Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
M60 marathon world record
Quote | Reply
Now that I'm up in the M50, this seems almost impossible and I didn't understand what it meant when I was like 30, or even 40....wonder how that age grades out...

https://athleticsweekly.com/...round-up-1039936821/

Tommy Hughes runs 2:30 to break M60 marathon record – weekly round-up
Posted by Steve Smythe | Oct 26, 2020 |

Olympian takes six minutes off previous over-60 mark in Northern Ireland
We take a look at some of the recent highlights from the world of athletics.
Down Royal Marathon, Northern Ireland, October 25
Tommy Hughes broke the world masters M60 marathon record when he won the race outright in 2:30:02 to take six minutes off the previous record mark of 2:36:30 set by Japan’s Yoshihisa Hosaka at the Beppu Marathon in 2009.
In windy conditions, he won from Colin Heron.
Hughes also set an M60 world best of 71:09 at the Antrim Coast Half Marathon (pictured) last month.

Quote Reply
Re: M60 marathon world record [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

shoes for reference. adjusting for 4%... 02:36:02
Quote Reply
Re: M60 marathon world record [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
shoes for reference. adjusting for 4%... 02:36:02

No

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your issue? No one cares.

I’ll add to the mute you club.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol... your personal webpage has photos of big fat GPS watches, some kind of swim tech thing... what kind of bike do you ride?

You don't think all of those things don't help you "cheat" people who came before you and didn't have access to those performance enhancers.

yeesh, give it a rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not even Nike claims 4% increase in speed. Running economy and speed are not linearly related.

But then what did I expect from a troll...
Quote Reply
Re: M60 marathon world record [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Not even Nike claims 4% increase in speed. Running economy and speed are not linearly related.

kind of like saying switching from roadie to tri bike to save 30 watts doesnt make your faster?

https://www.wired.com/story/do-nikes-new-marathon-shoes-make-you-faster-a-nike-funded-study-says-yes/
Last edited by: synthetic: Oct 28, 20 8:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what?
Quote Reply
Re: M60 marathon world record [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What an amazing performance!! :-) the shoe debate is just a non-sense, this guy deserves big kudos!!

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: M60 marathon world record [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
So what?

So my point is OP shouldn't get down on himself for his past efforts since the full human effort has not moved
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All that training advice on here, showing new and improved understanding of the limits of humans, physical and mental, is useless?
We should stop standing on the shoulders of giants. Because the full human effort has not moved.

Buster Crabbe is still the faster swimmer.
Take back the speedos?

The Penny Farthing should be UCI legal
(the hell with tubeless)

Pheidippides was, is and will always be, the best.
(too bad Abebe Bikela and Zola Budd)

Luddites unite.
And in the time honoured classic Slowtwitch response, the OP should HTFU

ps But I will accept Muhammad Ali...;0)
Last edited by: michael Hatch: Oct 28, 20 11:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His records can - and will - be broken, but Ed Whitlock [RIP] shall always be the Gold Standard of 60+ runners

YMMV

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: M60 marathon world record [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
His records can - and will - be broken, but Ed Whitlock [RIP] shall always be the Gold Standard of 60+ runners

YMMV

Gene dykes should be. Beat Ed's record by seconds, not given praise because even though the race was usatf certified, not sanctioned. Now in 80+ ed is still the man
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whitlock trained in a cemetery

Bonus points for that; records notwithstanding

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He sure is fast, but he looks 80!

PS - I am in M60 and sure hope I don't look that old (even though you will have to wait an addition hour+ for me!)!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: M60 marathon world record [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

PS - I am in M60 and sure hope I don't look that old (even though you will have to wait an addition hour+ for me!)!

I'm M45 and I continue to be horrified with how old/aged I look in my race photos.

Then I revisit them 5 years later and marvel at how young/svelte I looked back then!
Quote Reply
Re: M60 marathon world record [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not long ago, I found a photo of myself taken after a Sprint Tri down the shore, many, many years ago = before we had D'Kid

From the neck down, I was fairly studly [beefy shoulders & arms, flat tummy], but my face looked terribly gaunt - my eyes were especially sunken, almost deathly, but that may have just been the residual google marks?

After The Big Quit, and gaining that missing healthy weight back, I vowed to not go that deep again

Although D'Wife still calls me "Skinny Little Shit" and probably will forevermore

Quote Reply
Re: M60 marathon world record [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

3:30 at M60 is legit!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

kind of like saying switching from roadie to tri bike to save 30 watts doesnt make your faster?

https://www.wired.com/story/do-nikes-new-marathon-shoes-make-you-faster-a-nike-funded-study-says-yes/

Are you slow?

I said the relationship isn't linear. They make you faster but not 1:1 with running economy.

From the article you linked yourself: "Vaporfly prototype ran an average of 4 percent more efficiently" (not "faster"). It then goes on to say we are not seeing 4% faster runs.

Using your own analogy: If you are pushing 300W and now save 30W by switching bikes, you will not go 10% faster because the relationship between speed and drag is a square function, not linear. You'd go roughly 3% faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
synthetic wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

Are you slow?

I said the relationship isn't linear. They make you faster but not 1:1 with running economy.

From the article you linked yourself: "Vaporfly prototype ran an average of 4 percent more efficiently" (not "faster"). It then goes on to say we are not seeing 4% faster runs.

Using your own analogy: If you are pushing 300W and now save 30W by switching bikes, you will not go 10% faster because the relationship between speed and drag is a square function, not linear. You'd go roughly 3% faster.

...in the end this is not a negligible difference anymore. Chemical doping gives 1% increase in performance....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
david wrote:

3:30 at M60 is legit!!

Well, it is a WR.....

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
...in the end this is not a negligible difference anymore. Chemical doping gives 1% increase in performance....

You are referencing numbers that you don't even understand, so just stop.

1% for which "chemical"? 1% of what?

This guy beat the record by 6 minutes. The shoes do not contribute 6 minutes at 2:30 pace. But that's exactly what you claimed above
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
synthetic wrote:

You are referencing numbers that you don't even understand, so just stop.

1% for which "chemical"? 1% of what?

This guy beat the record by 6 minutes. The shoes do not contribute 6 minutes at 2:30 pace. But that's exactly what you claimed above

the 1meter x 1meter location where you are using you computer is flat. Therefore, the earth is flat. Quit skirting the issue these shoes do indeed result in faster times. I guess we need to go back to times of roman olympics where athletes compete in the nude.
Quote Reply

Prev Next