Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Massage Guns - Hypervolt/Theragun/Knock-off
Quote | Reply
I'm currently looking at getting a massage gun or similar to aid recovery and wanted to see whether people have any recommendations.

I've looked at Hypervolt and Theragun but both are pretty expensive - are they worth the additional price over the generic Chinese knock-offs (example below)? I'm tempted to spend less and just get the below if they are decent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/...ology/dp/B07TWRZKM3/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/...p2060353.m1438.l2649
Last edited by: hjws: Oct 28, 19 9:58
Quote Reply
Re: Massage Guns - Hypervolt/Theragun/Knock-off [hjws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to make my own from a handheld jigsaw since I couldn't justify the $$ for HYpervolt/Theragun...before I was gifted a Hypervolt from a client and really enjoy it. Quiet,compact and powerful. Theragun is pretty loud in comparison.

The knock-off version appears exactly the same as Hypervolt. I suspect it might be coming from the same factory?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Tim Tam. Bought it used from the track coach. Handle is not nearly as nice as the Theragun but otherwise it works just fine. Holds a charge for months on end with no issues. The handle does not have that nice rubber coating on the outside. Only difference that I can discern.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also interested by these things and have noticed that Compex have released their massage gun (the Fixx 1.0). As I'm very happy with their electrostimulation device, I would probably consider their product in priority. Has anyone already tried it?

Sorry I realize this does not help to answer your initial question, but might be an option to consider.

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Orbital buffer for $30? Give this a read. It is an interesting perspective. I generally like what The Wire Cutter recommends.

https://thewirecutter.com/...-buffer-vs-theragun/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fwiw, I did a full comparison review, complete with decibel reading of the Theragun versus essentially the Tim-Tam Style devices and that review can be found here.

In short: I kept the Bivi and got rid of the Theragun.

Theragun was
- Quieter

Bivi was
- More powerful on higher settings
- Had more control of the power & speed
- Swappable battery with extra battery included
- Had an articulating head for better targeting
- Small weight advantage - I guess this could be a disadvantage too ;)
- Longer battery life
- and the biggie, was much cheaper at $145 shipped, here is an equivalent Amazon UK link to something similar.

Again, the swappable batteries and price were probably the biggest influencers for me. I actually wear the following Bluetooth 3M Worktunes Ear Muffs when I use it as part of my routine although I am often single - either device would still annoy some in the same house or room ;)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Oct 28, 19 10:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, if you can afford the Hypervolt, get it. I started out with an attachment for my cordless Dewalt jigsaw. That worked pretty good but its loud, like a jigsaw! No way you are getting away with watching TV or being around the family with that.
My friend bought the Theragun, which is very nice, and quieter than my dewalt set up, but it was by no means "sit down and watch a movie" quiet. I believe since they have released a newer version that is much quieter, but I cant attest to that.
After realizing how loud and annoying my jigsaw was getting, I broke down and got the Hypervolt. So nice and so quiet! It is not silent exactly, but you can be in the living room and actually have people around or the TV on and not have everyone annoyed with you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick did a review of a few of them on Tririg awhile ago. Doesn't have all of them but does address some shortcomings and advantages of them.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a knock-off hypervolt from amazon. love it. works great. I've also used a branded hypervolt, and can say the build quality is better, but I'd buy the knock-off if I had to do it all over again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there any way I can convert my 18v sawzall to one?
Quote Reply
Re: Massage Guns - Hypervolt/Theragun/Knock-off [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Nick did a review of a few of them on Tririg awhile ago. Doesn't have all of them but does address some shortcomings and advantages of them.

Well, I did that shootout, and then subsequently reviewed the Hypervolt ... which blew them all away. I still own a few of these things, but the Hypervolt is the only one that ever gets used. And it gets used pretty much every single day. DEFINITELY worth the price. I added the charging stand too, very handy.

--
TriRig.com
Last edited by: TriRig: Oct 28, 19 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: Massage Guns - Hypervolt/Theragun/Knock-off [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Orbital buffer for $30? Give this a read. It is an interesting perspective. I generally like what The Wire Cutter recommends.

https://thewirecutter.com/...-buffer-vs-theragun/

I recall TO using the orbital buffer for recovery in a video a few years ago in the pre-threagun days.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the Hypervolt from a local retailer vs. a "knock-off" specifically because I assumed the knock offs would have an issue and it would be difficult with repairs / refund etc.

I'm very happy with the Hypervolt, I use it while watching TV before bed. Its a nice way to unwind and end the day. I very much feel the difference in my legs. The first week or two it was almost painful to use and I felt more sore the day after. After that period I can now use much more force, do not get sore from use and my legs feel fresher and less sore during workouts.

With that said, I have not used any of the others and cannot offer a comparison.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Massage Guns - Hypervolt/Theragun/Knock-off [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Theragun G3 user here- really helps me knock out knots and sore legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone looked on the Wish app. It sells Chinese knock off stuff. You can get a Hypervolt knockoff for around $80. I’ve had mixed reviews with items purchased through the app. I’m more tempted to buy a knockoff on amazon, that way returns may be easier?? I tried the hypervolt at a run store this past weekend and loved it. Help my IT bands feel better in just a short time.
Quote Reply
Re: Massage Guns - Hypervolt/Theragun/Knock-off [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This should give you an idea of the effectiveness. All of the Theragun models have this same power. The $250 one is great.

http://www.youtube.com/EWYu3o64ZKY
Last edited by: sebemfo: Oct 30, 19 10:03
Quote Reply
Re: Massage Guns - Hypervolt/Theragun/Knock-off [Streetsnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've personally been eyeballing recently the Purewave CM7 handheld massage gun. It has decent reviews and is 1/2 the cost of the lowest cost model Theragun. But it isn't as durable as the Theragun since it is made for consumer use. But it seems worth a shot if you aren't willing to drop serious cash and want to try it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to feedback on this - I ended up buying one of the guns which look identical to the Hypervolt (link to eBay UK below). This came in at £40 which was slightly more expensive than others on Wish/AliExpress/eBay from China but this was located in the UK so I figured it was worth paying a bit more to get it quicker. It looks exactly the same as all of those which are available at a pretty broad range of prices from the above places.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Massage-Gun-Percussion-Massager-Muscle-Vibration-Relaxing-Therapy-Deep-Tissue-UK/273966095981

As far as I can tell, it is very very similar to the Hypervolt but without the branding. I’ve broken down a few initial comments below into the main areas that people seem interested in:
  • Vibration - 20 speeds and these seem pretty powerful at the top end. It gives a good massage and you can obviously tailor this using the heads / change in power.
  • Battery life - rated at 2 hours but I haven’t fully tested this claim. It lasts long enough to do everything I need to and then I can wack it back on charge.
  • Noise - it is nowhere near as noisy as I expected. I can sit in front of the TV with it on full power and still hear it although it would be annoying for someone sitting next to you (but feels pretty unavoidable).
  • Durability - it feels heavy and fairly well built. Given the price/background I am slightly concerned that it may not last for a long time but will feedback if it does fall apart/break.

If anyone has any questions then please fire away. Also happy to upload videos/photos if it would be useful for people?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hjws wrote:
I just wanted to feedback on this - I ended up buying one of the guns which look identical to the Hypervolt (link to eBay UK below). This came in at £40 which was slightly more expensive than others on Wish/AliExpress/eBay from China but this was located in the UK so I figured it was worth paying a bit more to get it quicker. It looks exactly the same as all of those which are available at a pretty broad range of prices from the above places.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Massage-Gun-Percussion-Massager-Muscle-Vibration-Relaxing-Therapy-Deep-Tissue-UK/273966095981

As far as I can tell, it is very very similar to the Hypervolt but without the branding. I’ve broken down a few initial comments below into the main areas that people seem interested in:
  • Vibration - 20 speeds and these seem pretty powerful at the top end. It gives a good massage and you can obviously tailor this using the heads / change in power.
  • Battery life - rated at 2 hours but I haven’t fully tested this claim. It lasts long enough to do everything I need to and then I can wack it back on charge.
  • Noise - it is nowhere near as noisy as I expected. I can sit in front of the TV with it on full power and still hear it although it would be annoying for someone sitting next to you (but feels pretty unavoidable).
  • Durability - it feels heavy and fairly well built. Given the price/background I am slightly concerned that it may not last for a long time but will feedback if it does fall apart/break.

If anyone has any questions then please fire away. Also happy to upload videos/photos if it would be useful for people?

Do you feel there's enough power to "dig in" a bit or does it tend to stall when there's force applied to the device? How about the weight of it? Would the noise be comparable to that of a Hypervolt?

Dominic Pollizzi

Quote Reply
Re: Massage Guns - Hypervolt/Theragun/Knock-off [zestypollizzi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like there’s more than enough power to get in deep, especially with the bullet head on. Using the ball/flat heads I can definitely feel the impact of it and don’t really get above 15 before it gets painful.

Weight is pretty heavy, around 850g (just shy of 2lbs). Definitely feels like there’s something to it when you’re handling it.

Noise wise - I just watched a couple of Youtube videos of the Hypervolt and it sounds like it makes a similar amount of noise. It’s definitely quieter than the TimTam I saw in one video.
Quote Reply