Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Molina Kicks Ass Again...keeps ticking 20 years later
Quote | Reply
It seems like it was just yesterday when Molina had this huge winning streak winning every USTS race back in 1985. Reading his exploits got me to do my first tri that year. In his time, he won every race of any significance, including Hawaii, Nice and USTS Hilton Head.

Well, he is still winning. It appears that he won the age grouper race at Ironman Arizona at the age of 45:

SCOTT MOLINA 9/10/14 45 00:52:00 04:58:17 03:25:39 09:23:38

Mr. Skid...congrats...not bad for a guy with a trashed back....where do us old guys sign up for Titanflex !

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Molina Kicks Ass Again...keeps ticking 20 years later [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sub 5 hour bike, wow! even with all the turns ; )

Andy

www.infinitnutrition.com

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Re: Molina Kicks Ass Again...keeps ticking 20 years later [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great for him. I'm curious why he races as an age grouper while Ken Glah races as a pro.

Barefoot
Quote Reply
Re: Molina Kicks Ass Again...keeps ticking 20 years later [barefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is a true age grouper, with a business and a bunch of kids and family :-). Seriously though, once you are into your 40's, its pretty tough to race at pointy edge of the pro race !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost think that their should be a sub catagory for ex pros. Sort of like at Kona when the first "AG'er" over the line was a guy that had raced in the TDF as pro cyclist. Seems a bit unfair that Joe OfficeWorker has to compete against these guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Molina Kicks Ass Again...keeps ticking 20 years later [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats to Scott Molina who had a great race. 45-49 mens competition is going to be hot in Kona this year.

I have always thought there should be a Pro Masters Division. There are a lot of great Pros out there in the 40+ age now. They may not be as competitive as the younger pros, but still want to compete in something more than age group. I think it would show some "respect" to some of our greats in the sport. Offer some $$$ too!

Support Crew

Who would have thought it would be cold in Arizona!

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish it was the TitanFlex that did it...then I'd be that fast, too! I'm certain the bike has positive benefits on his peformance due to good positioning being easier to hold because of the more comfortable ride (and perhaps, subsequently on the run). Then again, I don't know if he even rode his Boom Bike, or not. Either way: Way to go S & M! You do us old guys with sore backs proud!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Molina Kicks Ass Again...keeps ticking 20 years later [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Support Crew, I agree, a masters pro division would be cool.

On the ladies side, you'd have PNF and Karen Smyers duking it out ! Pretty cool. Kinda like the seniors PGA !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got home from working security at the race. At one point I was working near the swim to bike transition. Molina went blasting into the transition area and then rather than zig-zagging through the rows to get to the change tent (like everybody else), he hurdled across all the bags in a straight line. It probably saved him 5 seconds at best but its what separates the guys with the edge from those without it.
Quote Reply
Re: Molina Kicks Ass Again...keeps ticking 20 years later [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice.

How high were the bags? I have this great image of a guy, just out of the water and thus a little dizzy, leaping over 2-foot high bag barriers. That's classic stuff.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Molina Kicks Ass Again...keeps ticking 20 years later [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Support Crew, What's the news on Joe? All I see is that he was gaining on Molina on the bike and then he never finished.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing performance, and I don't care about the "former pro" thing. Top overall AG'r .. at the age of 45!

Remember -- quite a few of the other young AG'rs are border line pros now, and they couldn't even hang with Skid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Support Crew, I agree, a masters pro division would be cool.

On the ladies side, you'd have PNF and Karen Smyers duking it out ! Pretty cool. Kinda like the seniors PGA !

Brad Kearns did that at Auburn last year. Gave them a nice introduction at the swim start. Slowman was included in that group, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Molina Kicks Ass Again...keeps ticking 20 years later [Threadkiller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Support Crew, What's the news on Joe? All I see is that he was gaining on Molina on the bike and then he never finished.
I spoke to Joe afterwards and he DNF, pulled because he "was not felling well". Doctor diagnosed amonia (or however you spell it). First DNF inn 40 IM

http://www.wimdedoncker.be
Quote Reply
Re: Molina Kicks Ass Again...keeps ticking 20 years later [wimothy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct, Joe started having trouble in the swim and it only got worse on the bike. He quit 1/2 way on the bike with chest pain. The Dr in the med tent said he had pnuemonia. He diagnosed REST. I am trying to explain to Joe what that word means right now.

There are only three things a triathete thinks can kill him. 1. Cars, 2. Fat, 3. Rest.

Support Crew

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Re: Molina Kicks Ass Again...keeps ticking 20 years later [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Almost think that their should be a sub catagory for ex pros. Sort of like at Kona when the first "AG'er" over the line was a guy that had raced in the TDF as pro cyclist. Seems a bit unfair that Joe OfficeWorker has to compete against these guys.

First, congrats to Molina for pulling off 2 IM in the 9.20:s within 5 weeks. Almost without any run training at that. Pretty cool to have one of the triathlon greats still showing that kind of passion for the sport after all these years.

Secondly I don't really agree with it being unfair for former pros to compete in the AG's. Those guys are not pros anymore, if they were they'd still compete in that category. Besides where would you draw the line? What kind of sporting background is it ok to have and still compete as an AG'er? Some people are bound to have an advantage over others be it genetics or athletic background.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Last edited by: bjorn: Apr 9, 05 22:08
Quote Reply
Re: Molina Kicks Ass Again...keeps ticking 20 years later [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorrry, gotta disagree with the notion of it being "unfair" for Molina to be in the AG race.. How old is Molina? 45. Why should we pull the best athletes out of the AG race just so that it makes it easier for someone like me to make it to Kona? Who says we have it more difficult than Molina? How do we know he has better "genetics"? How do we know whether he is just someone with above average talent who is smart, trains hard, races smart and hard, juggles work, a family, injuries. If I can't compete successfully in my age group (40-44) and place in the top 4-5% of ANYONE of that age, then I don't deserve a slot. I can live with it. Can you?

Nothing wrong with a division for ex pros, but they have every right to race AG if they wish. I think it's cool to have the best talent in the AG race.
Quote Reply
Re: Molina Kicks Ass Again...keeps ticking 20 years later [prof v] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's exactly what I was saying!

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Re: Molina Kicks Ass Again...keeps ticking 20 years later [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Scott have to follow the normal "age grouper" procedures, ie pay his own registration a year in advance, get his own hotel accomodations, no special "VIP" treatment that his age group competitors don't receive (other than maybe that which is required to keep his fans at bay)? If so, then there is no doubt he is an age grouper. I notice he doesn't have any special race number. If he does get a few perks (who could blame him) I doubt they make any time difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guys, class never goes way, and Molina is a class act.

And I CANNOT believe people are giving him shit for racing AG! I mean, AG racing only makes sense for over 40 yo!!!

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Molina Kicks Ass Again...keeps ticking 20 years later [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, this is what is so cool about our sport. The legend is still racing and kicking ass. Molina is one of the Big 4 who helped CREATE triathlon as we know it today. When you do your 6 hour sat ride plus 30 min transition run and then head off on Sunday for another 2:30 run, its thanks to guys like Molina, who through trial and error, came up with many of the accepted training formulas we take for granted. In their day, they trained like elite swimmers, biked 1000K weeks like some top cyclists and were still cranking off 100 miles a week on the run :-). Thanks to these guys we know what works and does not today :-).

Only in triathlon do we have legends like this still competing for the love of the sport. Is this not cool or what ? Its great that we have age group competition to bring out these studs into our midst...and if they whip our butts, all the better :-).

That being said, a master elite division would be cool, but they should still be entitled to the regular age group slots etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Molina Kicks Ass Again...keeps ticking 20 years later [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, Molina is a class act and deserves a little more respect. In the pre race hype I kept hearing about "Past IM Champions" and didn't hear Scott mentioned. At least Mike Riley gave him some Props at the finish line.

As far as people complaining, They only complain if you win.

Support Crew

Support Crew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Support Crew, please pass on my best to Joe. I do agree with you, about the three things we fear: cars-fat-rest. So true ! I'm tapering for Boston Marathon, so I am getting fat with all this rest and keep fearing I will get slow. Today's short interval session at the track however suggests everything is on track :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Molina Kicks Ass Again...keeps ticking 20 years later [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry Bjorn, wasn't taking aim at you - simply agreeing with you.

Who cares if Molina gets a few perks - so does Bonness and some of the other top AGers. If you want perks as an age grouper, go sub 9:30.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>That being said, a master elite division would be cool, but they should still be entitled to the regular age group slots etc.<<

And just to clarify for some who don't know the way Kona slots work....Molina never "takes" a slot from anyone in his age group since as a former winner of the race, he can enter forever if he wants. So actually, if he's in your AG, you really have one less guy to worry about!

clm*

coached by THE TERMINATOR ;-)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next