Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

M2 workout definitions
Quote | Reply
I was reading some of the articles on Michael McCormack's website. Interesting stuff. He says there are 3 key workouts in the week: 1 long distance, 1 threshold, and 1 short and fast.

The long workout is self-explanatory, but does anyone know what sorts of workouts would fit the bill for threshold and fast? For the bike, would 3 x 20min be a threshold workout? What about for the run?
Quote Reply
Re: M2 workout definitions [donm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yea, a 2x20 or 3x20 (ouch) would be tough for sure and very much a FTP workout. For running I like to do shorter reps ala 3x8min with 2min walk/jog between each.

Did 2x20's Sat morning on the trainer and 3x8's Wed on the road!

Kurt

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Re: M2 workout definitions [donm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For triathletes, I don't understand why you wouldn't do more tempo (zone 3 power) rides. I don't tri (road race) but I still find benefit in longer tempo rides at 85-90% of threshold power. On the wattage forum, these are starting to be known as the "sweet spot" rides. I've been using them for the last 3 years with great success. It makes the transition to threshold easier and also gives me a few extra watts over previous threshold power. I make these 90-120 minute efforts at that power and the last 15-20 minutes hurts. Since I do duathlons, I try to do the same kind of effort on the run workout (6+ miles at a tempo pace).

Threshold workouts (and the overprescribed 2x20s - I like variety such as 4x10, 4x15, 2x20, 2x30, 3x20, 1x60, etc) have their place but nothing gives me race fitness like extended tempo rides.
Quote Reply