front-middle-of-the-pack in 2010.
Quote Reply
Re: Money to spend - Bike [sharad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got my new Razor and it feels great. I didn't get fit by Dave, but spoke with him a few times. Elite's customer service is great. Plus, it's good to buy American.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Elite here. I know a few people on custom Elites (Razor) and they love them. I have an Elite, I love it. I'm sure almost any custom bike will be good but if service after the sale is important to you Elite deserves a serious look. Dave is a great guy who treats his customers like family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Litespeed Blade .......have them do a custom build.......inexpensive IMHO........I LOVE the blade they built for me....JUST a GREAT company...

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to echo what everyone has said here already. I been to Paul Levine no less than 6 times in the last two years. During those visits I have gotten:

1. Fit on my tri and road bike

2. Changed my bars and saddle (I am a gear geek, but I like to have the right fit and when you chnage your saddle you sit differently and should have it changed by someone who can readfust your fit)

3. Had my wife fit for a custom tri bike

4. Picked up her bike

5. Been fit for a custom road bike

6. Picked up that bike

All in all I can say that Paul really knows what he is doing. He is probably the best fitter on the east coast and gives each client attention as how to fit them properly as opposed to realying on preconcieved notions of seat angle, etc. If you live in NYC go see Paul, its a no brainer. I think he actually comes into the city once or twice a weeks so that is an alternative for you as well.

As for bikes, I can tell you that the custom serotta, my Nove road bike and my wifes CXII are faboulous. My road bike handles like a dream, fast, responsive and corners great. I am able to ride in the drops (finally) and feel comforatble sprinting out of saddle in the drops. Two things which in the past never seemed possible. As for my wifes bike, she raced it in IMMOO last year and said that she had not one ache during the ride. No hand, butt, or neck discomfort at all. For my money I would go to Paul and get a custom Serotta.

Just my $.02.

Neal Dunn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have to say if you are close to Paul Levine I would make use of that resource. He is a thoughtful guy and fine craftsman. I am certain you will be very pleased with the results.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yo man. if, by "But demand value for the $$ spent" you mean you need a bike that will not put you to sleep out sheer mass market boredom like some of the bikes suggested so far are certain to do . . . . .check out a few bikes that actually have a pulse. maybe:

http://www.yamaguchibike.com/...es/timetrial-y2k.htm

or say,

http://www.tiemeyercycles.com/tri.html

or, of course something like

http://www.waterfordbikes.com/...multisport/index.php

any one of something like those will not only keep you awake, but their proven record of world beating experience might show that there is more than the group-think possibilities out there, bro. show a little brio, and panache hey.

and, these builders can fit you, homes. it is what they do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to second all the votes to see Paul Levine.

To answer the question that has been thrown out, no, Paul does not sell any bikes other than Serottas. He will fit people irrespective of what bike they ride, but since you don't have a bike that you want a better fit on, that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Pual fit me to my TT bike, which is an Ottrott ST. The thing is so smooth, you don't always realize that you are flying. I shaved about 30 seconds off my 4 mile TT getting an Ottrott. (I have a consistent 4 mile course that I ride a lot, and I was immeadiately faster. I know that wind conditions vary from day to day, etc. But I ride it a lot, and somewhere in the 30 second range - 8:50 -> 8:20 in calm weather was the difference I saw going from a Cannondale IM5000 to my Ottrott. Same wheeels.)

The fit process is amazingly thorough. Considering that the rider is the greatest source of drag on the bike, optimizing rider aero position with proper fit is essential. Secondly, since even if you have a super-aero position, a la Bjorn A or someone like that, it doesn't matter if you can't put out power in that position. 5% aero savings isn't worth a 10% power drop. Lastly, and this is perhaps the most underappreciated element - a properly fitted bike is easier to control. Controlling deep section wheels can be tricky. It requires muscular effort, mental effort, and can be more taxing that we often realize. On a properly fit Serotta, which rides right and handles like a dream, you are more in control and the savings in terms of not struggling to control your disc/H3/etc. mean all your power goes into moving you forward.

I can't think of a better investment than a trip to Paul Levine.

Regarding Serotta's, the technology aspect of Serotta's is also often forgotten about. They are not just custom geometry. The tubes are also custom matched to your size, riding style, etc. And the quality is unmatched. The torsional stiffness of Ottrott carbon tubes is the highest in the business, but they vertical compliance is still dreamy carbon. The titanium tubes are also custom built for Serotta. Even if Serotta's weren't built to fit you perfectly in terms of geometry and responsiveness, they are also some of the most technologically advanced frames on the market. The work that they have done on ride quality, load response, etc. is certainly equal to what Cervelo has done with aerodynamic testing. Check out their new catalog, which discusses a lot of this technology.

Anyway, I love my Ottrott, it has made me faster on the bike and on the run (because I am less mentally fatigued) and is a dream to ride.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if you have money to spend - custom for sure w/ your possible measurements:

I'd look at Griffen and Guru. Check out Tom Demerly's reviews of Guru. I love mine and custom is no problem since they are all built by someone you can actually talk to on the phone. I have a litespeed too, but I'd go with Guru (and I used to have a Serotta as well). Had a Griffen road bike that I liked, but is fading from my memory bank - got it used though.

Prev Next