Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mechanix Gloves: A pretty darn good idea.
Quote | Reply
Mike O'Donnell here has been wearing a pair of Axo brand mechanic's gloves while he works on dirty drivetrains, greasy chains and handling chemicals, lube, pant, wax, etc.

I asked him, "Why the gloves?" He said, "Look at your hands..." Mine had red spray paint on them, lube residue and rubbing compound.

"That's why"

So we checked out these Mechanix brand gloves the NASCAR pit guys wear. They're cool. Lots of colors, good dexterity and grip, you can put your hand on hot stuff right of the grinder and they keep your hands clean. I did cut the finger tips off mine so I could type too and use the cash register.

If you work on dirty stuff, these are cool. They've become quite the fashion statement around here too. We were buying them on E-bay for $12 a pair + shipping.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanix Gloves: A pretty darn good idea. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me guess. You are selling gloves on Ebay. Where is your shame?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanix Gloves: A pretty darn good idea. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ummm. No. no gloves for sale. Sorry.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah right.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanix Gloves: A pretty darn good idea. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murray's Auto Supply too.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The blue latex mech. gloves, which I use to rebuild hydraulics, spray paint, do epoxy, silicone ,proseal . They are 10 -20 cents a pair ,they can be used 2-maybe 3 times. But those NASCAR mech, gloves are useless, for detail work / small parts.
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanix Gloves: A pretty darn good idea. [Helitech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's why you cut off the finger tips- for the small stuff, see:

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The gloves look nifty, but what do you do with the mechanix gloves when they become black with grease? throw them away?

I find also that I am able to maintain the best gloved dexterity using disposable vinyl gloves (clearish, blue color, etc.).

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanix Gloves: A pretty darn good idea. [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. good question. Mine are new. Haven't had that problem yet. Those latex gloves make us look like we're gonna put our fingers up someone's butt. Given my recent image problems, that's the last thing I need.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your are one funny guy.

And I'll try that line the next time I go through US Customs at the ol' aeroporto: " I have nothing to declare--really!--but those cute blue latex gloves you have on make you look like you're gonna put your fingers up someone's butt" !!

After they hear that, I am sure the Customs officers will only be too delighted to comply with my 'request'.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, great gloves. When I was a cop, I hardly every took mine off, Winter or Summer, Spring or Fall. Get in one fist fight without gloves, and you'll become a believer.

Never used them to work on bikes though. I guess they'd work okay for that too. ; )

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That's why you cut off the finger tips- for the small stuff, see:
So what's the use of the gloves then? I'm with the blue or latex disposable gloves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of the guys at my work use them and swear by them. Reduces the number of cuts to the hands too. On of the guys was sporting a bitchen pair the other day. It had a built in light in the index finger. I guess he was going for the super hero look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been wearing them since the late 90s

Great gloves.
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanix Gloves: A pretty darn good idea. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 Those colorful NASCAR gloves are for want-a-be's

2 Thin leather or latex blue is what most shops use.

3 Tom your safe with blue latex, UP THE BUTT gloves are white, clear or tan.

4 Soak those gloves in 5606 , tri-flow , ATF , see what happens.
Last edited by: Helitech: Dec 19, 04 13:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is feel on them? I like to wear gloves while I work because they help prevent my fingers from getting dry and cracking, but I find many gloves don't fit well or don't provide you with the necessary feel to do work requiring a moderate to high level of fine control.

Are they washable? How long do they last?

I almost bought a pair of the Sears gloves, but I tried them on and the fingertip feel was non-existent. That kind of turned me off of the idea. I use the cheap brown cloth gloves for painting and such, but I need something for the type of work you describe.

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply