Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
MidWest Bike Fit Recommendations
Quote | Reply
I have had two "generic" bike fits performed over the last couple of years and they are definitely leaving me uninspired about my fit. I reviewed all of the fitters on the Bike Fit portion of the forum. I am looking for a Tri Bike fit in the MidWest based on users recommendations or who to stay away from based on bad experiences. I am located in South Central Illinois and I am definitely willing to drive a couple of hours to get to a reputable fitter. I am roughly 2.5 hours to St. Louis, 3 hours to Nashville, 3 hours to Indianapolis, and 4.5 hours to Chicago. I am more than willing to drive any of those distances to find a fitter.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: MidWest Bike Fit Recommendations [dmcdowell22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably a little out of your range, but I had a good fit experience with Jessica Laufenberg at Rocket Bicycle Studio in Verona, WI (near Madison). https://www.rocketbicyclestudio.com/bike-fitting-services
Last edited by: jwmott: Feb 14, 22 9:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another a bit of a drive, but Craig Watson (bikesbikesbikes.com) is an amazing fitter in Madison. He's virtually taught fitting worldwide and has over 12000 hours of fit. Was also a pro duathlete back in the day. He's meticulous, and by far the best around here if not in the US. He works out of a shop I work at in Madison so I see him most days and see the feedback from clients, which is always along the lines of best money they've spent on a bike. He's exceptionally qualified in all modes of bike; Road, MTB, Tri, recumbent, hybrid and tandem, and he does custom Lazer cut insoles of needed. He's worth every penny.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chicago has three great options.

Anne Barnes @ ABBikefit
Adam @ Peregrine Bicycle Studio
Brian Jacobson @Fit2Ride Velo Studio
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
51 Speedshop in Indy
Quote Reply
Re: MidWest Bike Fit Recommendations [Tortuga497] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the recommendations, if anyone has anymore, please feel free to throw them out.

Tortuga, I would love to go to 51 Speedshop but I thought Mat moved out to Boulder. Am I incorrect?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even further, but Chris Balser (Minneapolis) is world-class and has built up a huge base of clients who are extremely happy over the years, and I'm one of them.

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dmcdowell22 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the recommendations, if anyone has anymore, please feel free to throw them out.

Tortuga, I would love to go to 51 Speedshop but I thought Mat moved out to Boulder. Am I incorrect?

Dave Ripley does the fits out of Indy.

https://www.matsteinmetz.com/indy-fit-studio
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, our fitter, the one I recommended has a large network of fitters he suggests in all areas of the world. If you've not picked one yet, I could see who he feels is good in your area. Many of the good fitters stay in touch and collaborate.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: MidWest Bike Fit Recommendations [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d caution against ABBikefit. I had to file a credit card dispute/fraud claim for mine and my wife’s bike fits last April. Anne ghosted after charging us at our initial appointment and never provided fit coordinates or even an email response.

Unfortunately, this isn’t an isolated experience based on google reviews with similar experiences over the last year.
Quote Reply
Re: MidWest Bike Fit Recommendations [Tortuga497] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second 51 Speedshop in Indianapolis. It's now called THE WATT SHOP. Tony is GREAT! Suggested shorter cranks based on a hip impingement and my FTP went up 30 pts. in just the first ride after the bike fit.
Quote Reply
Re: MidWest Bike Fit Recommendations [LP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Madison and I am always looking for a reason to go to Madison, it is farther than I would like to go for a bike fit (6 hours) mainly because of the drive time for potential follow up fits.

Playguy, I would certainly take any recommendations your fitter would have, thanks!

BevK, I noticed the same thing about ABBikefit when I searched online, not something that makes me very excited.

LP, thanks to MGreer I see 51 Speedshop in Indy but I don't see anything about The Watt Shop or a fitter named Tony.
Quote Reply
Re: MidWest Bike Fit Recommendations [LP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LP wrote:
I second 51 Speedshop in Indianapolis. It's now called THE WATT SHOP. Tony is GREAT! Suggested shorter cranks based on a hip impingement and my FTP went up 30 pts. in just the first ride after the bike fit.

Third for Watt Shop.
Rip decided to get out of the business and taught Tony. They are still in touch. He’s been doing a great job
Quote Reply
Re: MidWest Bike Fit Recommendations [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for Adam. He has been in the Chicago fitting scene for a long time and been through several shops but has the knowledge and skill to provide excellent fitting services
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not emerys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How close are you to Peoria, IL? Bryce Mead owns the Trek shop down there now and I have heard some good feedback on fitting with him. I'm not sure how much (if any) of his fitting equipment is down there though.
Last edited by: dangle: Feb 16, 22 7:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if Tim at Maplewood Cyclery (St.Louis) is still there, but he was one of the go-to fitters in the region for many years. He was doing bike fits before it was status quo…

I’ve also used Scott Stein with Balanced Bike(St. Charles) fitting a number of times.
Quote Reply
Re: MidWest Bike Fit Recommendations [wakinglife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I reached out to Tony West at The Watt Shop (formerly 51 Speed Shop) and he was very prompt in his responses. I have scheduled a fitting with him for the end of March.
Quote Reply
Re: MidWest Bike Fit Recommendations [BevK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BevK wrote:
I’d caution against ABBikefit. I had to file a credit card dispute/fraud claim for mine and my wife’s bike fits last April. Anne ghosted after charging us at our initial appointment and never provided fit coordinates or even an email response.

Unfortunately, this isn’t an isolated experience based on google reviews with similar experiences over the last year.

I should mention that I had a fitting with Anne relatively recently and everything went fine. I didn't have any of the problems with follow-up that others have reported. We exchanged a few emails after the fitting and she responded promptly each time. That being said, I can see why your experience and the similar ones described on the Google Reviews would give one pause, especially when there are other good options in the area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In motion bike fit (stl/southern il) is awesome. I’ve had really good experiences working with Moe on 3 different bikes. He’s a really kind guy and, more importantly, an active problem solver.

https://www.inmotionbikefitstudio.com/
Quote Reply
Re: MidWest Bike Fit Recommendations [BevK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BevK wrote:

X's 2.
Do NOT use Ann Barnes. BevK's experience was exactly what happened to me.

No follow-up. She completely disappeared.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Post deleted by flocrest [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: flocrest: Feb 17, 22 19:41
Re: MidWest Bike Fit Recommendations [flocrest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's too bad. I'm sure not everyone has a great experience, but it's hard to build backlog of 3-4 months if the majority of your clients aren't happy. Hope it's all resolved and you're riding comfortably now!

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Last edited by: DKMNTRI: Feb 22, 22 9:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dmcdowell22 wrote:
I love Madison and I am always looking for a reason to go to Madison, it is farther than I would like to go for a bike fit (6 hours) mainly because of the drive time for potential follow up fits.

Playguy, I would certainly take any recommendations your fitter would have, thanks!

BevK, I noticed the same thing about ABBikefit when I searched online, not something that makes me very excited.

LP, thanks to MGreer I see 51 Speedshop in Indy but I don't see anything about The Watt Shop or a fitter named Tony.

Talked with our fitter yesterday and he recommended very highly Tim Ray of Maplewood Bicycle in St. Louis. timray3@mac.com; 314-781-9566. Our guy is Craig Watson and he has a huge network so can find others if you'd like, but Tim is closest in his opinion.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: MidWest Bike Fit Recommendations [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Playguy, thanks for taking the time to find a recommendation!
Quote Reply

Prev Next