Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lucy Charles Starting Youtube Channel
Quote | Reply
In Lucys latest post she pretty much announced she is starting a youtube Channel.

Post here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtgadaOBt_I/

IMO: I think youtube channels are absolutely fantastic as it gives fans and athletes a Inside look at these athletes life's without them having to do much work them selfs. A lot of people see this as copying some of the OG Channels like Linsey Corbin, Lionel, Gwen but I see this as a massive movement for our sport. I absolutely love that though youtube we can find out more about the athletes lifes/training from their own personal mini TV series.

What are your thoughts?
Keep the channels going or go back to the days of no media and race coverage?
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Starting Youtube Channel [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously the only correct answer here is that those channels are completely ridiculous, the people who make them are insufferable attention seekers, and I truly want it all to vanish into the deep dark of outer space.

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keep em comin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's quality content and she has a unique spin on things, then it is very welcomed.
Just want ensuring that it doesn't copy/paste the formula being used on other channels as a way to market her sponsors brands.

While we do understand that marketing is a part of this as well, we just want to ensure we're getting something unique.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Starting Youtube Channel [stax88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope it’s not just of bunch of training (to watts/time) we can’t see set to some techno music..

Maybes it’s just me, but I want to see the real struggles these athletes deal with. Not the usual training we all do. I want to see insecurities and struggles all laid out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like watching things related to the sports I do on youtube. I am curious what novel things she will do. I think she will def be a good face for any prospective girls looking to explore triathlon and I think she will have a unique approach considering everything else is primarily a male point of view (outside Gwen). Honestly, the best vlogger to me is Sage Canaday. If we could get some athletes in triathlon to produce content like him it would be gold. Granted, he has a very unique perspective as well and is extremely educated in physiology and coaching, but to me that is what I love to watch. I like the intricacies of the sport, talks about certain elements of training; why you do them, when you do them, what they do to your body; race preperation; technical elements, whatever. There is a lot everyone can do and with this sport I think it would be cool to hear more talk about potential negative effects to the training and how these athletes cope or mitigate them. For example, Cody Beals and his transperancy with eating disorders and hormonal issues.

As much as I want to be entertained on youtube, the people I subscribe to are those I feel like I can learn from.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Starting Youtube Channel [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Hope it’s not just of bunch of training (to watts/time) we can’t see set to some techno music..

Maybes it’s just me, but I want to see the real struggles these athletes deal with. Not the usual training we all do. I want to see insecurities and struggles all laid out there.

You said this well. I've been watching Cody Miller's videos and enjoy his style. He recounts victories and failures in his past, shares things from outside training as well.

At the end of the day, we need these to be stories. I think one of the reason Casey Neistat's videos are so addictive is not just the quality of the clips he gets. It's the fact that every video is a narrative that has a purpose. It's not just a bunch of clips spliced together. For that, I can go on Instagram. If you're making a 5min+ video, give me a short story line, something that is going to engage me, not just a fun pump up video. While the latter can be considered fun, the former is what is really engaging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Lucy, she's fun. Obviously it's a way for her to create a better value proposition for her Sponsors, as a young, beautiful woman, whom also is spunky, and the two-time 2nd place finisher at Kona her stock is only going up. So create more leverage and reach to MAKE THAT MONEY.

My other comment has nothing to do with her specifically but all of the athletes doing content with that other guy who has a thread whom many of us find insufferable.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finalement!!!

https://www.youtube.com/...wMCPf9RSSTNTg/videos

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Starting Youtube Channel [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vijeet88 wrote:
thatzone wrote:

You said this well. I've been watching Cody Miller's videos and enjoy his style. He recounts victories and failures in his past, shares things from outside training as well.

At the end of the day, we need these to be stories. I think one of the reason Casey Neistat's videos are so addictive is not just the quality of the clips he gets. It's the fact that every video is a narrative that has a purpose. It's not just a bunch of clips spliced together. For that, I can go on Instagram. If you're making a 5min+ video, give me a short story line, something that is going to engage me, not just a fun pump up video. While the latter can be considered fun, the former is what is really engaging.

Agree with everything you said. Cody Miller's channel is good because he's authentic and kind of a goof. What do we know about Lucy Charles after that video? That she gets her hair done before the race and she liked the hotel?
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Starting Youtube Channel [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:

Absolutely agree- would love to see the ‘negatives’ around this sport and how she copes. Failed workouts, a bad day with no power, race analysis of what went right and wrong etc. I don’t care about her battle braids and hashtags of betherecordbreaker and nothing’s impossible. We are human, we fail daily. Show us hers
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Starting Youtube Channel [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
vijeet88 wrote:
thatzone wrote:

Agree with everything you said. Cody Miller's channel is good because he's authentic and kind of a goof. What do we know about Lucy Charles after that video? That she gets her hair done before the race and she liked the hotel?

Michael Andrew's channel is good also. Similar to Cody Miller's, although is probably more focused on things outside of the pool than Cody's.

Yeah, Lucy could do more to let people into 'her world', which is what a vlog should do imo. Laura Phillip kinda does this on the female side.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Starting Youtube Channel [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looked like most other triathlon based YouTube videos. Training...check, EDM...check, Posh Resort...check, Raceday...check. I guess she did have a unique female perspective with the braided hair. I think she could give female fans some relatable content. I’m not sure what I watched will peak my interest.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Starting Youtube Channel [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
vijeet88 wrote:
thatzone wrote:

^This.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Starting Youtube Channel [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Love it love it love it!!
I can feel the energy. What a great athlete!
It’s just the first one so just chill and see what comes next. She’s just so positive and energetic.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Starting Youtube Channel [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yawn... agree that there was nothing very insightful or interesting in this first installment to tempt me to watch the next one...

mwanner13 wrote:
It looked like most other triathlon based YouTube videos. Training...check, EDM...check, Posh Resort...check, Raceday...check. I guess she did have a unique female perspective with the braided hair. I think she could give female fans some relatable content. I’m not sure what I watched will peak my interest.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Starting Youtube Channel [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's well shot, very professional looking. And I hope she does well with the channel, she seems like she has a great personality. But that personality doesn't come out in this first video. It looks like a promo video for IMSA, you could substitute any other pro triathlete for Lucy and it would be virtually identical.

People are talking about Cody Miller on this thread, for good reason. He's basically a nerd (a very fast nerd) with a camera, and his quirkiness and positivity comes out. because of that, he's relatable. Anyone who swam though HS / college can identify with getting to the pool at 5:15am and no-one on deck is talking at all.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 3, 19 9:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
In Lucys latest post she pretty much announced she is starting a youtube Channel.

Post here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtgadaOBt_I/

IMO: I think youtube channels are absolutely fantastic as it gives fans and athletes a Inside look at these athletes life's without them having to do much work them selfs. A lot of people see this as copying some of the OG Channels like Linsey Corbin, Lionel, Gwen but I see this as a massive movement for our sport. I absolutely love that though youtube we can find out more about the athletes lifes/training from their own personal mini TV series.

What are your thoughts?
Keep the channels going or go back to the days of no media and race coverage?

I followed her on Insta for about 3 days, until I realised that it was just basically advertising her sponsors. Nothing wrong with that, but not really what I wanted.
I would imagine her YouTube channel would be similar.
Quote Reply