Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lower leg pain when I run
Quote | Reply
New to the site as a member, but I have been a follower for sometime. I have had pain crop up in my runs for about the past month and a half just below the gastroc muscle in my left calf. It started after my first weight session of the off season with my legs. I did calf raises things were obviously tight after that first time back. The next evening I went and ran on the treadmill and about 20 min into my run my calf siezed up similar to a cramp. Stopped and stretched really well. It was sore the next day, but by the second day felt better and I tried to run again. I may have made it half a mile and It was back. I gave it about two weeks with once or twice on the eliptical and rode some on my trainer. The next time I ran it came back about 1 mile into it. Hobbled home. Gave it about two more weeks because of christmas and vacation. 1st run back no problem, second run about a mile into it my friend was back. Gave it a few days and ran again just to go through the same situation. Each time the pain comes on gradually during my run. I can run through the pain, but it is very sore and tight. After I run and the next day especially it is very sore and tight. I'm usually very good about stretching. I need opinions on if I tore something or if It is just a strain. I also would gladly appreciate any ideas on what I can do to get through it. it is getting very depressing with the season around the corner. Sorry this is way too long and thanks for the help
Quote Reply
Re: Lower leg pain when I run [GrindinTeeth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like based on your description you have done something more than just a strain or sprain...you might have injured yourself in a weight session but it didn't show up until you ran. Can't really know for sure---if it were me, I would be asking this of a sports medicine doc rather than here. Until you get the problem diagnosed it will be hard to give you options as to what you can do to maintain fitness while getting through this...

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the physical part, go see a doctor, and for god sakes, if it hurts, don't run. You are probably just making it worse. As for the mental side of things, when I read the other thread from Bosco, who has a brain tumor, my screwed up knee and bleek future in the sport of triathlon no longer seemed like that big of a deal. I'm learning to count my blessings and not worry about what I can't do. Most things will heal given the right rehab and the right amount of time.

- Steve
http://bailey.sts.winisp.net
Quote Reply
Re: Lower leg pain when I run [SeattleSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice guys. I know it just needs rest, guess I just needed to here it from others. I know in the grand scheme of things a strained calf is nothing to gripe about........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, sounds like a gasto-soleus aponeurosis partial tear. Rest will heal this (but unfortunately, it takes about 6 weeks). You can certianly swim during this and possibly spin some. Running is a big no, sorry...

Re: Lower leg pain when I run [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My plantaris tendon tear(s) sounded somewhat similar to this in the not-being-able-to-run category. Different onset of pain, with swelling and a double-knot at each end of the tear. It seems strange to me that with some of these calf maladies, you can ride, but walking or running is painful. However, if your calf hurts when you ride, you'll always hurt when walking or running.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also had this problem. Dont know if yours is more severe though. Bottom line, if you go see a doctor they will give you the old R.I.C.E. (rest, ice, compression, elevation) story. And it will work. I took two weeks off and switched shoes. no more issues. I went to a very well respected phys. therapist in my area that specializes in running injuries. He looked at all my shoes and determined that I made a switch to a shoe with a much less substantial heal and that this caused a bit of overextension in my calf. I took two weeks off and went back to a more substantial shoe, in my case an Asics Landreth, and I have no more issues. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Lower leg pain when I run [Race13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GO SEE A DOC ASAP. I have no clue what you might have done to yourself, but I know from personal experience getting treatment sooner rather than later is WAY better. I ran on a broken ankle for nearly a year. First I ignored it for 6 months then, after finding out it was broken, tried "taking iteasy" during training but still raced. Now I am two weeks removed from getting two Ti screws and some wire in my ankle to repair the fracture along with the tendon that runs along the lower tibia, which I had nearly severed in half. Now I am in a cast for the next 6-8 weeks, followed by a slow recovery with lots of PT to rebuild the tendon.

The point is don't be a moron and ignore the injury like I did. Get it taken care of now to avoid major problems down the road.

Good luck

Tim

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply