Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mid-race TdF poll...
Quote | Reply
Given the latest events in the race...what are your predictions now, and how do they compare to the pre-race predictions? Mine are below:

Top 5:

1. Lance

2. Basso

3. Ullrich

4. Kloden

5. Mancebo

Some will question my placing for Ullrich...My reasoning is such: Voeckler, while a supremely deserved hero, will drop significantly, opening the way for Ullrich to enter the top 5. He's then definitely going to pass Mancebo given both TTs coming up, who has only a few seconds on Ullrich. The Alps and final week favor Ullrich, making his effort on Alpe d'Huez much closer. I think he takes time from both Kloden and Mancebo on Alpe. And surely he'll top them in the long TT, probably by quite a margin. Allowing him to just barely nip Kloden for the podium. Basso will give up a bit of time to Ullrich in the long TT, but not enough to fall below him. Ullrich will, of course, appear to ride for Kloden in the other stages, but will not lose time. At any rate, Ullrich makes the top 5 given Voeckler's impending fall from the yellow. Once there, Mancebo is a quick knockoff. Definitely 4th. Tactics and the other's races will determine whether he climbs over Kloden or not.

Leipheimer makes top-ten.

The biggest change from my pre-race lineup is the loss of Hamilton. I would have put Basso top 5 if we'd ranked that far. Mayo was top 10, so I guess that's a loss as well.

I never, for a second, doubted Armstrong would win, though. I still don't. Only misfortune can derail him now. One can never discount chance, though!
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-race TdF poll... [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Voeckler is burning fuel from deep in his soul. And, it's about to run dry. This young man with the big heart will lose 15 minutes, or more, in the next two stages, and his tongue will be hanging out of his mouth due to exhaustion on the final time trial as he loses more time. But, he's my hero of the tour this year. Well done. Unbelievable effort and great performance for him.

Go Lance! He's unbeatable by the other riders this year, at least partly because he has assembled a team that works great together.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-race TdF poll... [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Lance will win, but Basso looks fantastic and there is always a chance that Lance could crack. No one can outrun time--not even Lance. Although, I think it is very unlikely that Lance will crack, his ability to recover may be different from his previous years given the fact that all the really hard stages are in the last 10 stages verses split 40/60 and seperated by a couple of days. It also to early to discount Ullrich, but I think it is near impossible for him to find the find the form to dethrone Armstrong or Basso on the podium, but never say never. My prediction if Jan performs well on Alpe d'Huez 1) Armstrong 2) Basso 3) Ullrich. I don't think Kloeden has the capacity to keep Jan off the podium if Jan does a decent MTT.
Quote Reply