Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

MY Calif 70.3 Race Report
Quote | Reply
Woke up at 6:15. Ate a banana and walked my dog for an hour. Traffic was lighter than I expected and I even found a parking spot, so I thought I was early. Thanks to some bad directions however, I got lost getting to the start, but did make it just in time.

The rest of the day was one long blur. I remember splashing in some water, hammering on my ‘87 Rockhopper Comp (complete with aero bars and luggage rack with pack), and running around for what seemed like all day. At one point I looked at my watch and it said only an hour had elapsed, and I was thinking it was going to be one long day. But my watch was off, and it was actually three hours.

Saw a lot of fast guys whiz by me, too fast to recognize. Weather was great, just right for shorts and t-shirt. I finished in 6 hours, exactly as planned, totally thrashed and needing a massage. Unfortunately, I don’t think they give massages to the volunteers, so I headed home to walk my dog again.

Congrats to all particpants!

_____
John
TCSD aid station sweeper

Quote Reply
Re: MY Calif 70.3 Race Report [tripoddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done :-)
Thank you for volunteering.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice! My wife and I woke up at 3:00 a.m. left South OC at 3:30, got in transition area at 4:45. Helped out there until everybody left T2 and then cheered everybody until about 2:20 p.m. after filling 2 large trash bags with rubbish at transition. Overall a great day, awesome athletes and awesome felllow volunteers. If you've raced before but have never volunteered, you need to do it to experience the "other side of the coin". It is very rewarding and a good way to give back to the sport.

Ben and Miwa
Quote Reply
Re: MY Calif 70.3 Race Report [OC Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea! Thanks to all of you guys!!! The volunteers rocked.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: MY Calif 70.3 Race Report [OC Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If you've raced before but have never volunteered, you need to do it to experience the "other side of the coin". It is very rewarding and a good way to give back to the sport
----------------------------------------------------------

Ben and Miwa

I agree, my wife and I also really enjoyed it.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John
Good story.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's hilarious! Nice race report!

Were you the one who rode up with the push broom? I think we chatted for a bit towards the end of the day near the Tri Club tent. I was the one decked out in the over the top diner garb with the bow tie and apron (fancy, eh?). It's always great to give back to the sport by volunteering, but I felt more exhausted after working at the aid station all day than I do after my workouts. I even have blisters on one hand from hauling water. :)

Jason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work, tripod. Now lets get some paint and paint some bumps, after you walk the tridog, of course.

Quote | Reply
Yeah, that was me. Hopefully I'll be racing next year or else I'm going to have to bring a leaf blower. :)

Quote Reply