Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

MTB single speed -- what gear
Quote | Reply
Well, since the forum is down-and-dirty today (and that's not inlcuding the 'I want your sex' thread) with MTB questions, I'd like to ask this one:

For a single-speed, what kinds of gearing do you use? I assume something medium in the front and medium in the back. I'm a mid-pack cyclist, what's a good place to start?

Please also consider this a 'bragging rights' forum question. I suppose if you're not interested in my hill of beans, you can post about how big your chain ring is. We all want your sex in this thread, too.

Cheers,

Andrew Moss

Quote | Reply
It seems most people I know who SS use a 2:1 or thereabouts. I am running 32 front/16 rear. I know a few guys that do 32/18 though. This is for MTBing btw....
Quote Reply
Re: MTB single speed -- what gear [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The generally accepted gear for SS mtn bike is usually a 2:1 ratio. If you have a 34T in the front, run a 17T in the back. Personally, I would buy a gear up and a gear down since they only cost like 5 bucks and find the one that suits you and your terrain the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marla won SSWC05 on a 32/18 ... it was hilly and technical ... sounds good to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is almost entirely dependent on what you'll be using the bike for.

A few questions you'll need to ask yourself before you pick a gear -

1) Will I change my crankset?
2) Where do I spend most of my time now?
3) Primarily for singletrack or for other uses (like commuting)?
4) How much pain can I handle, and how steep a hill can I climb standing?

I'm in DC, which is flat as hell. I can handle everything near me on a 38/16, which is a bit rougher than most people would use. If there was more singletrack near here, I'd probably try 34/16, but then I'd want a new crankset, as mine is terrible and cheap and I can't just change rings.

The guiding rule is 2:1, but with that said, if where you ride is more flat than hilly, bump it up a notch or two. If it's especially hilly or you like to climb at a fast cadence, try something like 32/18.

Best advice I've heard: put the bike in a gear you think you like before you ditch all your other gears. Go ride on it and don't touch the shifters. No matter what. Could you live with that gearing? Only you can answer that.
Quote Reply
Re: MTB single speed -- what gear [Alpern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh, what part of DC is "flat as hell"?

Like what you read here? Read more at Crosseyed and Painless or Duathlonblog.

"We used to run Bstone prototypes into 3-foot-high cement walls to see what it took to bend them. If that sounds like crazy-good fun, it wasn't. Everybody wanted to watch, nobody wanted to ride, so we took turns."
--Rivendell Reader 36
Quote Reply
Re: MTB single speed -- what gear [kemptonslim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps I should elaborate on my perspective -

I grew up in North Jersey, which is a fairly hilly place. I now make my permanent residence in a ski town in Colorado. It's not hilly there - it's mountainous.

DC is a lowland swamp, I have to say - there's a reason the British paid their diplomats hazard pay here for so many years. It used to be a malarial swamp. Now Georgetown gets to be "the Hilltop," and I'm telling you, it ain't much of a hill.

I stand by my "flat as hell" comments. You've got to go a few miles to find anything that qualifies as a hill in my book.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've lived in DC for 15 years, so I'm familiar with that part of its history. If you get away from the monumental core and downtown, there's not much that has less than a 2 percent grade to it.

I use a 63-inch gear on the fixie that I use for a commute from Silver Spring to Bethesda because it's all up or down.

If it's all hills, it doesn't matter how tall the hills are--it's still hilly.

Like what you read here? Read more at Crosseyed and Painless or Duathlonblog.

"We used to run Bstone prototypes into 3-foot-high cement walls to see what it took to bend them. If that sounds like crazy-good fun, it wasn't. Everybody wanted to watch, nobody wanted to ride, so we took turns."
--Rivendell Reader 36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live and ride in Utah - I'd bet that our riding terrain is similar. 32 x 18 is a good place to start. It's a little lower than 2:1, but 2:1 would kill you in these parts.
Quote Reply