Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon Recovery Question
Quote | Reply
REALISTICALLY, how much time would i need to recover from a marathon?? i've been on the bike more than running lately but i did a 2:40 long run this past weekend on mountain trails so my endurance is decent. i ran a half marathon a few weeks ago, knowing i wan't in "race shape" due to basically no speedwork and went @ 1:19 on a hilly course. i can answer questions to any other variables you might be able to provide. thanks ya'll
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Recovery Question [ncrunner23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My opinion on recovery is just try to do what feels right. I try to "forget" that I did an IM or a marathon and try to exercise (albiet at a lower volume) as normal and really try to tune into my body. It seems some days I feel great and some days it is pretty evident that I did something significant days or weeks ago. I would say that I do take it easier, but don't I don't fall into the excuse trap that "I just did a xxxxx last week". I let my body determine what is best for me for a while and try to take the brain out of it. It works for me. When I find that the majority of my workouts are of good quality, then I will start to build again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a study back in 1991 at the University of Waterllo where I was tested before running a marathon to see what my leg strength was (voluntary and involuntary ... they shocked me). After the race I kept going back and it took 13 days before I could exert the same force. I ran 2:32 and had done only 3 runs longer than 10 miles so I wasn't "marathon ready" with my training so the effort may have contributed somewhat. I was only 25 years old then and probably recovered a little faster than I do now. I guess it all depends on how hard you plan on running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first marathon in December. Felt great after the race and even started exercising a few days later, but just felt "off". Took me amost a month to really get back on track. I also think part of it was mental- no big event planned, nothing to train toward. Interestingly, my muscles felt okay, but I felt fatigued ever time I worked out.
Quote Reply