Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Missed athlete check-in
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, I was curious if you guys had any experience with this. I signed up for IM Santa Rosa 2019 but I didn't realize that there wouldn't be athlete check-ins on Friday. I must've skipped over this by accident because of a cursory read of the athlete guide. The issue is that I am taking a prerequisite course for graduate school that I needed to attend on the last day of athlete check-in. In my experience, none of the events I have signed up for in the past barred Friday check-ins which gave me this false sense of security.

Are they typically lenient on allowing cases like this through? Should I drive up (2 hours away) to talk to someone? If not then I understand...it just sucks because I've sunk so much into this race as my last big race before I start applying into my graduate medical programs and saying goodbye to triathlon for the foreseeable future.

Any input is welcome. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Missed athlete check-in [Khwang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What day do they require you to check in?
Quote Reply
Re: Missed athlete check-in [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday and today, which I missed. Race is Saturday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call them. There should be a contact number listed.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Missed athlete check-in [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see a number listed for that specific race. Only email addresses under the "Contact us" link.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They put the check-in information in red text all over the registration page.

You'll probably have a hard time getting any kind of response from them tonight. If you're going to race, you have to be there to check your bike tomorrow anyway. I would pack your stuff, drive up there in the morning and be prepared to beg for forgiveness. I doubt they will turn you away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call them, this is straight up WTC bullshit. How do you get a town to permit your race? Oh we'll bring in so much money, our athletes are forces to be here 3 days minimum, 4 if they want their award the next morning. Look, I get it, they offer a product, people buy, if you don't like it look elsewhere. But who in the heck can't allow a race day eve check in as long as you can make the athlete meeting?
Quote Reply
Re: Missed athlete check-in [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should have called race director or Ironman before now. There’s an emergency number in the athletes guide for situations like this. I’d be surprised if they let you race not saying it right it’s just how it is.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Khwang [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great news. Have a great race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Call them, this is straight up WTC bullshit. How do you get a town to permit your race? Oh we'll bring in so much money, our athletes are forces to be here 3 days minimum, 4 if they want their award the next morning. Look, I get it, they offer a product, people buy, if you don't like it look elsewhere. But who in the heck can't allow a race day eve check in as long as you can make the athlete meeting?

care to revise and extend your comments?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Khwang wrote:
Ok thank you for that advice. I went into the athlete guide and found an emergency number. Spoke with someone and they're letting me through. However they did mention they will enforce this more in subsequent years.

Thank you everyone who took the time to respond! Looks like I get to race!! :D

Good to hear. Have a good race.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Missed athlete check-in [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve seen plenty of times people checking in the bikes on the race day morning. Several thousand people race so some people will always run into issues such as delayed flights, flat tire and whatnot. They will take care of you but they just don’t want to deal with too many people like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience IM are pretty accommodating if you have a legitimate and reasonable excuse.

In my case it was a Tool concert on the Friday night. :-) \m/
Quote Reply
Re: Missed athlete check-in [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol...tool
Quote Reply
Re: Missed athlete check-in [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ripple wrote:

Nope.

It all still holds and they were not offering pre-race-day check in, and the OP mentioned they plan to enforce it more in the future.

It is, however, fantastic that they gave him an exception.

They are still a money grabbing outlet that has a great product, and forcing athletes to stay in a town for 3+ days is how they can point to economic benefit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you realize how lucky you are. They made an exception in your favor helping prevent a very costly mistake. Things happen and that’s why there’s an emergency number, but on the other hand how do you miss check in when most people spend 8-10 months training for that one event. Getting to the event on time is kind of a big deal. In the future, please don’t do this again. These occurrences only increase stiffer regulation by RD’s at their events, which impacts all of us.
Quote Reply
Re: Missed athlete check-in [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Event schedule and athlete guide definitely should be high on list of priorities for any athletes. But I’m always surprised when people obviously have not looked at them.
Quote Reply
Re: Missed athlete check-in [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I hope you realize how lucky you are. They made an exception in your favor helping prevent a very costly mistake. Things happen and that’s why there’s an emergency number, but on the other hand how do you miss check in when most people spend 8-10 months training for that one event. Getting to the event on time is kind of a big deal. In the future, please don’t do this again. These occurrences only increase stiffer regulation by RD’s at their events, which impacts all of us.

Great lecture, dad

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: Missed athlete check-in [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

Great lecture, dad

The OP is very lucky. There was a thread a few years back about a guy that flew over from Europe to race IMTX. IMTX is a Saturday race. Guy showed up at check-in on Friday. Check-in had to be done by Thursday. They did not let him race.

A very simple review of the athlete guide and schedule from either the current or previous years would have solved that problem before it actually became a problem.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Missed athlete check-in [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup and I'm sure he didn't need someone to lecture him like a child to feel fortunate

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: Missed athlete check-in [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:
Yup and I'm sure he didn't need someone to lecture him like a child to feel fortunate

Agreed but I didn't think mwanner's response was that harsh.

Flipside is... who doesn't read the athlete guide or schedule leading up to a race? I have never once gone to a "mandatory" athlete meeting but you can be certain I read the guide and schedule.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just started a new job after unfortunate events. I can't make IMGC 70.3 check-in today (Friday) by 4. I emailed them that I will be there by 7:30 and they told me "Safety" and "Security" I have to attend athletes briefing and there is nothing they can do. I understand processes and procedures but Friday by 4pm? Let's be honest, their customer is Corporate not the Athlete.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Slowman wrote:
ripple wrote:

Nope.

It all still holds and they were not offering pre-race-day check in, and the OP mentioned they plan to enforce it more in the future.

They are still a money grabbing outlet that has a great product, and forcing athletes to stay in a town for 3+ days is how they can point to economic benefit.

Okay. I just thought you might want to unmake an ass out of yourself. But that's certainly not required.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ripple wrote:
Slowman wrote:
ripple wrote:

Nope.

Okay. I just thought you might want to unmake an ass out of yourself. But that's certainly not required.
I just follow the leader.

Nothing I wrote is untrue. And not having pre-race-day check-in is a bullshit move. But, WTC, golden rule, yadda yadda. When speaking the truth = being an ass, welp.. there's your sign.
Quote Reply

Prev Next