Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mischevious thought for the day...
Quote | Reply
The campus where I'm interning at has a bajillion loaner bikes for people to get around on. They are ugly, old, orange, singlespeed and are built so ladies can wear skirts while riding. They have a basket. You guys/gals know the type. Mischievous idea that will never occur: a CRITERIUM with these things! Could you comprehend the mayhem and excitement that would accompany such a event? The start would be a sprint to a collection of bikes and then laps around the campus. It would be freaking awesome.

What say you?

Anyways, I'd better ride one of these crappy bikes over to my lab area and get to work.

Daniel

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: Mischevious thought for the day... [DHeineck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it will fun, I would sign up to race. Have two divisons - one pure crit race round a circuit. Another race where the racers have to fill their basket with stuff and then race or pick up something for their basket every time they pass the start/finish line.

Quote | Reply
You know with all the super fast guys at LLNL you would have a serious race, beater bikes or not. If you get the green light let me know. I would be all over that and could be there in under 10 min.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crested Butte, CO has a long standing 'townie bike' event weekend. Including a crit and a 24 hour race. Some of those bikes are POS. But there is nothing better than riding one's townie bike to the bar/restaurant/grocery store and just leaving it out front along with the other POS bikes. And it's always there waiting for your return.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey since you are a local of Oregon, what "not to miss" things to do while travelling around your neck of the woods. We are racing a stage race weekend after in Eugene and taking some vacation after, doing the slow drive back to Vancouver with no specific plans other than to head to the coast and drive north

Quote | Reply
the small liberal arts college I went to school at has a race just like this. It started out in the 50's (I think?) as just a race around a couple buildings. It has evolved into much more of a spectator sport now, where the start is much like you describe, but now "things" are thrown at the riders and it is kind of a relay. Try it. You just might start the most disgusting tradition on campus.

Partially-Hydrogenated
Quote Reply
Re: Mischevious thought for the day... [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave,

I know... that would be what is even more hysterical. It's really a fantasy in my head I must admit. Given that I have 5 more days of work at the lab, I doubt I'd be able to put it together... you all know how gov't works ;-) Aaaah... I can just imagine what safety people would think.

Daniel

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: Mischevious thought for the day... [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When exactly? I don't actively participate (too expensive right now) but a lot of winerys in the Willamette Valley that are worth stopping by. The beach is unique, and I dont' remember exactly what it's like in Vancouver, so I couldn't tell you if it is the same. Mustn't miss... hmmm. I'll PM you when I can sort them all out in my head.

You'll enjoy it. September in Oregon is the best.

Daniel

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Daniel thanks. The race is on the weekend of the 18/19th in Eugene, with lots of time to just drive around your fair State. Was planning to head to the beaches but no other plans beyond that. Not much of a wine drinker more ice cream and pastries. If there is a guide book laying out all the good bakeries I will be the first to buy it! :)

Heck with the crit [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DERBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! look it up if you want to have some fun. G
Quote Reply
Re: Mischevious thought for the day... [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figure anyone who's curious would like to know, so I'll put it out in public.

Yummeries:

Papa Hayden's: Whole gamut of deserts--good stuff. In Portland.

St. Honoré Boulangerie -- Evidently a new gig that has been well rated in the Oreganonian :-) Portland also.

Tillamook Ice Cream -- In Tillamook obviously and it tastes at least 3 orders of magnitude (1000x) better than the stuff in the carton... several taffy places about there also.

Taffy all over the coast. Cannon beach is worth stopping by and Bruce Candy's makes it in front of you.

Along the coast, there's a nice lighthouse near Tillamook that I like hiking around, plus it has a really old Sitka Spruce that looks like an inverted octopus... pretty nifty if you ask me.

The coast itself is a peice of work... very rocky, constantly between 40-50 degrees Farenheit and marvelous to look out onto. Bring a sweatshirt or 2.

A big thanks to my mom for reminding me of all these places, and when I visit Vancouver again, I'll be asking the same. I can't remember the name of the Chinese restaurant we visited, but I've honestly never been more full in my life. Well, that's a lie, relatives in Sicily win that category.

Hope this helps and do fire any questions away. I'm coming up to my folks house in PDX from Norcal on Monday the 19th so if you'd like to ride on the 20th, shoot me a PM.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Daniel,

I'm trying to set up something similar down here at Cal; do you have a contact up your way for the loaner bike program?

The crit sounds fun; it should be after midnight though and everyone should wear masks.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Re: Mischevious thought for the day... [tim-mech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont' mean to be a downer, but I work at the DOE research lab in Livermore. I'm solidly inside a big fence with plenty of armed guards--kinda shut off from the outside. I just had this nutty idea that wouldn't fly at the lab. However, the more I think about it, the more fun it sounds to do when I get back to school, for real. You're thinking doing it at Cal-Berkley? I think the best way to fly is to have the commuter challenge. Get everyone and their cousin to show up with their junky mt bikes, roadies, fixies and singles. Seperate into classes and like SimonS was suggesting earlier, have 2 different comps. Beer is likely a good way... as long as speed is minimized and fun is maximized.

I'll keep you abreast of any futher mischeif done by yours truly.

Daniel

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh...you're at the Lab. Somehow I thought you were still up North. Say no more.

Which group at Livermore bought all the bikes?

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can I come?

I'm already wearing a skirt, AND, i've trained my little cat to ride in a basket!

Heck, I could win the thing!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey thanks guy, will definitely check out some of your suggestions. Not sure I want to ride a bike after the last race of the season but will keep in touch incase. Thanks again