Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mexican cyclist suspended 18 months by UCI for whereabouts failure
Quote | Reply
Mexican cyclist Gerardo Ulloa has been suspended for 18 months for "Whereabouts failure" based on this release by the UCI. He will miss out the Paris Olympics and the Panamerican games.

UCI Sanction List

And you can find a news article here and here.

In his IG post (in spanish) he says that he failed to notify WADA that he changed residences (meaning his home address) and he was suspended for that. But the way I understand the WADA procedure, this is a bit more complex than that, where not only do you have to provide your home address but also you have to constantly update your location; traveling for competition, training camps, etc.

And the WADA procedure says that you have 3 strikes in a period of 12 months, so surely he was notified after each one of those two initial strikes, in which you have a chance to make sure your data in the system is correct.

Is this really a matter of being forgetful? Can someone with more expertise in this matter explain the timeline (12 months) on how one arrives on a suspension like this? Because to me it just seems that he was intentionally hiding from out of competition testing.
Last edited by: TulkasTri: Oct 18, 23 21:36
Quote Reply
Re: Mexican cyclist suspended 18 months by UCI for whereabouts failure [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
Mexican cyclist Gerardo Ulloa has been suspended for 18 months for "Whereabouts failure" based on this release by the UCI. He will miss out the Paris Olympics and the Panamerican games.

UCI Sanction List

And you can find a news article here and here.

In his IG post (in spanish) he says that he failed to notify WADA that he changed residences (meaning his home address) and he was suspended for that. But the way I understand the WADA procedure, this is a bit more complex than that, where not only do you have to provide your home address but also you have to constantly update your location; traveling for competition, training camps, etc.

And the WADA procedure says that you have 3 strikes in a period of 12 months, so surely he was notified after each one of those two initial strikes, in which you have a chance to make sure your data in the system is correct.

Is this really a matter of being forgetful? Can someone with more expertise in this matter explain the timeline (12 months) on how one arrives on a suspension like this? Because to me it just seems that he was intentionally hiding from out of competition testing.

To me there are 2 options:
1) you are playing with fire and don't want to be tested
2) you are a dickhead and a bad professional

Sorry if my english is pretty bad, I am not english native
Quote Reply
Re: Mexican cyclist suspended 18 months by UCI for whereabouts failure [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like the names of everyone who misses 1 or 2 tests. Can't think of good reasons why someone is missing a test in 2023.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He forgot 3x ?

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Mexican cyclist suspended 18 months by UCI for whereabouts failure [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
I would like the names of everyone who misses 1 or 2 tests. Can't think of good reasons why someone is missing a test in 2023.

While I get your point, sometimes an athletes misses a test because it can be inconvenient and sometimes you want to be left alone. These are human beings.
Quote Reply
Re: Mexican cyclist suspended 18 months by UCI for whereabouts failure [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:

For a whiz quiz: if you cannot produce enough urine that's above a specific gravity thresshold within the testing window it's considered a missed test.

I almost missed a test because I went to Home Depot and forgot to update my location.
When I got home the test crew had been kind enough to wait (because it was still w/in the test window).
Had I been 20' later—like if I had been stuck in traffic—it would have been a missed test.

But 3x missed tests in 12 mos is way sketchy...

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Oct 19, 23 7:17
Quote Reply
Re: Mexican cyclist suspended 18 months by UCI for whereabouts failure [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
He forgot 3x ?

In his post he doesn’t say he forgot three, he only says he forgot to notified WADA that his home address had changed.
Quote Reply
Re: Mexican cyclist suspended 18 months by UCI for whereabouts failure [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
He forgot 3x ?

I am wondering the same thing. It is not clear from his IG post. The folks that are crucifying the guy in the comments are asking the same question. And I agree, missing one due to an address change is one thing, but missing three is quite suspect.
Quote Reply
Re: Mexican cyclist suspended 18 months by UCI for whereabouts failure [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's just game theory.

Punishment for 3 missed tests is 18 months, hide out for the first two if you're hot, hope the third doesn't follow too quickly.

The other option is to take the test knowing you're on something and get 4yrs unless they somehow miss it.
Quote Reply
Re: Mexican cyclist suspended 18 months by UCI for whereabouts failure [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect UCI/WADA sees a missed test as a huge red flag, and the athlete it is probably targeted for more controls. So progressively worst odds each missed test.

Despite Ulloa being just a semi-pro level cyclist, it is never good news for Mexican cycling as they haven't had a cyclist in the headlines since Perez Cuapio in the 2000s.

Recent Tour de L'Avenir winner Isaac de Toro seems like the real deal. UAE just signed him. Hopefully he can stay out of trouble.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's no way anybody is getting a 18-months ban if (s)he simply misses 3 tests out of many more in a given time. Standard practise has been to hand out 3-12-months bans if somebody collected 3 strikes, but has been collaborative and had multiple other negative tests.

My guess is, that the subject must've been intentionally avoiding the testing, and since the WADA couldn't prove him positive, he received a pretty strong punishment.
Quote Reply
Re: Mexican cyclist suspended 18 months by UCI for whereabouts failure [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:
There's no way anybody is getting a 18-months ban if (s)he simply misses 3 tests out of many more in a given time. Standard practise has been to hand out 3-12-months bans if somebody collected 3 strikes, but has been collaborative and had multiple other negative tests.
My guess is, that the subject must've been intentionally avoiding the testing, and since the WADA couldn't prove him positive, he received a pretty strong punishment.

In one of his posts he says that he was tested 5 times IN COMPETITION, and they were all negative. He then uses again the reason being "I forgot to tell WADA I moved houses".

Everything seems pretty suspect but to me especially is that reason he gives "I forgot to update my address". There's a few videos from WADA on YouTube explaining how the ADAMS system works, and it looks like they are part of some kind of training for athletes on how to use this system and it's pretty complex. The amount of information you have to provide is enormous: travel, training, camps, racing, etc.

So he is basically saying that all his whereabouts where correct except his home address, and all three times WADA attempted to test him where at his old house, and he was notified of this, and in 12 months he couldn't bother to go into ADAMS and update that address?
Quote Reply
Re: Mexican cyclist suspended 18 months by UCI for whereabouts failure [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
I suspect UCI/WADA sees a missed test as a huge red flag, and the athlete it is probably targeted for more controls. So progressively worst odds each missed test. .

This is probably true, although I do wonder how much bureaucracy and location come into it. Like a cyclist living in Monaco or Andorra where there's hundreds of pros on every block probably gets tested all the time just out of convenience. What about one spending his winter in rural North Dakota? Yeah he may miss one test, but now the tester has to fly out there two more times. In the 2 days for each test spent in ND they could have gotten 20 tests done in a bigger cycling hub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 The amount of information you have to provide is enormous

--------

It is but that's why forgetting to update his address makes no sense. Your "home" address is basic information that is required, so "forgetting" to update makes no sense. A bigger mix up would be you changed address of training camp due to some last minute issue and they go to the wrong location. But the home address, that's failing the IQ part of this.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Mexican cyclist suspended 18 months by UCI for whereabouts failure [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:

Like a cyclist living in Monaco or Andorra where there's hundreds of pros on every block probably gets tested all the time just out of convenience.

I don't know about Monaco, but there is some speculation about Tenerife and to a lesser extent mountain camps like Andorra and Mallorca that the known mountain roads and small, regional airports involved make it really easy to spot the incoming testers and give advance warning so micro-dosers can clear before they arrive. I believe the testers generally come from major metropolitan areas, e.g. Andorra has no resident population of certified techs.

I don't know if it's true. Just internet chatter that I'm dubiously relaying.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 19, 23 11:44
Quote Reply
Re: Mexican cyclist suspended 18 months by UCI for whereabouts failure [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think that would likely lead more to "missed" tests as it really would depend on the time of day they arrive. 10am flight means someone is getting tested by 4pm that day. Evening flight arrival means athletes will be tested the next morning. So I think it would be hard to somehow speed up the "clearing" process, so I would imagine this knowing when they arrive would lead more to people missing tests. I mean I guess if we are getting specific if the island only has X flights (small regional airport would quailify), then you can backtrack the time to know when you'll be clean and won't even really need to "know" when or if they are on the island.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Mexican cyclist suspended 18 months by UCI for whereabouts failure [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. You sign up for this “inconvenience” and it’s your job.
Quote Reply
Re: Mexican cyclist suspended 18 months by UCI for whereabouts failure [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Nope. You sign up for this “inconvenience” and it’s your job.

It’s your job to not violate the whereabouts rule 3 times in a 12 month window. It’s none of your business how anyone chooses to use their two strikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Mexican cyclist suspended 18 months by UCI for whereabouts failure [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
mathematics wrote:

Like a cyclist living in Monaco or Andorra where there's hundreds of pros on every block probably gets tested all the time just out of convenience.

I don't know about Monaco, but there is some speculation about Tenerife and to a lesser extent mountain camps like Andorra and Mallorca that the known mountain roads and small, regional airports involved make it really easy to spot the incoming testers and give advance warning so micro-dosers can clear before they arrive. I believe the testers generally come from major metropolitan areas, e.g. Andorra has no resident population of certified techs.

I don't know if it's true. Just internet chatter that I'm dubiously relaying.

Ohhhh that is some juicy details. I'm imagining a team intern just chilling at the airport all day ready to red alert the team. If it's true you could really mess with other teams by crying wolf. I have a feeling the teams see Wada as a common enemy though.
Quote Reply
Re: Mexican cyclist suspended 18 months by UCI for whereabouts failure [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
It’s none of your business how anyone chooses to use their two strikes.

If I was a coach who had an athlete who considered casually forgoing ADAMS updates as if the first two were "discretionary," I'd sit that athlete down for a "re-calibration," maybe starting honestly asking them if they'd like to consider another life path than elite athlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The real world application is that with how often these athletes are racing. and traveling, forgetting to update whereabouts or you aren't at your destination yet because your flight was delayed- you are playing with real fire for you to "intentional" miss a test because you just couldn't be bothered. Now if you intentional miss a test because you know you are glowing and that's the runaround to not getting tested with a simple missed test tax; then an cheating athlete would be ok with that. That's "gaming" the system imo, but the reasons you mention imo wouldn't be a good long term strategy with as many real world complications that can actually come up.

And again the whereabouts is only for certain level of athletes, not every athlete has to update their daily life story; only the world class selected athletes.

Obviously if you are knowingly cheating you’ll max out your missed tests especially if you think you are glowing each time and so what if you missed the 3rd test legitimately, you’ll likely reason the “chance” is worth it based on shorter penalty.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 19, 23 13:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

If I was a coach who had an athlete who considered casually forgoing ADAMS updates as if the first two were "discretionary," I'd sit that athlete down for a "re-calibration," maybe starting honestly asking them if they'd like to consider another life path than elite athlete.

Where did I imply an athlete should casually miss a test?

An athlete should be vigilant about reporting whereabouts. But Life does happen. Which is why the 3 strikes rule exists.

The implication of the original post I replied to is that anyone who misses is suspect. I do not agree.

And I think most athletes have a miss every 1-2 years.
Last edited by: ajthomas: Oct 19, 23 13:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
trail wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

Where did I imply an athlete should casually miss a test?

An athlete should be vigilant about reporting whereabouts. But Life does happen. Which is why the 3 strikes rule exists.

The implication of the original post I replied to is that anyone who misses is suspect. I do not agree.

And I think most athletes have a miss every 1-2 years.

I agree, there are legitimate reasons why one could miss one of these random tests, a lot of them. But I also agree that using your "two strikes" other than for those legitimate reasons is playing with fire.

If what he says is true, he received his first strike and didn't really bother to do anything. He then received his second strike and he still didn't bother. And finally here we are, he basically is saying he couldn't be bothered to comply and missed out on the Olympics for it.

So he's either a moron, or he was glowing.
Last edited by: TulkasTri: Oct 19, 23 14:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mallorca has an international airport .

Andorra doesn't have an airport. Though there's a small one nearby in Spanish territory.

Either way, how do you spot the testers?
Quote Reply