Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Milkman 70.3 is back?
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone,

I was looking to do IM Wisconsin this year so and looking for a refresher race in June. I saw Milkman 70.3 is back and non-USAT sanctioned. Im considering signing up versus IM Steelhead 70.3.Anyone racing this? Past experiences?

Thanks,
Tom
Quote Reply
Re: Milkman 70.3 is back? [tmher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it both as milkman and following year when it became a IM branded race.

It's a well run race. Swim was weedy, but there was a heat wave leading up to both times i did it. I didn't care for the bike course, boring and rough roads. Nice run by the lake. I think I liked it more when it was milkman (they beer and better food at end).

Pro and local, Jackie Herring, said in post Chatt 70.3 interview that she's planning on racing it.
Quote Reply
Re: Milkman 70.3 is back? [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I did IM Wisconsin 70.3 last year and found the bike to be bumpy but Madison is a great host city. It looks like this year's bike route is different so hopefully it's better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First year of 70.3 WI was the milkman course, slightly modified i think. I just peeked at Milkman course and looks similar to when i did it. Roads are a little worse on this course, unless they did some road work.

Agree that Madison is a great host city and its a fun place to race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Course changes have made the course much quicker than what Milkman was before IRONMAN took it over.

Biggest hurdle will likely be the heat/humidity as mid June here can be brutal.

Overall, should be a solid race.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Milkman 70.3 is back? [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hopefully the blue-green algae stays away. few beaches already closing. Shame they couldn't get away from using the bike trail.
Quote Reply
Re: Milkman 70.3 is back? [iliketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing a clinic there tomorrow so will have a good idea of how Olin Park beach is. June isnt ideal for our beaches

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes about the blue-green algae. I just read the news articles on this. Hopefully it clears by race day. Would love an update! Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know the expected water temp on race day? My swimskin ripped, so I need to get a new one if we can’t wear wetsuits…

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Milkman 70.3 is back? [317] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
317 wrote:
Anyone know the expected water temp on race day? My swimskin ripped, so I need to get a new one if we can’t wear wetsuits…

Thanks!

it has always been wetsuit legal but can be very warm or close to cut-off

current temp is around 74 but can very as much as 5-6 deg from night to day.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/...0010F&period=P7D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I guess they’ll just find a long enough pole for the thermometer…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of changes to the bike course. Looks like they're on version 6.
Quote Reply
Re: Milkman 70.3 is back? [Jicawa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else think yesterday was brutal? Seemed like there was always a headwind on the bike, I almost went down hard on the backside of observatory hill, and the heat during the run. Tough day.
Quote Reply
Re: Milkman 70.3 is back? [317] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was very brutal. According to my bike computer, we reached over 2500 ft of climbing and follow that with a very hot run. Also, either the swim was long or I swam like garbage - which is probably also true.
Quote Reply