Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Metatarsal pain ball of foot
Quote | Reply
Started to develop pain in the ball of my right foot as my distance is increasing, I was able to run through it yesterday for a 12.25 mile run, but I certainly don't want to make it worse. Just walking today is painful.
A little research and I can now see I have very obvious "hammer toes", but really this is something I have always had.
The pain spot is pretty local, not across the complete ball of the foot, just right underneath the 2nd & 3rd toes. I run in the Hoka Clifton's with a custom foot bed (shoe dog) that are not yet a year old.
Running and training has been going great and this just started in the past week. Been doing stretches to foot and calf, using a lacrosse ball on bottom of foot, (delicately on pain spot)
Any experience with this and how to self treat?
Thanks

==================
Cervelo P3 / Flo 60/90
RTA Nation
Quote Reply
Re: Metatarsal pain ball of foot [boomer2it] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no doctor. Former runner, recently switched to triathlons. I self diagnosed that condition as Morton's Neuroma. I seem to have all the symptoms. For me, I switched to wider shoes for running. Specifically Altra Zero Drop shoes. I have incorporated walking into my long races and most all training runs . Long races being HM or Marys. I'm not fast, but I'm old, so I don't notice much race result difference since I've added walking to my runs. The supposition is that one runs faster during the running portion as a result of the rest from the walking segments, (typically 30 seconds) making the entire race faster. FYI my marathon times are 4:40 or so. HM just over 2 hours. No foot pain now. 68 years of age. Good luck, hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your metatarsalgia is most likely sub 2nd MPJ capsulitis or plantar plate issue then a Morton's neuroma.

You are in a good shoe to help prevent, but running long distance with "hammertoes" can be a ticking time bomb.

Re: Metatarsal pain ball of foot [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What happens when the bomb goes off? How do you know when that will happen? How can we prevent that from happening?

I've been running through "soreness" in the metatarsals of my left foot. The symptoms generally flare up on longer runs and subside immediately when I stop running. A wider toe box* helps a lot, and the softer surface of the treadmill seems to mitigate the symptoms.

* Asics GT 2000-2 are problematic, Saucony Guide 7 are better and NB 880 v4 the best.

Just tell me if I am also a ticking time bomb and I will go see my Ortho.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had similar pain that turned out to be bone bruising in the metatarsals. Thankfully it was just that... the doc who assessed it thought it might be fractured. I stopped running for 3 months (it was at the end of the season anyway) and started back very, very slowly. Knock on wood, so far so good this year. I'm running shorter distances, more frequently, to try to stay injury-free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't ignore this one. There are several ways to mitigate; here are just a few:

Stiffer shoes (or semi rigid orthoses) to decrease metatarsal break or reduce stress of break (less is extension of toes as you load and push-off the ball of the foot)
- You have a pretty good shoe for this; but a Saucony mirage would be a good example as well (stay away form minimalist shoes)
- Do not forget about work/dress shoe, they matter and often soles on dress shoes are very compliant (think and test for thick rigid soles)

Transverse Arch support
- Attempt to redistribute the pressures across the metatarsal heads

Inverted Orthoses
- Essentially trying to build up under the big toe where pressure is better managed and provides relief to lesser met-heads
- Watch drop outs or cutouts down by many orthotist to provide pressure relief as they can provide over time a path for further downward migration of met-head

Get Evaluated
- Your mechanics of rear and midfoot could play a role and there may be other options to assist in changing path of force (pressure) as you run

Here is a nice OTC orthoses with a nice transverse arch support; it also come with option rear post (L405 or L425). A good practitioner could also alter for better forefoot distribution with medial wedging or an extension under big toe (1st met-head).

http://www.aetrex.com/men-lynco-sports/

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
curious if you are older? This happened to me ~50. Now i'm pain free using metatarsal pads in ALL shoes (yes, even cycling) and switched to low/no drop running shoes with lots of forefoot padding (altra, brooks pure flow, asics lyte). also run on softer surfaces whenever possible

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Re: Metatarsal pain ball of foot [rdmyers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies,
yes I am older turn 51 in a couple weeks. My heavy work boots seem to be what originally aggravated the foot, and the running keeps it from healing completely.
Currently training for IMLP, with Quassy Oly, and Syracuse HIM coming up. Been stretching the 2nd (longest) toe and icing at night, with an aleve here and there. This seems to be helping, was actually able to apply pressure and really massage the ball of foot today.
Are you able to use metatarsal pads with your custom foot beds or will that take up to much room?

==================
Cervelo P3 / Flo 60/90
RTA Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have custom inserts, but I have them in 8 different pairs of shoes now and no fit problems. They're pretty tight in my road bike shoes but work just fine. I wouldn't be able to run without them

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some more friendly advice for this one, stretching, icing and aleve, will not address the problem; at this point it is physics pure and simple. Reducing the symptoms is understandable, but masking the pain and continuing to run will likely lead to a bigger problem. Despite what you may read and what some providers may say; stretching will not likely change anything despite a logical rationale for why it would; the tissues will not accommodate. Let is why my post has suggestions to change the mechanical load on the lesser (especially 2&3) met-heads.

The surgeries for addressing chronic lesser metatarsal overload, hammertoe, or a partially torn plantar plate are no fun for anyone and especially not for distance runners...rroof can support this statement.

The Lyncos will fit in all your shoes, but is a just a start and not a direct solution.

The alignment and joint integrity of you 2 and 3rd toes; any drift to the side; big toe alignment joint function (straight or angled outward to 2 toe); callus under smaller toes; an xray.... among several other things should be accessed by a skilled clinician; select one with expertise with athletes: podiatrist, C-Ped, orthopedic surgeon (foot and ankle)...

I assume you are going into a heavy phase of your training and need to get in front of this one.

Good Luck!

Edit: Forgot to add, look into moving your cleat reward on bike shoe (if speedplay you can get extender plates)
Last edited by: ktm520: May 13, 15 6:37
Quote Reply
Re: Metatarsal pain ball of foot [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can attest to rroof's ticking time bomb comment. I have had 2 surgeries, 4 scars and 7 screws in the first 3 metatarsals of my right foot. It all stems from a torn plantar plate under my 2nd metatarsal. Everything is fine now, but it's been a bit of a long road.

First thing - get a metatarsal pad.

https://www.hapad.com/products/forefoot-corrections/metatarsal-pads.

That will help alleviate the pressure under the met head, and my resolve the symptoms in the long term.

Tony

Last edited by: tkocanda: May 13, 15 8:15
Quote Reply
Re: Metatarsal pain ball of foot [rdmyers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My doc taught me how to pad my shoes and my ball of the foot pain went away. Ask your doc if this would help you! It will not get better by running on it and medication will just mask the issue. Be conservative and smart now and you will be able to have a strong end of season. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Metatarsal pain ball of foot [tkocanda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toen plantar plate after being treated with cortisone injections over a 3 year period for a Neuroma I did not have. .Apparengly the damage was related to the cortisone injections
I knew it was a band aid so(
I just had Hammer toe and plantar plate repair surgery Sept 2017. Results are about the same as pre -op. Stiffness innthe joint and still bothered by the ball of foot pain.Dr took out as much of the calcium deposit in that area but I still have issues walking. Barefoot on a hard surface. I have tried different insoles and pads, but to nail avail.
I hope the Altra shoes will work. We will see
Quote Reply