Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Michigan Titanium 140.6 - Thoughts? Opinions??
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'm a n00b. Hi.

Has anyone here done MITI?

I'm thinking about signing up for the 140.6 distance in 2017. I've done 4 IMs, but they were all WTC events. I've read a few MITI reviews, and most of them seem quite favorable. Looks like people really like the organization, the volunteers, and their overall experience.

A few questions:

1) What are the roads like? I read on some reviews that some people didn't like a few sections of the bike leg, but they didn't specify why. I read somewhere that someone said, "typical MI roads", but I don't know what that means. I've never been to MI.

2) What's the elevation on the bike course? I found a map on the website, but it doesn't give any numbers on ascent/descent. I'd prefer flat, but I can handle some hills, NBD.

3) What's it like during the later hours on the run? Does it get dark and lonely, or are there still plenty of spectators and volunteers out there to keep you going? My IM PR is 13:35, my IM PW is 15:46, so I'll be out there late. My Garmin tends to die on me during the run, and then I slip into panic mode thinking that I'm all out of time and they'll be tearing down the finish line by the time I get there. The crowds and volunteers usually help me during this psychotic stage of the race.

After finishing IM Boulder in August, I'd really prefer an event that is flat and at sea level for next year. I was planning on doing IM NC, but with the "TBD" date, the "Coming Soon" registration, and no response on FB from any RDs, I'm starting to suspect that it won't happen (it's been my personal experience in the past that when races have those key words on the site for a while, it usually ends up being a canceled event). I wouldn't mind giving a smaller, local race a shot. After all, I prefer small, local marathons over the big-city, 30,000+ people marathons. As long as I can safely get my bike transported there (I've always used Tri-Bike Transport, but will have to go another route if I do MITI), I'll seriously consider giving this a try!

Any thoughts or opinions on this event from those of you who have done it????
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan Titanium 140.6 - Thoughts? Opinions?? [50StateGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done it 3 times (and the aquabike once) and live 15 minutes from the race site and have volunteered at the race so I am a bit biased.

1) The bike course has changed slightly each year due to last minute road construction. This past year's course was my favorite of all of them mainly because the out and back-ish nature of it let you see more people on the road. With a big look like previous years it can get a bit lonely. The out and back also allows for doubled up aid stations so they had aid stations about every 10-12 miles. The road quality is decent. What races have you done? I'd say the roads are similar to Ironman Wisconsin if you have done that course. A lot of roads are worn down chip seal - so smooth but not asphalt smooth.

2) I got about 4000' total climbing. It is basically all little rollers. There is one or two decent climbs on each loop but they are pretty easy to just spin up. FWIW - I PR-ed both the bike leg and and the IM distance at this race this past year taking over 30min off my previous best time.

3) It does get pretty dark and lonely during the later hours on the run course. They addressed this a bit by making the run course a 4 loop course. This lets you see more athlete, spectators, volunteers, etc. on the course. The race organization does do an amazing job of providing a great finish line experience though. Still, it doesn't compare to a WTC race.

--------------------------
IMWI 2011 - check - 11:54
IMMT 2012 - check - 10:49
Michigan Titanium 2013 - 11:50
http://www.ironmanbythirty.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan Titanium 140.6 - Thoughts? Opinions?? [50StateGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live a few miles from the course and ride it regularly. I just did Louisville as my first IM and MiTi seems almost flat compared to that. The roads are worn down chipseal and the constant rattling can get old, but it's not too bad.

In regards to the run course, the new four loop course works great but with pretty much any non-wtc race it's going to get lonely out there once it gets dark.

As I said, Louisville was my first and I'm glad I got the whole WTC experience. If you're looking for an alternative race in the Midwest I highly recommend MiTi. Volunteers and race organizers are fantasic and Grand Rapids is a great place to hang out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should put an im in Ann arbor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didnt know about this one and was actually looking at something else for a full distance next year since I dont think I will be able to get into AZ like I wanted to. A race at 1/2 the price and closer might fit the bill.

I was thinking about the Cedar Point Tri, but it isnt posted yet, so I dont know if they are still going to put it on or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan Titanium 140.6 - Thoughts? Opinions?? [140.6sj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140.6sj wrote:
Didnt know about this one and was actually looking at something else for a full distance next year since I dont think I will be able to get into AZ like I wanted to. A race at 1/2 the price and closer might fit the bill.

I was thinking about the Cedar Point Tri, but it isnt posted yet, so I dont know if they are still going to put it on or not.

Cedar Point is cancelled. There is a thread about it here somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan Titanium 140.6 - Thoughts? Opinions?? [140.6sj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140.6sj wrote:

Since Cedar point is a no go next year MiTi will be my late season race. Barring any veto from the wife. Looks like there is lots of cool stuff for the kids to do around that area which is critical for getting the buy-in from the wife and kids.
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan Titanium 140.6 - Thoughts? Opinions?? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, everyone! Your info is definitely helpful! I'm not a fan of chipseal, but I suppose better tires can help with the rattling and bumpiness. I've done IMAZ twice, IMTX, and IM Boulder. Not sure how the course compares to any of those, but if I survived IM Boulder, I'm sure I can make it through MITI.

I do like the cheaper entry fee, and I'm hoping that fewer people will make for a better swim. Swimming is my weak spot, and I think it's mainly because of all the contact (I hate strangers touching me!). It might make for a lonely run, but I guess that's the trade-off.

If I can get good bike transport, I think I'll go for it. TriBike Transport is the only way I've ever transported a bike, and I know they don't do this event. And driving isn't an option (I live in AZ).

Thanks again for the info! Any other thoughts and opinions are still welcome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50StateGeek wrote:
Thanks, everyone! Your info is definitely helpful! I'm not a fan of chipseal, but I suppose better tires can help with the rattling and bumpiness. I've done IMAZ twice, IMTX, and IM Boulder. Not sure how the course compares to any of those, but if I survived IM Boulder, I'm sure I can make it through MITI.

I do like the cheaper entry fee, and I'm hoping that fewer people will make for a better swim. Swimming is my weak spot, and I think it's mainly because of all the contact (I hate strangers touching me!). It might make for a lonely run, but I guess that's the trade-off.

If I can get good bike transport, I think I'll go for it. TriBike Transport is the only way I've ever transported a bike, and I know they don't do this event. And driving isn't an option (I live in AZ).

Thanks again for the info! Any other thoughts and opinions are still welcome!

this was the contact for bike transportation for the 2016 race:
WM Bike & Fitness
2830 East Paris
Kentwood, MI 49512
616-942-1880
www.westmichiganbike.com

I hope this works for you. I hope to support this race with an entry fee in the next week or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did MiTi as my first (and so far only) iron distance race its inaugural year in close to 14 hours and I loved it! Being a smaller race they work really hard to give you the best experience possible, not just get a ton of people to sign up and skimp out on things to help their bottom line.

As for the roads, they are typical chip seal stuff that has been worn down. There were a few pot holes that the organizers marked, but if you keep your eyes on the road you'll be fine. But that was when it was a one loop course, them changing to two may have cut out the potholes. Overall I'd say the roads were better condition than most of the Michigan roads you'd ride on.

Elevation is around 4000 feet in two loops from what I've heard. You'll get most of that over the first 10 miles of each loop, followed by some light rollers, and on the way back it's more downhill so you can coast a little bit and get your legs ready for the run.

The later hours didn't feel lonely at all to me, but I was struggling so I didn't really know what was going on all that well. They handed out the glow necklaces when it got dark, and the aid stations had plenty of volunteers and nutrition. I can't speak highly enough of the volunteers, they really helped me get through that race. There weren't a ton of spectators in the later hours on most of the run course, but the last mile along the busy road was still lined up with people when I was finishing. Now that there are four loops and a few years have passed for it to become more well known lack of spectators shouldn't be an issue.

The year I did it apparently it got up to 95F with close to 80% humidity, so brace yourself for that possibility. I was suffering from some serious heat exhaustion/dehydration, but they kept a close eye on me and made sure I got nutrition in. And when it looked like I wasn't going to die they would drive ahead in their golf cart and warn the aid stations I was coming to get stuff ready. After I finished they gave me two IV bags and brought me pizza. So I can attest to their fantastic medical attention as well! That was all my fault though, I jumped from a sprint to a full and underestimated how important nutrition is. I plan on going back in 2018 for redemption, but unfortunately 70.3 worlds is a little close to MiTi for me to go.

Fourth year Elite.
- AP Racing Team
- Dimond Bikes
- Strava
- Insta
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the half almost twice (got pulled at mile 53 on the bike last year due to lightning). It's really a great race. The swim is in a quiet, man-made lake, the bike course is pretty flat (I am a terrible cyclist and even I could handle all the hills), the run is/was through neighborhoods. It was hot in 2014 and the sun sucked, but lots of homeowners left sprinklers or hoses out. The swag is great, the volunteers are great, their shuttle was convenient. I have nothing but good things to say and will probably do it again.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply