Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Luke Bell wins 1/2 IM in 3hr 45 mins
Quote | Reply
Luke Bell today won the Shepparton 1/2 IM in a time of 3:45:45.

Shepparton's a town of approx. 25,000 people about 2 hrs north of Melbourne. Its people are renowned for the great Aussie tradition of Rootin', Disputin' and Shootin'. Yep, she's wild up there, maybe that's why Bell went so quick, he just wanted to get the hell outta there. Check his times out below.

MEN SWIM BIKE RUN TOTAL

1 Luke Bell swim: 20:03 ride: 2:06:16 run: 1:16:45 Total: 3:45:45

2 Craig McKenzie 24:45 2:18:10 1:10:06 3:52:02

3 Damian Angus 25:29 2:16:11 1:16:03 3:57:43

4 David Meade 27:06 2:14:47 1:14:57 3:57:44

5 Tully Lister 25:52 2:17:07 1:21:57 4:04:57

Aussie Osborne
Quote Reply
Re: Luke Bell wins 1/2 IM in 3hr 45 mins [Aussie Osborne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great effort from Bell but that swim just has to be short doesn't it?

Even the Bike might be a bit suspect - that is approaching Jan Sibbersen (probably even better) and Bjorn Andersson type splits.

I did the Tauranga Half in NZ (2003) that Cameron Brown won in 3:52 (from memory) and clocked the bike course at 86km and change. The exact same speedo had the Taupo Ironman at 180.5k so I am sure that Tauranga was well short.

Bit strange that race organisers often get measurements so wrong. eg Roth and the famous case of the London Tri when I think Simon Lessing won with a run split that was either just over or just under Haille Gabresallasies (spelling??) 10 k world record.

The lad is flying though!
Quote Reply
Re: Luke Bell wins 1/2 IM in 3hr 45 mins [Diamond Adam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Angus and Meade swam 54 and 56 at Forster so their swim times aren't all that far out of line but 20mins seems Hackett like. Was the swim in the lake or in the Goulbourn River? They also went 4.49 and 51 on the bike at Forster so their bike splits at Shepp don't look unrealistic. Shepp's a pretty flat town so you'd expect fast bike times.

Looks like young Luke is a lad on a mission, maybe next year will be HIS year. He certainly has the scope to win at Kona one day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race directer is a surveyer - It is dead accurate. Luke got out of the water with a speedy John Van Wisse, rode in perfect conditions, and ran well (7min slower than fastest run split) to go on and win, with dog across the line!

Is it the fastes half IM time ever recorded?

pinkboy

In the power never given to me in the name of slowman, king high ruler and Grand Hunky Poo Ba of the blessed land of Slowtwitchia I dub thee "Sir pinkboy the Awsomator" This honor is given to thee for the reason of being not only freakin' awsome but totally sweet. By the use of the color Pink to fly your freak flag and bring smiles to frowny faces. *Mr. Tibbs*

Quote Reply
Re: Luke Bell wins 1/2 IM in 3hr 45 mins [pinkboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK I wont say the swim was short, I'll say it was "fast."

I think Paul Amey won a half in Canbera a couple of years back that was blisteringly quick also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Paul Amey went 03:48:12 at Canberra that time but the bike course was very fast that day and the run perhaps a little short "

Quoted off Transitions (ST equivilent site), by someone who raced there.

pinkboy

In the power never given to me in the name of slowman, king high ruler and Grand Hunky Poo Ba of the blessed land of Slowtwitchia I dub thee "Sir pinkboy the Awsomator" This honor is given to thee for the reason of being not only freakin' awsome but totally sweet. By the use of the color Pink to fly your freak flag and bring smiles to frowny faces. *Mr. Tibbs*

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Luke's swim was actually 23.03 (not 20.03 as seen on xtri), which still adds up to a 3.45. I was there and the swim seemed the right distance,the bike measured 90.15 (on my clock) and the run is supposed to be very accurate. He was FLYING.
Quote Reply
Re: Luke Bell wins 1/2 IM in 3hr 45 mins [cankles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah ha a man that has checked the facts! - that makes a lot more sense. Go the Bell!
Quote Reply
Re: Luke Bell wins 1/2 IM in 3hr 45 mins [pinkboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a link to that Transition site?
Quote Reply
Re: Luke Bell wins 1/2 IM in 3hr 45 mins [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Luke Bell wins 1/2 IM in 3hr 45 mins [cankles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.transition.org.au

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smoking times...even if this course is accurate, it would be a bit quicker than some others. If I recall, Damien Angus was around 4:10 at Tupper Lake 2003.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This lends support to my contention that a 7:30 IM is possible. a .75h swim, 4.10h bike and 2.6h run will do it. I think we will see it in about 10 years. It will require the top pros to start racing a la Helreigle and Larsen, and then, also have to race the run.

In that same race Susan Peters won for the women, with a bike split 12 minutes faster than #2, coming into T2 with a 6 minute lead, which she maintained in the run. It is possible for more than a few to bike and run fast at the same time.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Luke Bell wins 1/2 IM in 3hr 45 mins [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope...no way.
it took an awesome race to go 7h50' in Roth with a lot of draft from the motorbike. that was an 11' jump in 10years...now you are talking about a 20' jump in similar timeframe without drafting...

Bjorn went 'only' 4h26' in Florida.
if you take 42' of Sibbersen, 4h14' of Zack behind motorbikes and a 2h36' of LVL you get 7h32' to which you add 4' transistion or so...

NO WAY. not in 10 years anyway...maybe 25y, 30y...not in 10 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Luke Bell wins 1/2 IM in 3hr 45 mins [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, i'm told that epo gives you an automatic 15% improvement (in what i'm not sure), so in the next 10-15 years, i'm sure some crazy good drugs/doping techniques will turn up. 7:30 will be very doable with the right genetic anomaly combined with the right doping methods.
Quote Reply
Re: Luke Bell wins 1/2 IM in 3hr 45 mins [Ben in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got to agree with Francios - no way.

What you are implying is that up until now no performances have been drug assisted, all of a sudden top pros will hit the juice and push each other under 7:30.

I don't know where you got the 15% improvement but it will definitely not be in speed. If you work that out a 5 hr bike split becomes 4:15, a 3 hr run becomes a 2:33 and a 9 hr IM becomes 7:39.

Not even Nina Kraft improved that much in a season!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I few comments are in order:

1. A very impressive time for Bell. Kudos to him.

2. How accurate was the course(s) measured? With all due respect, our sport is notorious for in-accurately measured courses - typically short. This happens in races from the local volunteer neighbourhood kids tri right on up to the ITU World Championships and Ironman events.

3. It's pretty hard to get absolutly ideal conditions for a long distance triathlon. There always seems to be something that comes up - waves, wind, heat etc . .. However, once in a while you do get absolutly perfect conditions that yield some awesome times.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt that 7:30 IM is possible. But then many other performances were believed to be records forever....which was proven totally wrong.

Anyway, the reason I'm doubting that 7:30 is ever possible is from an energy standpoint. How do you fuel your body to perform that long at such high intensities? The performance at Endurance events, as you sure know, depends on energy availability, mainly CHO substrates. It's the inability to maintain adequate blood glucose levels that causes athletes to slow down and perform at a lower intensity. Although I do not have exact numbers on energy expenditure during an IM, this could easily be calculated through the measurements of oxygen consumption. In fact, it would make it an interesting study. Measure the oxygen consumption of today's fastest IM swimmer during the swim, measure the rate of Andersson's oxygen consumption during his IM bike intensity, and measure the O2 consumption of the fastest IM runners during the run. One could easily calculate the energy expenditure during those individual's IM disciplines. Glycogen stores are limited, as is the rate of carbohydrate uptake/digestion. Do you think the rate of energy expenditure would be equal/greater than the sum of energy from the glycogen stores and carbohydrate absorption during the 7.5hrs? Take into account that the athlete will most likely not consume any CHO during the first 45min...This would mean that the athlete can only absorb around 2025 to 2700Cal during the event (300-400Cal/hr x 6.75hrs). Would make it an interesting study. Even if it is possible, we measured 3 different athletes. I'm sure we all agree that the best swimmer is more economical in the water than the others. Same for the bike and run.

I believe that 7.5hrs IM is possible if the doped athletes receives intravenous glucose during the bike and therefore starts the marathon with plenty of glycogen stores left.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Re: Luke Bell wins 1/2 IM in 3hr 45 mins [theswiss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a new energy drink/food needs to be invented. Maybe even something that injects glucose straight into the body like you said. Sort of like a diabetic measurement thing, but one that injects not draws.

Also the course needs to be superfast. Maybe a double distance of the race Luke Bell went 3:45 at..
Quote Reply
Re: Luke Bell wins 1/2 IM in 3hr 45 mins [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In relation to course measurement, this is the same course they use at Shep every year. I can understand that the swim might be out by a bit but the bike a run haven't changed from previous years, so they still should be comparible. The weather as good for riding and running as can be seen from McKenzie's run split of 1.10 and overall time of 3.53. This was apparently his first half, coming from sprint distance triathlon/duathlon. The dude can run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to Bell. Great race.

Looks like the course was short but a great race nonetheless.
Quote Reply
Re: Luke Bell wins 1/2 IM in 3hr 45 mins [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not the drink/food, it's your body's ability to absorb the nutrients. why allow intravenous supplementation? It's illegal, it's doping and doesn't help the sport. I only mentioned intravenous CHO supplementation because this is the only way I see a 7.5hrs IM possible.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Re: Luke Bell wins 1/2 IM in 3hr 45 mins [theswiss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To answer your question and many other comments at the same time.

Where will it come from? From improved efficiency from improved technique, and improved balance and excellence in the three sports. In the past most athletes have had only one, at most two, competitive legs. This will change as more better utilize PC's. If people go faster for the same energy expenditure in all three disciplines, then it is not necessary to dope, or increase fuel uptake, or anything else. Further, the PC's tend to make the good bikers good runners and vice versa. The improvements will come mostly from improved technique, IMHO and PC's will be the basis for most of the improvement. That is my opinion. All one needs is a very good swimmer to also be a very good biker and very good runner, and put it all together on one day. It will help if there are several people pushing each other. It is starting to happen. None of the times necessary are exceptional times taken alone. I don't see why it can't or won't be done unless someone expects it to be done by me.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seriously doubt PC's will play a role in any athlete being able to do a 7.5 hr Ironman. I also doubt that if it is ever done that the user will even have used PC's.

There really doesn't seem to be any evidence, theoretical or actual, to support this claim.
Quote Reply
Re: Luke Bell wins 1/2 IM in 3hr 45 mins [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what claim?
Quote Reply

Prev Next