Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

MOdular headsets: not the same shite that Integrated Headsets are
Quote | Reply
You can replace the cup that's in the frame. I can go with that.
Quote Reply
Re: MOdular headsets: not the same shite that Integrated Headsets are [KING bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doug... deep breaths... deep breaths...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: MOdular headsets: not the same shite that Integrated Headsets are [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a LOT calmer. I played with my baby Boo Boo, a.k.a. Trixie. She's daddies little girl.
Quote Reply
Re: MOdular headsets: not the same shite that Integrated Headsets are [KING bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shite???? the man must be part Irish.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the "King" moniker have anything to do with Chris King hating IHS so much! My Ti QR bike has an IHS but also has a lifetime warranty so I don't sweat it. I have more serious problems to worry about (like actually being able to run most of an IM marathon!)
Mike
Quote Reply
Re: MOdular headsets: not the same shite that Integrated Headsets are [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am King's worst customer, as I have bought two headsets and have had many other bikes.

Lifetime warranty takes out the scare factor for me. It could also be that the QR ti bike has a modular headset.

The whole thing for me is that you should NEVER have to worry about your bike, and whether or not you can run your marathon. Good designs are like that- worry free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, do Cervelos (at least the P2 or P3) have integrated or modular headsets? They come with Cane Creek IS-2's.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: MOdular headsets: not the same shite that Integrated Headsets are [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have to look at the IS-2, and will give my answer. Or, Gerard could tell you the answer to that question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait a minute, you are raving about these headsets, and you don't even seem to know the difference? This concerns me.

Can you at least describe the difference between integrated or 'modular' headsets??

Quote Reply
Re: MOdular headsets: not the same shite that Integrated Headsets are [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Integrated mills the headtube for the bearing to sit in (unless it is the case of a carbon fibre headtube done in this manner, which then the cup is "moulded"). A modular (as one company called it) has the "cups" pressed into the headtube (rather than on top), where they would actually be removable/replaceable. The headtube is milled for this insert.

I am uncertain which Cervelo uses, which is what I thought you were asking. G would be the guy to ask.

I admit I don't know model names and numbers (except for Perdido, King's "modular" unit), so please forgive me if I did not know if the headset model name escaped me.

I only know one headset: Chris King.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The IS-2 uses 2 sealed bearings. The balls are all in sealed races. Each race consists of a sealed unit that is enclosed by 2 'conical' stainless steel "cups" (the balls and grease are inside, between the cups). These 'cups' of the sealed unit can be placed in the frame "millings" by hand, and removed by hand. So, it appears that the cups are removable.

So is this 'intergrated' or 'modular'?

Last edited by: Greg/ORD: Jan 6, 05 10:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK King,

I've just got to know -

Do you have the same theoretical/ethical bizarrely comical fixation/problem with every single other damn bearing application on the entire G**damn planet?

Or, to put it another way,

can you show me a single example, other than a bicycle, where the manufacturer mechanically seats a redundant bearing race in order to support a sealed bearing SET that has it's own integral race?

A non-"integrated headset" is a great idea if:

-Your QC sucks

-You don't do your own heat-treat, don't machine bearing surfaces post heat treat, or otherwise F-up your frame at manufacture.

-You are a crappy builder, and can't build a headtube to spec well enough to fit a standard bearing set square and true

-You are a HS manufacturer famous for a fanatical level of detail and quality of manufacturing, building to an antiquated standard that requires that level of detail, especially considering that your design is single sealed, and pretty much perfect, but very expensive to manufacture, and functionally identical to a 5$ bearing set dropped into a well-made frame with an "integrated" HS.

-You are a gear fetishist with a fixation on HS's and downtube shifters

Perdido is just plain stupid. Notice all the spec it's getting...

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what some call "modular".
Quote Reply
Re: MOdular headsets: not the same shite that Integrated Headsets are [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am uncertain if you are trying to insult me or if you're trying to insult me.

I am going to let you wonder, as I detect a condescending tone. If you can clarify yourself, I will answer.

If you don't, then I have nothing more to say.
Quote Reply