Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mojave Death Race Report
Quote | Reply
Just got back from participating in the Mojave Death Race. This is a 250+ mile relay across the Mojave from Primm, NV to Baker, CA and back. Teams of 12 run, mtn bike, and road bike over some of the most rugged and God forsaken country I've ever seen. You also have to provide your own sag for the entire event. Because of the extreme conditions (114 was the highest temp we saw) a chase vehicle must stay with the athlete at all time. The race started at 5:00 AM on Saturday and our team finished in about 24:45:00. There were no easy stages, but some were really brutal. The shortest stage was a 6 mile uphill run on pavement. We hit this section at about 2:00 PM and it was 109 in the shade. There are a couple of mtn. bike/road bike combos where the same person has to switch bikes mid stage. I road a 20.5 mile road bike stage that climbed over 2000' in about 7 miles before descending back to the desert floor. The only piece of shade was when I crossed under I-40. My support crew was constantly spraying me with cold water which was the only way I could keep going. I'm not a bad climber, but this ride had me pegged in about the first 2 miles. The decent was pretty scary as I was doing 35 MPH over some pretty rough roads. I was totally spun out on a 50-11 gear and the rough surface made it tough to grip the bars very tightly.
I got a break while the team continued on with the next 3 legs, an 8 mile run-43 mile road bike-6.5 mile run. Next up I sagged for 3 off road legs. I drove the support car while we did a 10 mile uphill trail run that never let up. It was a steady 7% grade over very deep & loose sand. It started about 9:00 PM and the outside temp was 103. This was followed by an 18 mile mtn bike over the summit and down the other side. We lost our rider when he hit 35 on the descent and I couldn't keep up in the car. We finally caught back up when the road flattened out and then got lectured at the next check point for not staying with our athlete. I was completely knackered at this point and got a few hours rest in the RV. When I woke up we were in Jean, NV waiting for our runner to come in and tag off for the final 8.5 mile run to the finish. I helped sag us in as the sun was coming up on Sunday morning.
Our team consisted of 6 Ironman finishers and 6 friends of varying levels of experience in endurance sports. We finished 4th out of 14 teams and 1st in the co-ed division. This was one of the most challenging and fun events I have ever done. The organization and logistics required are amazing. It was a challenge on many different levels and the vibe was really great. Very low key and very well organized. I would recommend this race to anyone who wants to push themselves to a new limit.
Check it out for next year. www.mojavedeathrace.com

Gary MC

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Mojave Death Race Report [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's really cool and great job, i've always found relay races interesting but I'd need to find a team instead of forming one =(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Their pain was my pleasure......

The race sounds very cool (pun intended).

You never know what you're going to get with this race and this year was no different. At the pre-race meeting the night before, we were treated to an amazing lightening and thunder show. The skies opened up, deluging us with rain and sending everyone scrambling for shelter. As if on que, the winds picked up after that, forcing race organizers to grasp for everything not anchored down in an effort to salvage all the race equipment, schwag and shelters before it took flight across the desert. We all had a good laugh and came up with next year t-shirt slogan of "I survived the 2004 Mojave Death Race Pre-race Meeting". Luckily, that was the most excitement that the weather brought to the race. A little cooler temperatures prevailed the next day. The race was very well run with great support at the exchange points and instaneous, up-to-the-minute tracking of every race team and racer back at race HQ.

This race has been an annual pilgrimmage for me since 1998. I plan on making it to next year's race and hosting a team again. Thanks for competing with us.

I want to add that this year's race was the most competitive race to date with minutes, rather than hours, separating teams after more than 24 hours of racing. I hear that you can pick up some really good deals on real estate in that area and the chicks in the desert are hot, too.

Relax2dmax

Relax2dmax

"Just remember there is only 2 letters difference between STUD and STUPID." Heard on the course of the 1998 Lost Boys Ultramarathon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on the team with Gary for the Death Race. By the way, our team name was Buns and Weenies, tough I'll let Dave (Relax2daMax) explain that.
What Gary doesn't say is that as tiring as the legs are that you have to race are, you are also going almost continuously for the 24 hour race, as you are traveling between exchange points and driving sag vehicles for the other team members. This really adds up, and during leg 17 we got a radio call from our sag vehicle at the time saying that Gary was incoherent and they needed someone to meet them and take over the Sag as they were all toast. You see, Gary just loves to help so much that he wouldn't quit and just ran himself into a sleep deprived stupor helping out his teammates. We were sleeping in the motorhome just up the road from where they were at the moment, resting up so that we would have fresh people ready to finish the support, so we were able to get another vehicle and people there so that the current crew could get some way overdue rest. As they pulled up to the motorhome at the next exchange, Gary was pulled from the car and dragged into the RV for a much overdo nap.
These races are great fun and challenging as you have to keep all your teammates fresh for the stages they have to race, but you also have to force each other to rest during the day as you don't want to stop helping each other out and your love for the team can drive you into the ground.
Huge thanks to Dave and Vivian for organizing our team, I couldn't have had a better time and their organization was a huge part of this. I'll definitely be back next year.

Mark
Quote Reply