Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Managing putting on goggles during race which has a rolling start into the water
Quote | Reply
So usually on a pre open water swim I dip my goggles in the water, wet my face with the water, then put the goggles on. I believe that the water helps with a good seal and that equalizing the temperature of the goggles and the face will help minimize fogging. However, during a rolling wave start for the swim, the goggles are already on your face while still on land. Is that the norm and does that not lead to issues? Do some simply take a few extra seconds as we approach the water to wet face/goggle and put it on after crossing the start mat? Any other thoughts or putting it on while dry is sufficient?
Last edited by: avikoren1: Sep 18, 23 16:03
Quote Reply
Re: Managing putting on goggles during race which has a rolling start into the water [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the fogging, baby shampoo and a q-tip. Rub the shampoo into the lenses with the w-tip(avoid putting your fingers in there, don’t want oils on the lenses). Lightly rinse them out, and you’ll be good to go for quite a few swims before needing to do it again.

Not sure I’ve ever heard about getting your face wet to get a better seal. Never had that problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Managing putting on goggles during race which has a rolling start into the water [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what is a w-tip?
Quote Reply
Re: Managing putting on goggles during race which has a rolling start into the water [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Putting the goggles on the same as I do before swimming in the pool

Place them on my face dry

Never been a problem

Maybe practice at the pool doing this?
Quote Reply
Re: Managing putting on goggles during race which has a rolling start into the water [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
For the fogging, baby shampoo and a q-tip. Rub the shampoo into the lenses with the w-tip(avoid putting your fingers in there, don’t want oils on the lenses). Lightly rinse them out, and you’ll be good to go for quite a few swims before needing to do it again.

Not sure I’ve ever heard about getting your face wet to get a better seal. Never had that problem.

Yep. I actually dilute my baby shampoo quite a bit (like 1:4 at least) in a small spray bottle, and spray it in the goggles, then mix around, then rinse. I find when it's too concentrated, my eyes get irritated and turn red - but there's really good antifogging when that occurs!

I use the same stuff on my sunglasses and aero helmet visor. Works almost perfectly. Dont buy the antifogs on Amazon - I've tried a few of them - they are all horrendously overpriced, and none of them work anywhere as well as this method with the baby shampoo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
So usually on a pre open water swim I dip my goggles in the water, wet my face with the water, then put the goggles on. I believe that the water helps with a good seal and that equalizing the temperature of the goggles and the face will help minimize fogging. However, during a rolling wave start for the swim, the goggles are already on your face while still on land. Is that the norm and does that not lead to issues? Do some simply take a few extra seconds as we approach the water to wet face/goggle and put it on after crossing the start mat? Any other thoughts or putting it on while dry is sufficient?

I carry a little bottle of water in a throw way bottle right up to the swim start, I wet my goggles and face with that and good to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never had a problem putting goggles on dry (do that at every pool workout and before getting in for pre-tri warmup swims).

If you feel that wet works better for you, consider a ziplock bag filled with water that you can use and toss in a trashcan near the swim start.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For swimrun races my routine is to put anti-fog spray in the googles before the start and let that sit in there for a few minutes before rinsing it out with water and putting the googles on as if I am about to swim. Then I put the goggles above my eyes on the cap and leave them there for the start and first run until I approach the water. At the water entry I pull them onto my eyes and start swimming. That works well for me and the goggles seem not to fog up over the course of the race. Of course, you can try this and other suggestions in training and see what works best for you.

My newsletter with endurance research:
https://dwrowland.substack.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Managing putting on goggles during race which has a rolling start into the water [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Upstaterun wrote:
avikoren1 wrote:

I carry a little bottle of water in a throw way bottle right up to the swim start, I wet my goggles and face with that and good to go.

This is what I do as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:

That's what I do with the shampoo.

But:
I wet my hair and my swim cap before putting on the swim cap, because otherwise my swim cap tends to slide off during the swim.
Mostly you get new swim caps, from which I wash the inside before the race with soap, to get rid of a possible slippery layer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My solution is to buy a new pair of goggles before an A race. The goggles I buy only seem to start fogging once they're "older" (ie using for more than a month or so).
Quote Reply
Re: Managing putting on goggles during race which has a rolling start into the water [TMR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. Or, have a pair which are for racing only. I use Arena Cobras which also only seem to fog once they get “older”, so are good for a season of racing, after which they become my training goggles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who spits in theirs.

For the record I think that's gross.
Quote Reply
Re: Managing putting on goggles during race which has a rolling start into the water [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apmoss wrote:

That method is time tested. You're supposed to rinse them out once you rub the spit around for a bit. I hope your friend does that........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Managing putting on goggles during race which has a rolling start into the water [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
apmoss wrote:

That method is time tested. You're supposed to rinse them out once you rub the spit around for a bit. I hope your friend does that........

That's my method! More lick than spit, rinse and put them on! For rolling starts where you can't get in the water before, I have water with me and use the last bit to rinse after the lick. That's always worked better for me than anit-fog/soap.
Quote Reply
Re: Managing putting on goggles during race which has a rolling start into the water [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Upstaterun wrote:
avikoren1 wrote:

I follow a similar routine. The day before the race I clean my goggles with an anti-fog spray product called "Spit". Then, I take a water bottle with me to the start. I put a small amount in my goggles and wet my face a few minutes before starting the swim. There's almost always a place to dispose of last-minute trash right before you hit the water. If the water temp is cold enough that it may shock me when I start the swim, I will fill the bottle with ice and dump it over my face/ head shortly before entering. It lessens that initial shock that can take my breath away.
Quote Reply
Re: Managing putting on goggles during race which has a rolling start into the water [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apmoss wrote:

I use the spit/lick as method of last resort.

Diluted baby shampoo pre-applied, followed by a quick water rinse works WAY better.

It's even preferred to let that diluted baby shampoo dry beforehand on your goggles so you dont' even have to worry about bringing a small bottle to the race start - just spray and spread (and rinse quickly) the night before, and once race day, a very quick final water dip of the goggles makes you ready to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The diluted baby shampoo method described by others works for me most of the time. But if I don't have time to do that, another method that works extremely well is to put a few drops of saline solution like Visine in each lense. Just enough to rinse around each lense and leave it in there. As I rotate my head to breath (or look for buoys) the visine gets swished around and keeps the lenses perfectly clear, without any eye irritation.
Quote Reply
Re: Managing putting on goggles during race which has a rolling start into the water [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
Upstaterun wrote:
avikoren1 wrote:
If the water temp is cold enough that it may shock me when I start the swim, I will fill the bottle with ice and dump it over my face/ head shortly before entering. It lessens that initial shock that can take my breath away.

Besides goggles the above is my other problem. If the water is somewhat cold and I dont get a chance to dip my head in and get used I cant get my breathing under control for at least 10 to 15 minutes. I am working on it by trying my practice OWS with walking in and starting to swim with out the comfort of dipping my head in and slowly getting used to it. However that couple with typical race anxiety, I rarely get off to a smooth swim start.
Quote Reply