Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Mark Renshaw DQ'd from TdF
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Renshaw DQ'd from TdF [fatbastard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crazy. But probably a good decision on the part of the race officials. They don't want to allow this sort of thing moving forward, and DQ-ing Renshaw sets a good precedent for this to be avoided in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was pretty aggressive! Anyone know the standards for illegality in a sprint? Are there rules somewhere or is it discretionary based on the perceived danger of the conduct?

I've seen heads come together before so am wondering if it was that or the line change to block Farrar that they particularly objected to.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Renshaw DQ'd from TdF [BenLeese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fantastic video on the rules of sprinting:

http://cyclocosm.com/...n-rules-group-sprin/

@kburnsgallagher
http://www.somerandomthursday.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moral of the story: throw the first punch. They always catch the guy who retaliates. Dean was absolutely trying to push Renshaw over to the barrier so that Cavendish would have been boxed in. But it was stupid for Renshaw to retaliate by boxing Farrar. Cav was gonna beat Farrar regardless. Why retaliate? Stupid from such a veteran...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Renshaw DQ'd from TdF [kaburns1214] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect - thanks a lot for posting.

Quote Reply
Re: Mark Renshaw DQ'd from TdF [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Renshaw should have thrown a front wheel at him instead. It will be yet another use for HED. Stingers

-------
HED. Cycling - Twitter @hedcycling - HED Wheel Selector iPhone App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pictures?

is this an intentional headbutting like something out of the ultimate fighting ring? or was this a sprint and wild head thrashing that made contact with his neighbor?

(i don't get cable)

Tim
Last edited by: twinracer2: Jul 15, 10 9:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might want to put a new title like - "TDF stage 11 spoiler" up.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Renshaw DQ'd from TdF [twinracer2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it was unmistakably intentional- no question-in fact other people in the room with me who don't know an ounce about racing were agast at this conduct
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Renshaw DQ'd from TdF [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Moral of the story: throw the first punch. They always catch the guy who retaliates. Dean was absolutely trying to push Renshaw over to the barrier so that Cavendish would have been boxed in. But it was stupid for Renshaw to retaliate by boxing Farrar. Cav was gonna beat Farrar regardless. Why retaliate? Stupid from such a veteran...

Exactly. I saw no problem with the headbutting because it was mutual back and forth.

But after that part Cav launched and then Renshaw moved way across the road to cut off Farrar from following him. That was the part that deserved some punishment. DQ'ing him would have been a slap on the wrist considering he doesn't care about his personal results.
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Renshaw DQ'd from TdF [Quel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Renshaw interview after St 11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-TJNg6rp8s

Seems like he suspected he may have been in trouble and was trying to downplay it. Looks like the race director had the last word though.

Still waiting on a video of the actual sprint to come online...
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Renshaw DQ'd from TdF [RobLindqu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Renshaw DQ'd from TdF [Quel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is against the rules to take your hands off the bar so when someone is trying to push you into the barricades you can't push them on the hip to keep them from doing so. The only option you have is your head :) I didn't see the replay but I don't see anything wrong with what happened. Also, leadout men always kick to the side to leave the middle open, did he know farrar was behind him? He may have maybe he was just getting out of the way? Where is the replay?

Here is my take on the replay: Renshaw didn't know Cav took off so early otherwise he wouldn't have kept sprinting. He looks over and sees cav has taken off so he moves over to get out of the way. Actually maybe it was intentional because farrar was pushing on his hip then he swung over. If the officials were fair they would pentalize farrar for taking his hands off the bars.

It can also be sean Dean was hooking Renshaw with his elbow so maybe dq him for pushing in but renshaw did let him go after and it didn't affect farrar's position overall. DQ is rediculous. I just saw the overhead, farrar couldn't keep up with cav at all his fault for getting back in behind renshaw.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Last edited by: msuguy512: Jul 15, 10 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Renshaw DQ'd from TdF [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dropping off for Cav is one thing, swerving left across the road is another. The aerial views were stunning. If Farrar was looking down, Renshaw would have taken his front wheel. Mad props to Farrar for avoiding Renshaw, and then coming back onto Jet's wheel for third. WOW. I feel bad for Renshaw, but ultimately I think it's good that the folks with power didn't overlook this.

Edit: Osht. DQ's from the entire Tour. I read DQ'd from the stage first. . . ouch.

Headbutting was legit IMO. He only started headbutting when Julian veered closer. However, Cav is way off the front before Renshaw decides to sweep left. He didn't need to move at all, except for the fact that Farrar was coming up on the left. . .
Last edited by: jdw: Jul 15, 10 10:20
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Renshaw DQ'd from TdF [jdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking down in the middle of a field sprint is something only mastered by cat 4's

Quote Reply
Re: Mark Renshaw DQ'd from TdF [jdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw this live/ replay and I seen this coming.... the head butts to the shoulder were funny though.....

I think Dean was in the wrong and initiated the contact between him and Renshaw. Renshaw was right for pushing back, but using your head looks more dramatic than an elbow or a shoulder.

And you're absolutely right, that move against Farrar by Renshaw was insanely stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still say that was a crazy DQ. If Barredo can hit the other cyclist with a wheel and actually start a fight to only get a small monetary fine and then this. Julian Dean even said it wasn't a big deal when Andreu tried to tickle more out of him. It is nonsense for Renshaw to get disqualified.
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Renshaw DQ'd from TdF [RobLindqu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Renshaw interview after St 11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-TJNg6rp8s

Seems like he suspected he may have been in trouble and was trying to downplay it. Looks like the race director had the last word though.

Still waiting on a video of the actual sprint to come online...

Here's the vid, skip to 4:15: http://www.sbnation.com/...ce-headbutt-stage-11

Coach TJ Tryon - Open Water Swim Clinics | Facebook | @tjtryon

Ask me about: T3 Multisport | Gu Energy | Torhans | Xterra Wetsuits (discount code) | Karbon Speed - discount code: COACHTJ | Uvex Helmets
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can clearly see Renshaw look left, realize Cav has gone up the inside and that any chance of a catch will come from there too. I'm not sure if he deliberately blocks Farrar or just moves over to close the lane but that's clearly his intention. He doesn't move over to "get out of the way" of Cav - Cav has yards on him by that point.

I'm less sure about the headbutting - looks bad but as you say Dean was crowding him

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heh. I guess I should have said, "if Farrar didn't have the reflexes of a cat. . ." That left by Renshaw was the recipe for another Cav/Haussler/Boonen crash.
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Renshaw DQ'd from TdF [BenLeese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While this may be. The overhead clearly shows farrar couldn't keep up with cav at all, that is why a huge gap opened up. Renshaw moving over did not affect his placing and he still left a 'little' room for farrar to come up. Maybe worth throwing out his result for this stage, but not for the whole tour. These directors obviously do not want an exciting tour. It is obvious all they want is a WWE style race with crashes and wheel throwing instead of real racing.

Quote Reply
Re: Mark Renshaw DQ'd from TdF [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean's line wasn't that bad. He did drift a little towards Renshaw, but not much and only after his bars passed Renshaw. He only shifted way over into Renshaw after the headbutt. Anyone whose raced a full contact crit knows that when someone pushes into you, you have to lean back onto them in order for everyone to stay upright. In other words, Renshaw literally pulled Dean into him with the headbutting. Then boxing Farrar in was pure BS.

If anything, it's Renshaw's fault for not putting his foot on the gas when Eisel pulled off. The fact that Dean was able to overtake him calls into question whether he really is the the so-called best in the business.
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Renshaw DQ'd from TdF [bikeskimb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean overtook him because dean took off way too early. Dean was also riding like a madman up the side of the pack to get up there.

Quote Reply

Prev Next