Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mashing or spinning on the final sprints
Quote | Reply
So I have been watching every stage religiously and I am wondering if during the final sprints the guys are mashing or spinning. I think they mash. I just don't see how they could possibly spin over at that speed. A couple of stages ago they said the final sprint was 45 mph.

Also, what are some speeds ST'ers have thrown up in a sprint?

My best that I can remember is around 30 mph for a pretty short burst. It feels like I am going blind during the effort. I really need to work on my power next year.

Ironmarc
Quote Reply
Re: Mashing or spinning on the final sprints [march66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to mash, no 2 ways about it. I have clocked a 48kph (30mph) at a crit finish and a 56kph (35mph) at a flying 200 track finish. And I'm just a little girl. 150m out from the crit finishm you click it up into the next gear (or two) and mash as hard as you can, going thru the tunnel of red pain and no vision until you are going to puke. Then you finish. And then you drink beer. :P

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Mashing or spinning on the final sprints [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
and mash as hard as you can, going thru the tunnel of red pain and no vision until you are going to puke. Then you finish. And then you drink beer. :P
Yes, yes, thats it. Right before the world goes black and you realize that I better slow down before I go down.

Ironmarc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spinning.

I'll let the techy guys give you the exact figure....but with a 53x11 at 45mph, it would be darn hard to be below 100 cadence!

That's the irony behind "Lance's cadence". Sure...his cadence is high, but he is ALSO using a high gear!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what a great feeling.

As per Smitty's reply, you know I have no idea what cadence I'd actually be pedalling at... it may well be high, but if you try and spin your way up, I find that you get dropped... you're going fast enough, the speed gradually increasing throughout the race, then all of a sudden, BAM you start hammering or you go to the back. The feeling of that hammering is not of spinning but of mashing. As a former masher turned spinner, it feels like my old pedal stroke. Of course, I may be completely wrong here, but that's my perception...

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Mashing or spinning on the final sprints [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think track and road sprinting are quite different. On the track it is all about a bizillion rpms. If I am lucky enough to make it to the end for a road sprint not totally shelled enough to be able to stand up, then it is like Andy the Pants says. Click into one big gear and mash till you smash. Even the good track sprinters tend to use a bigger gear on the road. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.
Quote Reply